• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alden Cordovan Longwings

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I wouldn't put those poncey fairy shoes on my feet if they were given to me
crackup[1].gif
Did Olga spurn your advances?
devil.gif

nmoraitis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
My feeling about these is that sometimes the classic version is really the best one. The same goes for Weston Hunt Derbys and other semi-iconic shoes. The others mentioned may be "nicer" shoes, but they are a different thing.

I agree, how can you top a classic? Just get them, since those are the ones that catch your eye. Worst comes to worst, you can always sell them if you find you don't like them.

LSeca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
They are a typical style for the area, where I live and they reflect the heritage of their history. Named after Slatin Pasha.

We have a different taste in shoes.

Fair enough. However, Aldens are a typical style here with a history going back to the 1800s as well. This particular style in shell is very classic and diverse, you can wear them with everything from dress pants to jeans.

I agree with you, we have different taste in shoes.

well-kept

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
I just don't like the longwings. They have never done it for me.

Never done it for me either, yet I lucked into an unworn pair of vintage Florsheim shells in an amazing color and finish. Much better constructed and sewn than the current Alden. And while I admire them off the foot I don't much like the way they look on the foot.

I'll keep them against the day my tastes may change, however, recognizing that I now admire and enjoy styles I once had no use for. To each his own, and to each phase of life its own.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hey, you can always use them in the snow.

well-kept

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Concordia

That's the last place I'd use them! With the steel heel cleats and the vast number of nails they're like ice skates even on rough terrain.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoe
real men wear longwings

OR at least aspire to.
devil.gif

OxxfordSJLINY

Reaction score
FWIW, Allen Edmonds markets their made to order shoes as custom shoes, even though they are really made to order shoes and not custom shoes like Dimitri Bottier/Dimitri Gomez bespoke shoes.

Also, what is the dictionary spelling for the correct pronunciation of Alden? Is it /al'din/ (with the short a sound for the A? Or, is it /aul'din/? Or, is it /ohl'den/ (with the short o shound for the A)?

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've become a vintage american longwing weirdo collector lately, and my personal opinion is that it is worth the wait and effort to get a true vintage NOS or barely worn Florsheim in the leather you want. Get the older version with the V cleat and the nails on the waist. You are wearing a piece of history on your feet right there. I suppose you can get Alden or AE if you just can't wait, but Florsheims are really worth it. Also considering the absolute max you could possibly pay for them might be $270 (unworn, with box, bags, shell), they are a bargain. There are simply no corners cut on the Florsheims. anyway here are some random vintage shots of shoes I have right now: I saw these on ebay and BINed for $25. I've never seen white kenmoors before or since
florsheim_white.jpg
nettleton
the other side of the Vintage Americana coin - plaintoe blucher aka the Yankee Wholecut
cordo11a.jpg
bostonian mid-brown cordo longwings
bostonian_cordo1.jpg
JM Aristocraft cordo bal:
aristocraft.jpg
Walk Over cordovan, thrifted, one of my most often worn shoes
walkover.JPG

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Concordia

Originally Posted by well-kept
That's the last place I'd use them! With the steel heel cleats and the vast number of nails they're like ice skates even on rough terrain.

And how! I'm ashamed at my laziness, as I live in North Dakota and have still not replaced the leather-and-steel heels on my vintage Florsheims with something that will not contribute to a chiropractor's income. I have to walk differently on ice and marble when I wear them.

Originally Posted by Tarmac
I've become a vintage american longwing weirdo collector lately, and my personal opinion is that it is worth the wait and effort to get a true vintage NOS or barely worn Florsheim in the leather you want. Get the older version with the V cleat and the nails on the waist. You are wearing a piece of history on your feet right there. I suppose you can get Alden or AE if you just can't wait, but Florsheims are really worth it. Also considering the absolute max you could possibly pay for them might be $270 (unworn, with box, bags, shell), they are a bargain. There are simply no corners cut on the Florsheims. anyway here are some random vintage shots of shoes I have right now:

I saw these on ebay and BINed for $25. I've never seen white kenmoors before or since
florsheim_white.jpg

nettleton

the other side of the Vintage Americana coin - plaintoe blucher aka the Yankee Wholecut
cordo11a.jpg

bostonian mid-brown cordo longwings
bostonian_cordo1.jpg

JM Aristocraft cordo bal:
aristocraft.jpg

Walk Over cordovan, thrifted, one of my most often worn shoes
walkover.JPG

Oh my goodness, what a treasure trove! I'm an avid watcher of Kenmoors, and I've never seen the white grain calf (though I've seen natural and olive green, in addition to brown shell cordovan). And those Bostonians look lovely!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads