• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Nah, Fran was talking up the always wrong Econ student about the environment and global warming. Possibly about hairstyles as well
devil.gif

Ironically the kid I was thinking of in particular was in my Intro Enviro Econ class.

b

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
My spanish prof told us that california provides social services in 27 indian languages to help-out the large mexican population. Is that true? (i get the feeling sometimes my prof is a bit of an idiot so I don't know if I can believe everything he says)
possibly. It also has a larger economy than Canada, so it wouldn't be terribly surprising.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My spanish prof told us that california provides social services in 27 indian languages to help-out the large mexican population. Is that true? (i get the feeling sometimes my prof is a bit of an idiot so I don't know if I can believe everything he says)

Not sure why Indian languages would help Mexicans, unless maybe you are referring to AmerIndians.

The biggest languages that social services support are: English, Spanish, Vietnamese, Chinese (I assume Mandarin and Cantonese). These are all I've ever seen on forms. You also see WASH YOUR HANDS translated into these 4 in bathrooms.

I'll refrain from commenting further.....

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
Geez. Sensitive out to prove themselves intellectuals take **** too seriously. I wasn't talking about forcing everybody to change or that other ethnic groups in US cities must provide english everything and welcome me with a red carpet. I'm not looking for people to conform to me nor am i saying "woe is me." It would be nice if it certain ethnic neighborhoods that GS was originally talking about would be more welcoming to people other than their own, but i would never infringe on their rights or force my way upon them nor do i think it's a major problem for america . I still go in these places when i'm in Orlando (large viettown), boston or new york every once in awhile, usually from friend recommendations who know the good places, but it's not that big a deal if i'm uncomfortable or even if i don't go. It's their business and they can run it how they want and i could really care less.

I don't think GS was necessarily calling for a full on americanization of every ethnic neighborhood. I think he was implying that some of the neighborhoods were less than inviting to people outside their ethnic group, which he saw as a problem. I do like how people took the conversation to a full argument to show how smart they are and how stupid others are though.

You forgot to make the pre-emptive "anyone who disagrees with me is just being PC" strike.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
. We need more hard ass teachers in my pants.

I just hope grad school will be better with this stuff in my pants, but i'm not that optimistic.

What's a "4000 level" English class? Is that terminology particular to your school, or is that a standard reference that is understood by everyone except middle-aged guys like me who went to college last century?

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Witnessing really beautiful photographic moments and not having my camera with me.
musicboohoo[1].gif

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
I am so glad that somebody else has taken on the responsibility for arguing with the lunacy that is Tie Collector.

My wife is first or second generation American from Mexico (nobody is really sure which side her father was born on) on one side and the other side of her family moved west in covered wagons. I think that is what is good with America, the idea that we gain culture from those who choose to move here, and they gain from our culture and economy. The more the merrier IMO.

As far as the signs in other languages, the signs are there to attract the customers to the business. If they weren't helpind do that, they would change them to English. I can't think how it hurts anybody what language signs are in, as long as the business is following the law and paying taxes, the more business in the US the better.

I'm beginning to think that maybe you and I can be friends after all.

Originally Posted by imageWIS

Jon.

While you're still an idiot.

Geez. Sensitive out to prove themselves intellectuals take **** too seriously.
Let's recap.
It is dissapointing in the ethnic ghettos where they put everything in their own language, basically trying to keep non-local immigrants out because a lot of times i'd like to eat at some of those places.
You came off, at least to me, as though you were complaining that certain "ethnic" businesses were going out of their way to keep you out by pandering to a specific clientele. And all because you can't read the name of the restaurant?
musicboohoo[1].gif

How you assume the employees wouldn't speak english and/or try to help you learn something about a different culture is beyond me.

People tend to take culture extremely personally, with good reason, but a business is a business. Would you walk into plumbing supply store and complain that they're too standoffish with non-plumbers?

Let's put this in terms of clothing for you. Imagine one day five years ago you were walking down the street and came across a store called "Self Edge." Hanging in the window were pairs of jeans with brands you had never heard of before. You saw an article taped to the door that used terms like "selvage," "shuttle looms," "roping," and "14oz." Would that really have you running back to your friends at Macy's to tell them just how scary something different was? Hell, wasn't this America, land of Levi's and Wranglers? To think that a clothing store IN THE US would cater to a particular niche of customers, use their own vocabulary, and flaunt unfamiliar brands... the nerve.

Your fear, lack of comfort, concern, or whatever the hell you'll want to call it in your retort does nothing if make you sound naive and childish.

I think you'd be surprised how many foreigners would love to see someone take an interest in their country just as much as you'd want them to show some for yours.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
possibly. It also has a larger economy than Canada, so it wouldn't be terribly surprising.

laugh.gif
If you're trying to take a swipe at my nationalistic pride, you're doing it with the wrong guy. I have none.
teacha.gif

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini

You came off, at least to me, as though you were complaining that certain "ethnic" businesses were going out of their way to keep you out by pandering to a specific clientele. And all because you can't read the name of the restaurant?
musicboohoo[1].gif

How you assume the employees wouldn't speak english and/or try to help you learn something about a different culture is beyond me.

People tend to take culture extremely personally, with good reason, but a business is a business. Would you walk into plumbing supply store and complain that they're too standoffish with non-plumbers?

Let's put this in terms of clothing for you. Imagine one day five years ago you were walking down the street and came across a store called "Self Edge." Hanging in the window were pairs of jeans with brands you had never heard of before. You saw an article taped to the door that used terms like "selvage," "shuttle looms," "roping," and "14oz." Would that really have you running back to your friends at Macy's to tell them just how scary something different was? Hell, wasn't this America, land of Levi's and Wranglers? To think that a clothing store IN THE US would cater to a particular niche of customers, use their own vocabulary, and flaunt unfamiliar brands... the nerve.

Your fear, lack of comfort, concern, or whatever the hell you'll want to call it in your retort does nothing if make you sound naive and childish.

I think you'd be surprised how many foreigners would love to see someone take an interest in their country just as much as you'd want them to show some for yours.

It is really a moot point and the tip of the iceberg for a much larger problem at hand.

How about getting checks at Chinese restaurants where the itemized list is written in Chinese? Ah yes, I remember ordering that!

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
I'm beginning to think that maybe you and I can be friends after all.

I'd like to remind you that you are Matt's turdburglar (just trying to salt your friendship with him because I'm getting jealous)
devil.gif

and re:not having a camera for photographic moments, I think "photographic moments" are overrated

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
laugh.gif
If you're trying to take a swipe at my nationalistic pride, you're doing it with the wrong guy. I have none.
teacha.gif

Not at all, I was just trying to point out that California is not exactly a small place and that you would expect that there would be all sorts of languages spoken here. What never gets said in these conversations about immigration, and especially immigration in California, is how much richness it adds to our everyday lives. I am not talking about having a cheap workforce kind of richness, but rather the added opportunities that we have every day because of the various ethnic groups who live here. It may sound shallow to speak of when discussing a topic that is very important, but there is something amazing about being able to walk into Chinatown and find produce and products not available most places before sitting down to eat in a restaurant that has actually kept some of its true identity because there is a market large enough to support it. The same goes for an area like the Mission where there are still places that cater to a clientele that is newly here and every one of us has the opportunity eat, buy, explore things that in most places are truly unavailable. Unfortunately, these things we tend to take for granted while we complain about some issues that cause very little harm to anybody and probably benefit the state as a whole.
Originally Posted by Tiecollector
How about getting checks at Chinese restaurants where the itemized list is written in Chinese? Ah yes, I remember ordering that!
How about having the opportunity to eat Chinese food that isn't necessarily "Round Eye Special #1"?

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
I'd like to remind you that you are Matt's turdburglar (just trying to salt your friendship with him because I'm getting jealous)
devil.gif

and re:not having a camera for photographic moments, I think "photographic moments" are overrated

I don't mean traditionally 'photographic' moments. I mean moments that are a little askew, that just seem to work, like unexpected balance in disharmony.
plain.gif

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What never gets said in these conversations about immigration, and especially immigration in California, is how much richness it adds to our everyday lives. I am not talking about having a cheap workforce kind of richness, but rather the added opportunities that we have every day because of the various ethnic groups who live here. It may sound shallow to speak of when discussing a topic that is very important, but there is something amazing about being able to walk into Chinatown and find produce and products not available most places before sitting down to eat in a restaurant that has actually kept some of its true identity because there is a market large enough to support it. The same goes for an area like the Mission where there are still places that cater to a clientele that is newly here and every one of us has the opportunity eat, buy, explore things that in most places are truly unavailable.

Unfortunately, these things we tend to take for granted while we complain about some issues that cause very little harm to anybody and probably benefit the state as a whole.

How about having the opportunity to eat Chinese food that isn't necessarily "Round Eye Special #1"?

sarcasm.gif

Yes, because you can't read or write English to make authentic style Chinese food, right? I bet those white folk cain't cook ****inamese and cain't cook dem der Mexicaina neither.

Brings me to another point. I have met "Chinese" people (who have never even been to China) who insist that Chinese food can only be cooked properly by someone who looks Chinese. Sounds very diverse and open minded with added richness.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
there is something amazing about being able to walk into Chinatown and find produce and products not available most places before sitting down to eat in a restaurant that has actually kept some of its true identity because there is a market large enough to support it.

I wouldnt mind if it were limited to "walking into Chinatown" to experience all this wonderful "ethnic diversity" but I'm just not a fan of entire neighborhoods aroune me being "chinatown". I just don't like their "authentic" food, don't like the grocery stores....the list goes on. I have to drive 20 minutes just to be able to get a tasty Round Eye Special #1, which I'd rather have any day of the week than something "authentically Chinese".

On a related note of being pissed....

I hate it when someone dials my extension at work, I answer in English of course, and the person starts rambling in Chinese, I fume but politely respond that I don't speak Chinese, then the person that was speaking Chinese starts speaking in very good English. WTF is that ****. Probably happens 1x/month. One time some guy came in to discuss a design job and asks me if I speak Chinese. I say I don't and he keeps pushing the issue asking "am I sure I don't speak Chinese" in his perfect English and when I tell him I don't speak any kind of Chinese he says "ok, I guess we can talk in English".

After writing that last bit I can feel my blood boiling

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads