• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
sarcasm.gif

Yes, because you can't read or write English to make authentic style Chinese food, right? I bet those white folk cain't cook ****inamese and cain't cook dem der Mexicaina neither.

You are missing the point.

The more people you experience with completely different life experiences and skill-sets, the more things you try and eat, the more foreign signs you find yourself able to decipher the bigger and richer your life will be. The more you complain about things that can give you more in life, the smaller you become.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
I wouldnt mind if it were limited to "walking into Chinatown" to experience all this wonderful "ethnic diversity" but I'm just not a fan of entire neighborhoods aroune me being "chinatown". I just don't like their "authentic" food, don't like the grocery stores....the list goes on. I have to drive 20 minutes just to be able to get a tasty Round Eye Special #1, which I'd rather have any day of the week than something "authentically Chinese".

On a related note of being pissed....

I hate it when someone dials my extension at work, I answer in English of course, and the person starts rambling in Chinese, I fume but politely respond that I don't speak Chinese, then the person that was speaking Chinese starts speaking in very good English. WTF is that ****. Probably happens 1x/month. One time some guy came in to discuss a design job and asks me if I speak Chinese. I say I don't and he keeps pushing the issue asking "am I sure I don't speak Chinese" in his perfect English and when I tell him I don't speak any kind of Chinese he says "ok, I guess we can talk in English".

After writing that last bit I can feel my blood boiling

That happens all the time to a Korean guy I work with:

"Do you speak Chinese"?
"Actually, I'm Korean but grew up in Maryland and don't even speak Korean."
"Fine, but do you speak Chinese"?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldnt mind if it were limited to "walking into Chinatown" to experience all this wonderful "ethnic diversity" but I'm just not a fan of entire neighborhoods aroune me being "chinatown". I just don't like their "authentic" food, don't like the grocery stores....the list goes on. I have to drive 20 minutes just to be able to get a tasty Round Eye Special #1, which I'd rather have any day of the week than something "authentically Chinese".
Why do you live in this neighborhood since you hate it so much? Do you expect your whole neighborhood to change and adapt to your preferences?

After writing that last bit I can feel my blood boiling
Sorry if I sound like an asshole here, but I really think you have some serious identity issues.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Sorry if I sound like an asshole here, but I really think you have some serious identity issues.

Wow, quite possibly the stupidest thing said in a long ass time here.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, quite possibly the stupidest thing said in a long ass time here.

Not so long. Probably just since your last post?

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Why do you live in this neighborhood since you hate it so much? Do you expect your whole neighborhood to change and adapt to your preferences?

I've lived in this neighborhood before it changed to this magnitude. I didnt move in and say "hmmm now lookie here, all the ******** need to change their signs into engrish so I can be comfortable".

How is it an identity issue if someone asks me in English if I speak Chinese, I say no, and he keeps insisting that I must speak chinese?? One of my biggest pet peeves is when (and oftentimes it's caucasians who do this) it's somehow assumed all asians are culturally the same. It's even worse when another asian does it and just assumes that anyone with slanteyes must be "one of them".

On the plus side, in regards to my specific neighborhood....it seems more Americanized minorities and whites are moving in and the "authentic" minorities might be on a decline or moving to different areas, at least in my immediate neck o the woods, since the housing here is relatively affordable for a pretty nice area and walking distance to some really nice areas.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
That happens all the time to a Korean guy I work with:

"Do you speak Chinese"?
"Actually, I'm Korean but grew up in Maryland and don't even speak Korean."
"Fine, but do you speak Chinese"?

It's funny, no white person can believe when my wife tells them that she is Mexican, but 90% of the time when we meet a Mexican person they start out speaking to her in Spanish. She doesn't speak a word of Spanish, so it doesn't last long.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How is it an identity issue if someone asks me in English if I speak Chinese, I say no, and he keeps insisting that I must speak chinese??
The fact you "can feel [your] blood boiling", that it affects you so much that someone assumes you speak Chinese, is what I find disturbing. This cumulated with your obvious issues with new generations of Asian immigrants lead me to think (can't really help it) that you may have identity issues with your ethnicity.

Now to recap the neighborhood issue, since you've been here before the neighborhood changed so much, you do expect that the neighborhood will change by itself and adapt to what you think it should be?

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
The fact you "can feel [your] blood boiling", that it affects you so much that someone assumes you speak Chinese, is what I find disturbing. This cumulated with your obvious issues with new generations of Asian immigrants lead me to think (can't really help it) that you may have identity issues with your ethnicity.

Now to recap the neighborhood issue, since you've been here before the neighborhood changed so much, you do expect that the neighborhood will change by itself and adapt to what you think it should be?

Why do you find that disturbing? It can be a white guy assuming I am chinese and wondering if I speak English, and my blood would be boiling. Again, the point is, what kind of asshole who can speak perfect english, walks into a business that is clearly not chinese owned, and asks repeatedly if I speak Chinese. It was the most surreal encounter I've ever had with someone because this fellow kept insisting that I know how to speak Chinese and somehow I wasn't willing to do so with him.

Re my neighborhood....it looked like it was going *downhill* (from my PoV) but with the increasing property prices around SoCal, my area was priced very good for what it has to offer so it seems a lot of middle class people who were looking to buy a house in the LA area started to move in and suddenly over the last 5 years it's slowly but surely changed its makeup towards a *cough* multicultural neighborhood but AMERICANIZED. A few years ago the majority of my neighbors didn't seem to speak much English and werent very friendly in general (asians typically arent that friendly to strangers) and now I say hello and chat with them on a regular basis when I'm washing the car or whatever. I'm hoping it's a trend that continues down this road.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Since I'm coaching this year, lame soccer parents. (There are also good ones.)
And more generally, lame self-indulgent parents who are so afraid of jeopardizing their reputation as one of the "fun" parents that they are unwilling to provide kids with any meaningful discipline or guidance.

And, of course, the f'ing Dodgers.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
It is really a moot point and the tip of the iceberg for a much larger problem at hand. How about getting checks at Chinese restaurants where the itemized list is written in Chinese? Ah yes, I remember ordering that!
How many times has a waiter taken your order and written it all out in long hand? When I look at my tabs not typed by a computer, I almost always see a combination of letters and numbers that are codes for the cook. I can get the "gist" of what I ordered based on simple reasoning and deduction based on the prices tabbed out as can most people with an eighth grade education.
I'd like to remind you that you are Matt's turdburglar (just trying to salt your friendship with him because I'm getting jealous)
devil.gif

You know I only have round eyes for you.
inlove.gif
and re:not having a camera for photographic moments, I think "photographic moments" are overrated
Yeah, you're probably right. Or maybe I could just copy exactly what you said and use it as a caption under this photo:
picture2cu5.jpg
which we could then make into t-shirts, coffee mugs, panties, etc. How many should I put you down for?
I'm sorry to hear that. A big part that I, as well as my father, miss about living in Alhambra/South Pas is the large variety of food within relative walking distance. Vietnamese, Thai, Chinese, Japanese, Malaysian, Korean, Lebanese, Cuban, Austrian (for a time), etc. cuisine could be had in just a stretch of town. AND it wasn't crap. It would be great if we could all just spread out our cultures so that it would be dispersed a bit more evenly but hey, that's humanity. Every single country has communities of one culture or another because there's safety in numbers and familiarity. Deal with it. I remember the joke around SBV in the late 80s/early 90s was "Would the last person moving out of Alhambra please take down the American flag."
Originally Posted by iammatt
It's funny, no white person can believe when my wife tells them that she is Mexican, but 90% of the time when we meet a Mexican person they start out speaking to her in Spanish. She doesn't speak a word of Spanish, so it doesn't last long.
No Costa Rican believes I can speak spanish. If they ask me a question in broken english and I reply in accented spanish, I only get more broken english.
confused.gif
I understand the attempt but it gets a little old when I'm Costa Rican myself.
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
And, of course, the f'ing Dodgers.
I've learned to stop checking standing from July forward so that come September I'm either incredibly surprised or routinely unimpressed. Gonzalez is gone so that means there must be another vet looking to add a few $$$ to his account before he retires pissed and ring-less.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
Yeah, you're probably right. Or maybe I could just copy exactly what you said and use it as a caption under this photo:
picture2cu5.jpg
which we could then make into t-shirts, coffee mugs, panties, etc. How many should I put you down for?

I'm sorry to hear that. A big part that I, as well as my father, miss about living in Alhambra/South Pas is the large variety of food within relative walking distance. Vietnamese, Thai, Chinese, Japanese, Malaysian, Korean, Lebanese, Cuban, Austrian (for a time), etc. cuisine could be had in just a stretch of town. AND it wasn't crap.

touche *****.
plain.gif
plain.gif
plain.gif

I love having ethnic variety, BUT nowadays it's mostly sketchy chinese places with C ratings and an overall unwelcoming atmosphere (which probably explains why they go out of business in 6 months only to be replaced by another sketch eatery), at least to someone like me, and I LOVE eating out.

Funny, I can probably name the exact places you're referring to, which I do admit is one great thing about SGV. Tonite I picked up shwarma sandwiches from Wahibs. btw, the Austrian place you're referring to is no longer, but you probably know that.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
touche *****.
plain.gif
plain.gif
plain.gif
I love having ethnic variety, BUT nowadays it's mostly sketchy chinese places with C ratings and an overall unwelcoming atmosphere (which probably explains why they go out of business in 6 months only to be replaced by another sketch eatery), at least to someone like me, and I LOVE eating out. Funny, I can probably name the exact places you're referring to, which I do admit is one great thing about SGV. Tonite I picked up shwarma sandwiches from Wahibs. btw, the Austrian place you're referring to is no longer, but you probably know that.

I haven't said this on the internet since the mid-90s but, "MESS WIT DA BEST, DIE LIKE DA REST!" Hey, I'm all for 86'ing deadbeat sketch seafood places in MP, along with 90% of LA, just leave me a few places here and there. Best Chinese-style chicken I ever had was in a hole in the wall place that survived on a B (or so) rating the entire two years it was open. I think I told you it was across the street from Gino's Primo on Las Tunas. THAT was worth the risk of the hauntavirus although I never got sick. Yeah, it scares me that I only need to mention the nationality and you already know the place. I'd be surprised if you could name the Austrian place as it wasn't advertised as such. The owner just happened to be from Vienna and found out my dad spoke german. Talk about killer breakfasts. But yeah, it's been closed for ages. Edit: Well, I took the liberty of designing the reception momentos. I put an order down for 150. Don't sweat it, I gave them your name and billing info. Totally taken cared for. Thank me later. Here it is!
picture3qi4.jpg

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Other ethnic groups can mingle in the U.S., so why can't whites?

"Gotta get the door! That's the **** with my ***** food."

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Most of the universities that i know of have classes with corresponding numbers. ENC1101, AST 2002 EUH3508, ENL 4312, etc... Usually the number corresponds with reccomended years before taking it or something like that. I'm not sure how it's supposed to work exactly, but that's what i've seen at UF, and a bunch of other universities. I know that grad classes are in the 5-9 level with phd work being higher. I'm not sure how long this has been going on. I thought it was standard, but i could be wrong.

I've been into very warm and welcoming ethnic restaurants, and i've been to some that were less that kind or helpful and had a general "get your food and get out" attitude, while being very social with clientèle of the same race. Sometimes the food is good, sometimes it's mediocre. You win some you lose some. I still think you're pulling more out of what i said or at least going out of your way to try and "put me in my place" as my comments are less of a xenophobic, world revolves around me angle than what you're putting me on. It's funny how i supposedly have never been to a foreign area or have done my best to talk with countless people who don't speak english. Mainly chinese, vietnamese and lots and lots of spanish speakers. Thanks for the condescending clothing comparison and incorrect personal assumptions though. My eyes have been opened.

Things pissing me off recently. Having a friend from long island who is a big Mets fan who won't stop bitching. The last 2 weeks have been terrible to be around him. At least the phills will put him out of his misery soon. But then i'm going to have to hear about how bad the giants are.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads