• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
Malle vetiver Extraordinaire for me today.

Mind you, I'm not one to cast stones or anything, but I have this sample of Vetiver Extraordinaire, and I've named it Eleanor Rigby.

It's lonely. I sprayed it once, and waited for it to develop into my sort of personality. And I waited. And waited. Day turned into night, and I eventually gave up.

I tried it again months later and waited some more. Still none of the toe-curling snap and pungency I was hoping for. I suppose it was too much to ask for a grass-flavored scent. The good news is that if I find Vetiver in the name, I can pretty well write it off as mannered and cultured, and therefore, Not For Me.

Speaking of, Today is Caron Yatagan day.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today I"m wearing Fumerie Turque by Serge Lutens!

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Bay Rum with a Twist today. It's a lightly-spiced Bay Rum with a bit of lime. Think Jimmy Buffett in a pirate costume saying "arrrrrr". Great for the continued summer. Actually, I'm on a summer scent binge at the moment, since I won't get to wear a lot of these scents during the winter. Well I could wear them in the winter, just like we wear flip-flops and shorts to grill the Thanksgiving turkey, but that's a time for heavier, deeper, more reflective scents.

LanAltec

Reaction score
I'm wearing my old CK1...

It's the only one I really where and I have to admit I'm getting tired of it. I think my girlfriend really likes it, but I'm thinking about making a change, maybe to Chrome by Azzaro. I have a friend that suggest it and I was thinking about stopping by Lord & Taylor on my way home and testing it out.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Creed Orange Spice today.

Similar to Kouros, but without the sharp sour note, and obviously more orange added. An excellent "stinky" citrus (still not as good as Malle Bigarade Concentree, I think, but quite good).

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
We moved to a new house this weekend, in another part of town. Spent nearly the whole weekend sweaty and smelly. So my scent of the weekend was Lavender, as in Tom's of Maine Lavender deodorant.

Moving is an interesting ordeal. You are required to take note of and pack each and every one of your possessions, or at least review them and decide whether you will opt to keep or discard. After filling a modest-sized box with shaving soaps and creams, and another box with colognes, I think I might have plenty.

So today is Chanel Antaeus. I wish it were cooler outside, but with three bottles of the stuff, I'd better get cracking.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Creed Aubepine Acacia... a wonderful citrus scent with something oddly metallic hidden inside. Not what you'd expect from Creed, but a literal breath of fresh air from the usual citrus scents.

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Annick Goutal Eau du Fier.

Smoky with a capital S. Birch tar and some dried apricots but mostly pine needles smoke reminiscent of Lapsang Souchong tea.
I don't think I could wear this everyday but it provides a nice ocasional "kick in the nostrils".

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I tried this Lutens and it became very sweet and sickly.

Speaking of which, I've yet to develop a fondness for Chergui, since it too is a sugarbomb on me. I have heard some vile things about Musc Kublai Khan, but am not sure whether I should take the plunge. Something tells me it's not exactly work-safe, which might be a problem.

Today, however, is Chanel Antaeus once again, as we've just moved and I'm not yet up to digging through boxes to find the rest of the herd.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
LK and Thomas, I'm with you on Lutens and have had that reaction to most of the line (or the dozen or more than I've tried). Santal Blanc and Rakat Loukhoum were the worst, Arabie the most syrupy sweet, Chergui and Fumerie Turque somewhere in the middle, Miel de Bois the most tolerable (but the drydown has an awful sourness that develops).

Anyway, warm and sunny again and so Malle Cologne Bigarade is it for me today. I received a bottle of Annick Goutal Nuits d'Hadrien yesterday and look forward to wearing it tomorrow (it's citrus, but with vanilla and sandalwood added for a little warmth and sweetness).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads