• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cigarette Lighters.

caelte

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Edward Appleby
I think becuase he wasn't classicly handsome, nor affectedly posh or cultured, Humphery Bogart was the coolest man in history, in the strictest sense of the word.
No, taking all history into consideration and excluding mythical pre-history, Steve McQueen is the coolest man with a cigarette.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Or:

sjff_03_img1214.jpg

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by caelte
No, taking all history into consideration and excluding mythical pre-history, Steve McQueen is the coolest man with a cigarette.

McQueen would probably be able to pull broads better than Bogie, but compared to Humphrey Steve comes off a bit fussy.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's a Ronson Whirlwind, with a retractable cover around the wick:
DSC01089.jpg
DSC01090.jpg

casanova

Reaction score
Top smoking accessories for me would be a Dunhill Rollagas in black lacquer, or possibly a sterling silver zippo - utilitarian and exclusive...

But the ultimate piece of cigarette lighting paraphenalia simply has to be an enameled matchbox by Faberge. There were a few in a Sotheby's sale a year or so ago. Estimates ran between 300 and 800 GBP, or 600-1600 USD at todays prices. If you'll pay 500 USD for a lighter it's not such a huge premium and the pleasure (and cachet) of owning an original Faberge piece must be immense.

It just cropped up in my mind as I had a new Sotheby's catalogue in my door the other day for a sale that has a few Faberge pieces. Might be worth a look for anybody who really wants to impress...

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Thank you for being one of the few, the proud, to spell 'cachet' correctly.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
People try cache and cachÃ
00a9.png
all the time.

casanova

Reaction score
I believe terrorist organisations keep guns in a cache. Usually in a ditch or abandoned outbuilding. I hope nobody would keep their Faberge in one of those. Not that many terrorists would be buying enameled match-boxes in the first place.

: )

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Indeed, a Faberge case would enhance the look immensely. The San Francisco socialite, John Traina, has a large collection of rare Faberge cigarette cases which were covered in a book that was published called The Faberge Case. Those prices do not sound bad for a Faberge cigarette case. In fact, they're cheaper than what say, an 18kt gold case by Asprey would bring. Amongst the pens that Namiki did for Dunhill, they also did cigarette case and lighter sets that are magnificent.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Here's my former daily carry lighter, a nicely worn silverplate Rollagas I found in a thrift shop for about $50. I lost it somehow, which is very unlike me. It must have fallen out of a pocket some long night.

resizeofp1020232ne2.jpg

I'd like to replace it. Currently my carry lighter is a Dunhill Unique in goldplate but I'm hesitant to take it out because it was a gift, brand new, and I don't want to put the first major ding in it.

casanova

Reaction score
Those prices are for matchboxes. There were a few cigarette cases in that sale as I recall. Much more expensive than that though I'm afraid. You'll find them on the Sotheby's site. There was a sale inside the past year of Faberge pieces, in London I think, because the prices were quoted in GBP. A quick search should turn them up if you're interested.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by casanova
Those prices are for matchboxes. There were a few cigarette cases in that sale as I recall. Much more expensive than that though I'm afraid. You'll find them on the Sotheby's site. There was a sale inside the past year of Faberge pieces, in London I think, because the prices were quoted in GBP. A quick search should turn them up if you're interested.

Ah, the vestas. Those were usually matched to the case as a set.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads