• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Horizontal Striped Suit

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
in the series mash there was an episode about a local tailor who made a suit with horizontal stripes.

RoryMotion

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nick M
I've seen a photo of a Tommy Nutter suit with closely-spaced horizontal stripes - not bad, but I think I'd prefer a windowpane check instead. Versace did some diagonally-striped suits a while back:
Tommy Nutter made a horizontal pin striped suit for Elton John - with the stripes picked out with bugle beads . . .

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnapril
I've seen corduroy pants with horizontal wale. Cool. Different.

I own a plaid corduroy jacket, a tie with wide horizontal stripes (which I have worn with a bengal-stripe OCBD [vertical stripes]) and I would also wear horizontally striped corduroy. I draw the line at horizontal stripes on a suit and I don't think I'd wear a dress shirt with horizontal stripes either. It's OK for more casual wear, but not with a suit.

The MASH episode was great, as many are.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
in the series mash there was an episode about a local tailor who made a suit with horizontal stripes.

Ha, I was just thinking of that. Trapper is crowing throughout the episode to Hawkeye about the great deal he's getting having a suit made (don't recall if they actually use the word "bespoke", but probably not) by a local Korean tailor out of beautiful pinstriped cloth he picked up somewhere. In the final scene, the suit is delivered -- with the pinstripes running horizontally.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember a few traditional shirt makers had these in the 80's to wear along with an otherwise classic suit. The stripes were horizontal on the body and vertical on the collar. Darker color stripes like navy were a little too strong and looked odd except when paired with a white collar and cuffs. But, lighter colors, like a pink/white stripe, looked rather nice when paired with a great tie.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I remember Elton John was on Leno about a year ago, he had on a Pinstripe suit, except some of the pinstripes started going all over the place around one shoulder only. It resembled strings unraveling, although the rest of the suit had straight pinstripes. I thought it was spectacular. Anyone heard of who makes this?

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Concordia
For horizontal, there was an early M*A*S*H show that had Hawkeye and Trapper going to Tokyo or Seoul for R&R and ordering suits from a cheap tailor-- then finding out the hard way that he liked horizontal chalk stripes.

Originally Posted by globetrotter

Originally Posted by lawyerdad
Ha, I was just thinking of that. Trapper is crowing throughout the episode to Hawkeye about the great deal he's getting having a suit made (don't recall if they actually use the word "bespoke", but probably not) by a local Korean tailor out of beautiful pinstriped cloth he picked up somewhere. In the final scene, the suit is delivered -- with the pinstripes running horizontally.

does nobody read threads anymore?

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So there was this episode of M*A*S*H, where this guy was unnervingly fond of horizontally striped suitings.. come to find out, Joel_Cairo has a ******.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kronik
So there was this episode of M*A*S*H, where this guy was unnervingly fond of horizontally striped suitings.. come to find out, Joel_Cairo has a ******.

seen it. I hate how the series got all preachy toward the end.

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
I remember Elton John was on Leno about a year ago, he had on a Pinstripe suit, except some of the pinstripes started going all over the place around one shoulder only. It resembled strings unraveling, although the rest of the suit had straight pinstripes. I thought it was spectacular. Anyone heard of who makes this?

Eric Glennie.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
does nobody read threads anymore?

Yes, thus my use of the phrase "of that" to refer back to the globe's post, quoted immediately above.
teacha.gif
smile.gif

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Does nobody read post dates anymore?

February 18th, 2005, 01:53 PM

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads