• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

SieurDeLaSalle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Not at all, I was just trying to point out that California is not exactly a small place and that you would expect that there would be all sorts of languages spoken here. What never gets said in these conversations about immigration, and especially immigration in California, is how much richness it adds to our everyday lives. I am not talking about having a cheap workforce kind of richness, but rather the added opportunities that we have every day because of the various ethnic groups who live here. It may sound shallow to speak of when discussing a topic that is very important, but there is something amazing about being able to walk into Chinatown and find produce and products not available most places before sitting down to eat in a restaurant that has actually kept some of its true identity because there is a market large enough to support it. The same goes for an area like the Mission where there are still places that cater to a clientele that is newly here and every one of us has the opportunity eat, buy, explore things that in most places are truly unavailable. Unfortunately, these things we tend to take for granted while we complain about some issues that cause very little harm to anybody and probably benefit the state as a whole. How about having the opportunity to eat Chinese food that isn't necessarily "Round Eye Special #1"?
You are SO RIGHT, iammatt...
crackup[1].gif
Mexican immigration is so underated! Where else could an educated nation learn about human sacrifice, torture picking lettuce and jumping fences instead of paying your way...
tounge.gif

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
Most of the universities that i know of have classes with corresponding numbers. ENC1101, AST 2002 EUH3508, ENL 4312, etc... Usually the number corresponds with reccomended years before taking it or something like that. I'm not sure how it's supposed to work exactly, but that's what i've seen at UF, and a bunch of other universities. I know that grad classes are in the 5-9 level with phd work being higher. I'm not sure how long this has been going on. I thought it was standard, but i could be wrong.

No, that is pretty much standard. But it goes wrong in some places at some point (like where I used to teach) and things stop making sense. In my old dept, the 300 level classes were supposed to be for majors who had intermediate micro/macro. 400 were supposed to be for non-majors (and majors) who hadn't. Completely backwards and when I tried to point that out I wasn't a "team player." Meanwhile, we had ONE class listed at the 300 level. Yeah, that's a tough curriculum. Ugh.

b

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Whodini, nothing like a heaping amount of fresh hot steaming pwnage first thing in the morning!!

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SieurDeLaSalle
crackup[1].gif
Mexican immigration is so underated! Where else could an educated nation learn about human sacrifice, torture picking lettuce and jumping fences instead of paying your way...
tounge.gif

You've just been so chock full of insight in the last few days. I see a "SieurDeLaSalle" post and I think, "Yes! Now I can be assured I'm about to read some thoughtful, articulate analysis of a complex phenomenon, and not just some recycled drivel about...." Oh but wait, no, that was lawyerdad and Manton I was thinking of. Sorry. (Things that are pissing me off: trite racists without even the saving grace of being funny.)

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
No, that is pretty much standard. But it goes wrong in some places at some point (like where I used to teach) and things stop making sense. In my old dept, the 300 level classes were supposed to be for majors who had intermediate micro/macro. 400 were supposed to be for non-majors (and majors) who hadn't. Completely backwards and when I tried to point that out I wasn't a "team player." Meanwhile, we had ONE class listed at the 300 level. Yeah, that's a tough curriculum. Ugh. b
I kinda figured lawyerdad might have been joking in relation to the ongoing conversation, but decided to stay on the helpful side of things. That is really weird. For the most part at UF though, non-majors don't take 4000 level classes, but 3000 level classes are often filled with people taking it for their minors or just taking it because they need an elective. It's frustrating when you see people just dicking around in a class you take pretty seriously or mocking the history and field of study you devote so much time to. Sauce- PHILLLSSSSS? Even if you're not a baseball fan, you had to have gotten swept up in the mayhem. Is the city going crazy or do they still have a sense of impending doom?

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
Sauce- PHILLLSSSSS? Even if you're not a baseball fan, you had to have gotten swept up in the mayhem. Is the city going crazy or do they still have a sense of impending doom?

NO JOKE. I have not seen the city this crazy since the Eagles were in the Superbowl. And you should have been here after the Eagles lost. A palpable sense of defeat settled over the entire city. The only thing like it that I've experienced here was actually after Bush won re-election. Almost the same feeling in the city, except it was a little worse when the Eagles lost. Because, let's face it, Donovan McNabb is much easier to like than John Kerry.

So I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. Actually I think everyone is, but the city is electric right now. I really wish I was a big baseball fan, actually. Hell, I'm getting excited, and my favorite part of baseball is the hot dogs. What's even more fun is watching the Mets fans dragging their feet around the city, all twisted in pain.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
Whodini, nothing like a heaping amount of fresh hot steaming pwnage first thing in the morning!!
You, sir, are welcome.
smile.gif
I'm thinking of actually getting one made just to wear it in December and then put it up on B/S for $40.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
lol, I've noticed it's more Mercedes Benz than BMW these days.....and outlet malls that have an Armani "boutique" since that's the epitome of style, class and wealth

Armani Exchange and some sort of entry or mid-level Mercedes SLK type car. The girls usually have a Coach or Gucci logo canvas bag and tons of ill-advised makeup.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Going to movies where I have to overhear other "ethnic" groups discuss the preview for We Own The Night about how "thas bullshit white guys is never gangstas" or cheering and shouting "YOU GO DENZEL" when the preview for American Gangter comes on.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
crackup[1].gif
tounge.gif

Is "torture picking lettuce" one of those examples of literal translation yielding gibberish? Chron, thanks for the explanation -- I really had no idea what a 4000 level class was.

metkirk

Reaction score
...people that feel the need to talk about philosophy, religion, politics... at parties. I went to 3 different parties and they all talked about those boring intellectual ****. The worst part was some hot chicks would be passing by and gave us weird looks.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That was your smartest post yet. Keep 'em coming...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads