• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

John Lobb bespoke model Amiel or Gaziano laser wingtip?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I do not like the G&G at all. I do think that the laser is ugly and do think the last is too sleek. I do get tired of these overly sleek lasts that people do seem to like.

I do like the Lobb very much but I really do think that you should return to Gomez and do think that you should beg for his forgiveness.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I do not like the G&G at all. I do think that the laser is ugly and do think the last is too sleek. I do get tired of these overly sleek lasts that people do seem to like.

I do like the Lobb very much but I really do think that you should return to Gomez and do think that you should beg for his forgiveness.

I think the laser is an interesting curiosity. On that sort of blind austerity brogue model, it's used sparingly enough not to look too affected.

G&G's trademark are its sleek lasts. However, obviously, Tony and Dean can make a shoe with any shape the buyer desires, within reason. Thus, I don't think the OP should disregard G&G because of their sleekness. The OP is considering Corthay. Corthay takes sleekness to the point of exaggeration.

Why should the OP beg Gomez's forgiveness? Has Dimitri been talking? And why should Dimitri grant it?

I have no personal experience with JLP bespoke or with Gomez bespoke (just his MTO). Why not go with Berluti bespoke? Their bespoke maker, Patrice Rock, used to be at Lobb. However, I've heard it's now quite hard to get an appointment with him.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^^^I do remember the OP mentioning skipping out on an appointment with Dimitri.

I also do agree with you about the G&G lasts, but not the lasering. I do agree that Corthay shoes tend to be hideous.

Panzeraxe II

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I do agree that Corthay shoes tend to be hideous.

I'm not a fan of the laser - looks artifical to my eye. JLP is overpriced though - I'm sure that G&G, or Delos, Gomez etc., can easily replicate the classicly-formed Amiel if that's what you want.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I will not be asking for forgiveness to God himself especially when i pay 2000 pounds for a pair of shoes....
I was busy and if he is pissed off that's his problem...

I do like the Gaziano last even if i do ask him to make it less pointy.....
I'm not sure of the lasering.....I was spoken to Tony and i will have a look at different laser engraving.

I do like Gomez and JLP but i'm not ready to pay the price tag under the brand pretext....

I do hate rtw Berluti and hat's a matter of principle not to buy any of their products....

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Re Dimitri, I am sure he is not pissed off. I was commenting, in joke, only from your post, not from ever speaking to him.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I did feel a bit embarassed not to have the time to warn him because of simple politeness and education...

I will apologize for that reason ,not for missing an appointment...

i can ask Tony to do the same shape without the laser engraving but the shoes are looking stunning....
We have had a long chat and he told me that we can have different depths of engraving.......

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

+1 on everything here. I really don't like that G&G last. Way too trendy-pointy IMO

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I do get tired of these overly sleek lasts that people do seem to like.

Weren't you the guy who posted a thread praising that new C&J elf shoe last?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton

spanking.gif

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
To my eye, the C&J toe was much more balanced. The above G&G looks like the multi colored Scafora shoe. If somebody could tell me how to grab an image off of a flash site I would post the offending Scafora.

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Panzeraxe II
I have a pair on order with Corthay

Did you arrange this directly with Corthay because I know you can do it in the Atelier, but when I asked BG they couldn't answer. BG is having a Corthay event in October and they cannot even confirm if special orders wil be possible.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads