• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hong Kong Tailor Report from A Suitable Wardrobe

mrphrog

Reaction score
luk-cha, which tailor in HK do you recommend for suits?

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by luk-cha
most will try to please and give you what you are looking for other are so set in their ways will not but all expect you not to know anything about tailoring and some hate to be told what you want and how you want you suit to be made!

i would say that the HK tailor that travel less are more than likely to be the better tailors, as they dont need to go oversea's to get the business as they have enough local biz to meet their needs

finding a good tailor in HK sometimes like finding a good resaurant not alway easy but once you have found it you will have a friend for life!

My exact sentiments. The only problem I have though is that most who do not travel overseas to get business are more likely to offer a fused suit (at the lower price point) in order to cater to the local market. For a majority of working class adults in HK, they are unable to tell if a suit is fused or not and will invariably go for less expensive options than to patronize the tailors that are frequently mentioned in this forum .

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mrphrog
luk-cha, which tailor in HK do you recommend for suits?

i will not recomend tailors, as i have tried others recomendations and ended up not as sucessful as my friends!

they are plenty but you need to find the right person who is right for me might not be for you!

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by upnorth
My exact sentiments. The only problem I have though is that most who do not travel overseas to get business are more likely to offer a fused suit (at the lower price point) in order to cater to the local market. For a majority of working class adults in HK, they are unable to tell if a suit is fused or not and will invariably go for less expensive options than to patronize the tailors that are frequently mentioned in this forum .

aman hing choeng does not travel etc are they poor??

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the price and time tell the difference.
Those promise to get the suit for you in 2 days, and CMT under HKD3,000. I will bet they are fused.

One more point, even the suit are not fused, most of the HK Tailors use machine to saw the canvas, you can see the cut up suit display at many central tailor shop.

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Machine padded canvas is the norm, even with Chan, unless you request otherwise. The only place where I have seen hand padded chest pieces as a standard is A-Man Hin Cheong. All of reputable houses attach their collars by machine, but the lapels and collar canvas are handstitched.

If you are in the US, and use or want to use a travelling HK tailor's service, be sure to manage your expectations. All else being equal, suits made without fittings will be markedly different in fit compared to those made in HK with the benefit of multiple fittings. In short, you will not get a real bespoke product from them when they are on the road.

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by luk-cha
aman hing choeng does not travel etc are they poor??

Oh, I think you might have misunderstood my intentions. I'm not saying that those who do not travel out are poor. There are some who get enough work from local orders and feel no need to travel.

I'm just saying that apart from the big names, there are many smaller tailor shops whose clientele base are looking for suits in the cheaper price range and are willing to do so with some compromises to construction and quality as long as it fits well.

I find looking for a tailor is as difficult as looking for a soul mate. I don't think it's specific to Hong Kong, it's rare to find a tailor whose house cut resembles much of what you originally had in mind.

darkoak

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will
Arnold Wong emailed from Chan and said that there'd been a mistake. A two piece suit in Scabal S120 wool and cashmere is HK$10,550 today. That's a bit less than $1,300 USD.
You should amend your blog to include this correction.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kolecho
Good to know that. Chan are honest merchants.

As indeed I already knew from pleasant experience. I knew that $2,300 figure had to be a misunderstanding.

Mr. Pink

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kolecho
Good to know that. Chan are honest merchants.

The next to last time I ordered shirts from Chan, they discovered one of the fabrics was unavailable and the shirt could not be made. My credit card had already been charged. The matter of the charge for the one shirt slipped through the cracks. When I ordered again a few weeks ago, Chan discovered the error, and credited the amount against the new order. I had forgotten about the matter and didn't realize I was owed a credit.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will
Already done.
Somewhat OT but I like the cut of that F&H blazer.

FWIW, I think you look a lot better with a less extended shoulder.

Are you still using Mahon and A&S as well?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics