• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Charles Edwards Shirtmaker (Melbourne)

snailtrail83

Reaction score
I'm looking to get a couple of shirts taylor made, and was wondering if anyone has had experience with Charles Edwards. What is the expected cost (i think I read pricing is from mid $200s but not sure) and how does his shirts compare to others?

Also, is there anyone else in Melbourne that I should consider?

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Don't know about Charles Edwards but Hemden are very well known for their bespoke shirt service. They can be found here: http://www.hemden.com.au/

Its $375 for your first business shirt and then $325 for everyone after that.

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's a fellow called Charles De Mille in a laneway near American Tailors (same lane as Flower Drum maybe? Has that old school Italian place that serves awful lasagne on the corner).

I wanted to visit when last I was in town, alas he too was on holidays...

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The False Prophet
Has that old school Italian place that serves awful lasagne on the corner).

hey hey hey ...thats Pellegrini's your talking about there ... a Melbourne institution!

snailtrail83

Reaction score
I've read that Charles Nakhle (sydney) is quite good and has come down to melbourne. Has he got any plans to do this again?

Alexander Scriabin

Reaction score
A Melbourne institution indeed! The only people dumb enough to actually eat there are tourists and people wanting a burnt coffee after having their tacky wedding photos taken outsideof parliament house!

As to Charles' shirts. They're not great. Not 'BAD' as such but mediocre at best. You'd be better off having American Tailors order you some MTM shirts from Aster. About $245 or $295 or something like that.

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I went there for a meal because I was told it was iconic. It was nearly inedible. Shame, as it was a cool little spot.

I'm in Melbourne soon, so looks like it'll be Nakhle after all!!

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
all snipes at Pellegrinis aside ... who is this Charles De Mille? a search on google and yellowpages turns up nothing...

does anybody have a website, address or phone number?

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've noticed references to Charles Edwards in a couple of other places in Crossley St, which is the location I'm thinking of. I'm sure the window said "De Mille", however. There was another fellow a few spaces up, a nice old Italian bespoke tailor called Charles Maimone, and he said the man I sought after was on holidays. Maimone looked to make a good suit, for about $3000, and was an affable gent.

As for Pelligrini's, maybe I went on a bad day. Just calling it like I see it...

Balthazar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alexander Scriabin
As to Charles' shirts. They're not great. Not 'BAD' as such but mediocre at best. You'd be better off having American Tailors order you some MTM shirts from Aster. About $245 or $295 or something like that.

Which Charles are you referring to? Oddly, I believe there are three referred to in this thread prior to your post. I'm hoping you're not referring to Nahkle as he's received high praise from Sator so I was hoping to pay him a visit some time.

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Balthazar
Which Charles are you referring to? Oddly, I believe there are three referred to in this thread prior to your post. I'm hoping you're not referring to Nahkle as he's received high praise from Sator so I was hoping to pay him a visit some time.

I assume he means the Melburnian Edwards, as he then recommends the Melburnian American Tailors...

And also it's a thread about Edwards!

And finally, Nahkle's prices are less than those quoted for the Aster MTM...

Aus_MD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alexander Scriabin

I have, at various stages, purchased shirts from Charles Nakhle, Charles Edward and Hemden. I have no hesitation recommending the first two, but my most recent experience with Charles Edward was 12 years ago. I am not sure on what basis you describe Edward's shirts as mediocre as in my experience they were a very good fit, were well made, and the selection of fabrics was comparable to that available from the other Melbourne shirtmakers.

Both Nakhle and Edward are very friendly, helpful guys and I think the OP would be happy with a shirt made by either. Henry Bucks in Collins St is another option worth considering. I have a colleague who has his shirts made there and he speaks highly of them, but I have no personal experience.

It is inconceivable that a MTM shirt is going to produce better results.

snailtrail83

Reaction score
Originally Posted by The False Prophet
Yeah, I went there for a meal because I was told it was iconic. It was nearly inedible. Shame, as it was a cool little spot.

I'm in Melbourne soon, so looks like it'll be Nakhle after all!!

I thought Charles Nakhle was in Sydney. I am seriously considering going up to Sydney in early November to get my shirts made as he seems to have the best reputation.

Does anyone know what prices Charles Edwards charges?

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sydney is what I meant!

My understanding is that Edwards is about $250-300, but that could be yet another piece of confusion on my part...(ie, remembering the wrong man)

snailtrail83

Reaction score
How is Hejda in comparison to Edwards? I'm prob going to choose between Hejda and Edwards as I feel Hemden is a bit overpriced ($375 for initial shirt...) and I haven't heard of Aster mentioned before on the forums.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics