• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best shoe color

Miguel Antonio

Reaction score
What is the traditional british shoe color for gentleman?. Someone told me it's black. Problem is that black doesn't match with brown suits, right?.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The British wear black shoes in town - and they avoid the problem of matching brown suits by not wearing them. Navy or grey only, please.

MunnyGuy

Reaction score
I am just figuring this out too. I always paired Black shoes with all suits (sorry no brown suits here). But have started to introduce Brown, and considering Cordovan shoes as well.

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black shoes with anything but the darker toned brown suits always strikes me as very discordant. That's just me. I'm English. I've certainly become more inclined to brown footwear.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Britalian
Black shoes with anything but the darker toned brown suits always strikes me as very discordant. That's just me. I'm English. I've certainly become more inclined to brown footwear.

What about a light tan cotton suit in summer? Black shoes and a black grenadine look very smart, I think.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From a traditional perspective, it was always black shoes with grey or navy and formal. Brown shoes were for casual clothing and suitings originally for wearing in the country and not in town. So you wore brown shoes with your brown, tan and green suitings.

Today, it is a different story and it depends so much on your personal style. Brown shoes look wonderful with a navy suit if you have a stylish manner. It doesn't really look right at a serious or somber occasion but a truely stylish guy would instinctively know that, right? So, go ahead and wear brown shoes with navy or grey. But, keep brown shoes to wear with a brown or green suit.

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
From a traditional perspective, it was always black shoes with grey or navy and formal. Brown shoes were for casual clothing and suitings originally for wearing in the country and not in town. So you wore brown shoes with your brown, tan and green suitings.

Today, it is a different story and it depends so much on your personal style. Brown shoes look wonderful with a navy suit if you have a stylish manner. It doesn't really look right at a serious or somber occasion but a truely stylish guy would instinctively know that, right? So, go ahead and wear brown shoes with navy or grey. But, keep brown shoes to wear with a brown or green suit.

A couple of my favourite combinations.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The English scene has evolved since i did come to England in 1997....
I do remember looking around Canterbury and Bluewater (a massive shopping mall) a few years ago for a decent pair of navy or burgundy shoes and only finding black /brown shoes on offer...

Now ,London is full of tan ,burgundy ,dark brown,mid-brown,navy and other colours under the sun...
The continental influence is slowly and surely pushing out the all black brigade ...
People want personal shoes with a twist and colour are exploding everywhere...

The brown is for farmers is also redundant except for the older generations...
With JM WESTON,Berluti,Lobb and so many Italian shoe makers present in England ,the younger Profesional crowd is slowly pushing the boundaries of the fashion etiquette...

The tan fad is receeding and thanks God for that....

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Tan shoes with everything.................

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
i would vote for burgundy or even a vintage cedar/ mid dark brown as there pair well with both navy's and grey in all shades

sully

Reaction score
Originally Posted by luk-cha
i would vote for burgundy or even a vintage cedar/ mid dark brown as there pair well with both navy's and grey in all shades
Yes a rich mid to dark brown is a very versatile colour.I find the lighter tan shades, especially if in a very exaggerated last shape can look a little comical if worn with too dark a colour. One needs to be tall and on the lean side to carry off some of these combinations. Dressing well is as much about wearing what suits your bodyshape as is the quality of what you wear.

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
What about a light tan cotton suit in summer? Black shoes and a black grenadine look very smart, I think.

I disagree. I think black shoes with khaki just looks bad, but this could be because I se it done so horribly so frequently.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads