• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Charles Edwards Shirtmaker (Melbourne)

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by snailtrail83
I called Charles Nakhle recently and asked him if he could make a shirt over the weekend)? He replied he couldn't as he wouldn't have any machinists. I don't know what he meant by that, but he gets other people to help him make shirts? He did say if I came in early on a business day that he may be able to make a shirt in one day though...
Yes, that's right Charles employs people in his workshop - just like Alex Kabbaz. And just as in Alex Kabbaz's workshop they use a sewing machine. If you really wanted to get a shirt like iammatt's Anna Matuozzo Napoli bespoke shirts - with one machine stitch and one hand stitch - Charles says he is perfectly capable of doing it for you but expect wait weeks to months and pay 700-900 AUD per shirt depending on the fabric. He would have to do all the work himself as his workers are insufficiently trained in doing handwork to do the work for him.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alexander Scriabin
Aster shirts are very, very nice. I have a few of them myself. On par with, oh, say, higher end Zegna shirts or so.

Beware of Henry Bucks. There is a fantastic 'old world' image they put forward but their qualitiy has gone WAY downhill the past few years. Mediocre at best. It's all a bit of a facade really.

There are a few decent tailors in Melbourne, but shirtmakers are few and far between indeed.

What about the German van Laacks shirts made in Vietnam? My brother in Germany has the made in Deutschland jobs and they are fantastic.

HappymaN

Reaction score
Sator, what sort of fabric do you get from Nahkle for that price, ~220AU?

Aus_MD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
Quite a variety especially Tessitura Monti Spa, which is excellent value for money.

And some from the SIC Tess fabric books will be around that price (depending on buttons etc).

snailtrail83

Reaction score
Came back from Sydney on the Weekend, and visited Charles Nahkle. Ended up going on a bit of a splurge and bought 5 shirts. He is a really nice guy. He looked at me and said "long arms" and then proceeded to guess my measurements. Quite funny - and he was at most 1 - 2cm off after he "measured" me properly.

I didn't go with the intention of buying from specific mills, I just chose what I liked, and in the end, the total price was cheaper than I thought it would be. I'll probably never buy an OTR shirt again... haha.

My first shirt should arrive sometime next week, and I'll post up pictures if anyone is interested.

joneblaze

Reaction score
Snailtrail (or anyone else) - any chance of posting up a few pics of Charles N's work? Have searched but have been unable to find any examples.

cheers

Jon

misterjase

Reaction score
anyone have a critique/picture of a shirt from Charles Edwards?

ricotta

Reaction score
has anyone here had a shirt made with both Charles Edwards and Hemden?

just curious as to how the two might differ; i've had one made at Hemden and am not sure whether to give Charles a shot as well. they go for a bit more (~$550 vs Hemden's $425/380 for the first shirt/subsequent shirts) so i'm wondering how much happier people are with them.

also, could anyone confirm whether Charles does all the shirts himself? that's the impression he gave when i spoke to him, but posts above indicate otherwise.

__PG__

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Journeyman
I've been tempted by shirts from places such as Herringbone, Rhodes and Beckett, MCM Studio and the like on a few occasions, but I always baulk at paying their prices.

I just wait for the sales. It's just mass produced stuff and even at 50% off they still make a margin.

When you shop at the distributors for labels like Canali, Cantarelli, Boss etc and the price that you can get a suit or shirt for, relative to what you at Henry Bucks/David Jones etc charge...even on sale....it defies belief sometimes.

AbsoluteStyle

Reaction score
How is Charles Nakhle's turnaround time? Does he require multiple fittings?

I ask b/c if I do go up to Sydney, it'll be a short trip. i.e. go up on a sunday (i hear he doesn't work on sundays) and come back late monday night. I could possibly make it two days though... i.e. early sat to late mon or sunday to late tuesday...

Obviously he won't be able to make a shirt in a day, so I'm also wondering if he posts the shirts to melbourne.

Charles can make a shirt overnight if you ask him to... he makes it himself in his workshop!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads