• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Honeymoon in London, Paris, Rome advice

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy

For hotels, go onto tripadvisor.com. They rank hotels for each city and the ranking is excellent.

Get a copy of TIME OUT for each city. I find that to be the all around best summery of what to do. By going in December you get the benefit of the off season. You can go into any museum at the last minute, never wait in line, get a train anywhere, etc. I love a December trip and I hope you will too! Have a great time.

Thanks! The offseason is def something we're glad for, and my fiancee is a schoolteacher so it's her break and won't interfere with work. We're gonna end up spending Xmas in Rome, NYE in Paris, then after holiday sales in London.

Our hotels are booked, our Rome hotel seems to be in a great location, very central to everything....the Paris hotel i really have no idea about other than it being recommended by our travel agent, and the London hotel is in Kensington

nice to hear it won't be *that* cold....but cold enough to put some gear into use that doesnt normally see much wear, being in LA

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
lol. True.

I am not a fan of really "British" food, and while the French food in London is quite good now, it is nothing ocmpared to Paris so spending the extra change on it does not make a whole lot of sense.

What London does have is terrific ethnic food, especially Indian and Pakistani. We generally do tha more than anything else. If you want a really nice Indian where the atmosphere is terrific, the food great and the prices high, go to Tamarind. Locals will know better places than will I.

I have never found a good pub in London, so if you do, pass it on.

Try the Grenadier. It is one of London's oldest pubs and is in a very charming setting. It is especially nice in the winter with it's toasty fireplaces and the aroma of shepards pie. I think it is even more charming after dark.

My friend just returned from London and was shocked by food prices. He said he ended up sharing entres with his girlfriend to save money and to save calories. He said it really turned out to be very practical because it was the first time he didn't gain a few pounds. I guess you could say he saved Pounds all the way around?

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We were in Rome for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. Keep in mind everything will close at 6pm and will remain closed on Christmas Day. Have your hotel make a dinner reservation at one of the few places to eat that will be open. Even if you are not religious, one of the amazing experiences we had was to attend a midnight mass in an ancient church in Rome. It was all in Latin and Italian but we were so taken by the setting and the peaceful feeling. Christmas day plan to go for a walk and stock up on newspapers and magazines to read back at your hotel in front of the fireplace. You'll have a wonderful time.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Paris is easy.... Call RJMan, he has plenty of money. Lay a guilt trip on him about how expensive everything is. Keep reminding him it is your honeymoon, look the other way when the bill comes. Works for me every year.
smile.gif

Mustapha

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
Well, I mean, this is their honeymoon...

lol, I honeymooned with the cheapest bride on earth. We stayed in fleabag hotels and walked blocks for cheaper eats including pub breakfasts - $1.50 for toast and coffee. Her leaving home at 16 may have shaped her personality.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
Call RJMan, he has plenty of money.
No way -- for some reason, the city of Paris isn't letting me erect my memorial to the RJ cat in Pere Lachaise. The legal battle is getting really drawn out.

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The authentic British pub experience can still be had. Granted many of them have refurbished to appeal to the masses but the classic ones do exist if you seek them out. Most pubs also serve food with varying degrees of quality from high ('gastro pubs') to low.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
No way -- for some reason, the city of Paris isn't letting me erect my memorial to the RJ cat in Pere Lachaise. The legal battle is getting really drawn out.
well yeah, but you are representing yourself though.

Seersucker

Reaction score
Congratulations! My wife and I did the same honeymoon 10 years ago. The two big issues coming back to me were the weather and shoes.

We went in mid october, so a light sweater/jacket was all that was needed for us in the evening. However, my favorite pair of loafers died a horrible death in Paris because of three days of rain.

Having been back to Rome and Paris in a December, it was much colder than I anticipated, but still a wool topcoat and light wool or cashmere sweater in a layer should be okay.

In Paris, I would recommend one restaurant on the Ilse St. Louis, the Sargeant Recruiter. Call ahead for reservations or walk in for the communal seating. The food is fabulous. Come to think of it, I really haven't had a bad meal in Paris, but this place was very nice.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
Paris is easy....

Call RJMan, he has plenty of money.

Lay a guilt trip on him about how expensive everything is. Keep reminding him it is your honeymoon, look the other way when the bill comes.

I was planning on excusing myself to the restroom when the bill comes
tounge.gif

Perhaps we can employ Ernest as our tourguide in Paris

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
Perhaps we can employ Ernest as our tourguide in Paris
Ooh! you should!

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rome has a excellent somalian restaurant which truly remarkable considering the lack international cooking in general in roma and the very bad pizza they sell there for expensive prices. In general it can get very cold there last year i heard it it went past 0

il vecchio

Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
lol. True.

I am not a fan of really "British" food, and while the French food in London is quite good now, it is nothing ocmpared to Paris so spending the extra change on it does not make a whole lot of sense.

What London does have is terrific ethnic food, especially Indian and Pakistani. We generally do tha more than anything else. If you want a really nice Indian where the atmosphere is terrific, the food great and the prices high, go to Tamarind. Locals will know better places than will I.

I have never found a good pub in London, so if you do, pass it on.

I agree with your point about how expensive London is, but belittling it as a place to eat is a little out of date. London is widely acknowledged to be amonst the finest cities to eat in in the world and is in my recent experience no dearer than say New York. I ran up eye watering bills in Helen Darroze's place and Pierre Gagnier' Gaya in Paris lately ,and think that equivalent food in London - Tom Aitken's for example would cost about the same or even less. You have obviously not got to grips with the Gastro-pub scene, where beautifully kept beer can be matched by damn good bistro type food.
Could it be that your posts about not liking Edward Greens ( for God's sake), seeing no well dressed people in London, and not digging our pubs could betray a slight anti-anglo prejudice?
BTW I always enjoy your clothing and shoe posts - I would have volunteered to meet you for a drink in London (LL posts) but I am a pretty old guy and thought you might be bored.

Regards

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by il vecchio
Could it be that your posts about not liking Edward Greens ( for God's sake), seeing no well dressed people in London, and not digging our pubs could betray a slight anti-anglo prejudice?

LOL, I could see why you would say that, but London is actually my favorite city in the world. I am sure that I have chosen badly as far as pubs, and would be thrilled to be shown wrong... even by an old guy
smile.gif

BTW, don't get me started about my own home city, or even worse, NY.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads