• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What say you of the broguing of these shoes?

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'm sure everyone here subscribes to boing boing but just in case ... check out the broguing on these shoes...

Z_39424.jpg

FlaneurNYC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Barker Black shoes. Skulls had a moment. Unfortunately, a motif quickly becomes tired these days.

At this point, wearing skulls looks like you're late at a party that is nearly over. And Barker Black has made it their logo. Perhaps in five years the recent skull moment will be forgotten and one could wear these again.

http://www.barkerblack.com/collection.html

mishon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is that skull and bones? The leather has a cheap look or it may just be the picture.

nmoraitis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mishon
Is that skull and bones? The leather has a cheap look or it may just be the picture.

My younger brother has the Brown Calf/Brown Suede Spectator and the leather is definitely thin. The C&J Bench made is a superior shoe. Not very good value, but he loves them and that's what matters.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
In a word....

no

sartort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i'm going to go against the grain and defend barker black here. i don't own any pairs yet, but hope to own one pair soon. i have a pair of c&j, a pair of egs for rlpl (with another on the way) and i've seen bb in person. i must say that they appear fairly well constructed to me. some lasts/styles are better than others. the leathers aren't as interesting as the antiquing on eg, but not many are imo (including lobb's museum calf, but i digress)? at full retail, i agree, i would rather buy a pair of eg's on discount. but, on sale, i think they are not necessarily a good value, but a fun shoe nonetheless.

i think a lot fo the bb bashers on here haven't seen a pair in person. the skull and bones motif gets plastered around with close up shots, but from eye level down to feet level, it is really hardly noticeable, especially to the avg non-sf person. i appreciate what they are trying to do, even if it is novel.

dave

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
A lot to pay for novelty clothing, in my book.

unfortunately that's probably too true.

But I'd wear em if they were more reasonably priced. I espcially like the black and white specs someone posted in the spectator thread a few weeks back.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually kind of like the buckshot broguing. I mean the skull and bones is cool, but it's gotten sort of overexposed and would not be anything more than a novelty shoe in any case.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's not my thing, but it's also subtle enough that the vast majority of people won't notice. How often could somebody answer the question "Did he have an Arabesque or a thistle pattern on his wing tips?" As for quality, I've never seen them.

16520Man

Reaction score
I'll second the "going against the grain" ethic here. The broguing is very subtle; you generally have to point out the memento mori for it to be noticed. The last is elegant and the leather -- once broken in -- is actually comfortable and attractive.
BBSpectators07.jpg
BBSpectators08.jpg
BB%20Spectators%2001.jpg
BB%20Spectators%2002.jpg
BB%20Spectators%2003.jpg
BB%20Spectators%2004.jpg
BB%20Spectators%2005.jpg

dave

Reaction score
yeah, those are the ones i was talking about. they look great!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads