• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thom Browne + Brooks Brothers = Black Fleece (pics are up)

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
finally got to check BF out yesterday. The SCP Brooks only had about half the collection in (full collection coming by mid oct). The jackets and trousers were nice, as you'd expect. I was surprised how large they were cut. I tried on a BB1 jacket and it was fairly roomy, enough to where a BB0 would probably be the best fit.

The shirt selection was very nice, I really like the OCBDs but had the same problem with the fit. Tried BB1 shirt and it was a size too large for me, even tho their sizing chart indicates it should have been perfect (BB1 = 38 chest, 15 neck, 33 sleeve) It was definitely a 15.5" neck, for a 40" chest, the torso was wide, and their tailor measured the sleeves while I was wearing and it came to 35". There were no BB0s so they are going to bring a couple in so I can try on. Overall, nice gear but the fit was closer to normal Brooks than Thom Browne.

sartort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get Smart,

Thanks for posting this. I was thinking about ordering 1 or 2 of these oxfords in size BB1 based on the site's size guide. I know you and I wear the same size jacket so if a BB1 doesn't fit you, it's not going to work for me either. I don't want skin tight, but I want a nice, slim shirt. Let me know if BB0 works for you.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Satort, the F&F 25% sale starts today so you may want to take advantage of the codes and get a BB0 shirt online (you could always return if it doesnt fit right). But if you're the same size as me then the BB1 will seem too large for you

There's a thread that has codes but you can use the one I have if you want, FRIEND31

sartort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks Jason. I might have to take advantage of the F+F. By the way, I promise I'm going to get pics up soon of the navy sportcoat! back to topic.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Black twill with embroidered black sheep trousers
vs.
Grey wool with embroidered grey sheep trousers

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To wear with what?

I think the gray is more versatile.

nmoraitis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
I just picked a BB0 up, it came out to $124 after tax/shipping

I have a 15" neck and a 39.5" chest, would BB0 work or would I have to go with a BB1? I prefer my shirts slim.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nmoraitis
I have a 15" neck and a 39.5" chest, would BB0 work or would I have to go with a BB1? I prefer my shirts slim.

the BB1, I think a BB0 might be a tad tight with your chest size (but I havent actually tried one on). Depending on how slim you like the torso, you *might* take the body in an inch on the BB1.

nmoraitis

Reaction score
Thanks, I'll go with the BB1. They don't have the BB0 in blue on the site, so my decision has been made easier.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mack11211
To wear with what?

I think the gray is more versatile.

True...and the tonal black on black might look like I have wierd little fuzzballs on the pants.

I'm going to wait until I get the khaki cotton twills back and wear them to see how I like them.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
My brushed twill cotton pants I got back from alterations today (see WAYWT thread tomorrow for fit)
Also, bought this cashmere sweater from Black Fleece.
blackfleece014.jpg

blackfleece015.jpg

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey Socal, since you are in NYC I assume you went to the main store? Did they alter/cuff your pants at that store?

Reason I'm asking is because I stopped by the local BB today and checked out the Black Fleece line. Having seen it and felt it and try it on in person, I must admit that it's quite nice. Expensive, but quite nice. Suit jacket construction wise was probably along entry-level, fully canvassed offerings from the likes of Canali and Corneliani.

I really don't like the little hang-tag/gym-locker loop that sticks conspicuously from the back of the collar. The suit jackets all had functional sleeve pre-cut, and interestingly only had two buttons per sleeve (certainly very 1950's). I really like the button-fly on the pants, and it is actually a decent rise at 11", had curtained waist-bands. The pants offering are definitely better constructed than Canali/Corneliani.

Anyway, the salesperson told me that all alteration done on any Black Fleece garments must be done in New York, supposedly some specific threads and such demanded by Thom himself. I'm not sure if this is pure bullshit to add to the mystique of the BF line. And I was told that the man himself may make an appearance at that very same BB store in December.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Today I went out and looked at the new BF collection. The suits were rather nice actually.

Despite what SoCal2NYC said about "twinks" and Thom Browne, I thought my 5'7" slim frame looked nice in the flannel suits. I liked the classic two button details.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads