• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alden Cordovan Longwings

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like those longwings (I also have the Florsheim Imperial Kenmoor and wear them plenty), but if I were going for an Alden cordovan shoe, I'd probably go for one of those split toe moc bluchers.
cv.jpg

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I prefer wingtip bals, actually.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Those would look great with a tweed suit or jeans and sweater. I've always liked a chunky wing-tip especially the longwing blucher. I've got the AE MacNeil (calfskin) which is also nice, but I think the Alden gets extra points for its details like the zigzag tongue. Although the Alden seems really heavy... an extra workout walking up those SF hills.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Alden Long Wing is a classic. I have those shoes (in brown cordovan) and wear them a lot. Take care of them, and they will last a lifetime.

LSeca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I am thinking of picking a pair of these up. Any comments from current owners about how you have liked them? Or from non owners...

Matt,

Those shoes are a bit bulky in-person, as Manton said, but this gives them a nice substantial look. I like them, and this shoe will never go out of style. In my mind this is possibly the most classic, quality made, and best wearing American shoe. I would actually consider buying these one day, I will say my Alden shells seem to run a bit wide in comparison to other shoes in similiar size. I do not know if these are on the same last as my monks, but I could have went down to C width.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So, I went down to Alden San Francisco today and tried the shoes on. As everybody warned, they are a bit clunky, but also very classic. Unfortunately, the only pair available in my size (I had to go down 1/2) was a little beat up, so I ended up buying from Shoemart. I am figuring that at worst they will be awesome with jeans, and at best I will figure out how to work them into my rotation with suits.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am thinking of picking a pair of these up. Any comments from current owners about how you have liked them? Or from non owners...

975.jpg

You deserve better.

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, I went down to Alden San Francisco today and tried the shoes on. As everybody warned, they are a bit clunky, but also very classic. Unfortunately, the only pair available in my size (I had to go down 1/2) was a little beat up, so I ended up buying from Shoemart. I am figuring that at worst they will be awesome with jeans, and at best I will figure out how to work them into my rotation with suits.

Nice, I don't have Alden shell longwings (wish I did) I only have Florsheims. Question though what part of the shoe does the term long wing refer to the the front piece of leather behind the medallion or how it extends along the side?

jbryanb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jml90
Question though what part of the shoe does the term long wing refer to the the front piece of leather behind the medallion or how it extends along the side?

The piece of leather is what makes them a wingtip, and the fact that it extends all the way down the shoe makes it a longwing.

Augustus Davies

Reaction score
975.jpg

I have a pair. In black though. I bought them last January and wore them only 10 times. As for comfort. They are extremely comfortable. But I think the heels are too soft. I prefer wearing my vintage 'V' cleat Florsheim Royal Imperials. Large heel, double sole storm welted. Which I have several pairs in different colours. And go really well with jeans or heavy winter slacks. I like a shoe with substance. Also the workmanship on my Aldens is inferior to my vintage Florsheim Royal Imperials. You can see wheel marks on the sides of the shoe when the long wing was sewn on. And the perforations on the toes of each shoe don't match and are a different diameter too. One shoes toe perforation is lower by a quarter inch.. When I bought them I didn't know I had to wear my 325 power reading glasses to look for shoddy workmanship.

LSeca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
You deserve better.

fritzl, those Aldens are much better looking than the bespoke shoes in your avatar. I don't know if anyone has ever told you, but those are blobby and tired looking. The weave-like leather tries to make them interesting but instead they look like a gaudy mess. Perhaps the ultimate in bespoke though, a direct reflection of their owner.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, let's put it this way, the cordo longwings (in #8) are my only pair of Aldens that I wore enough to wear out ( still took over 15 years of 3 times a week). a great shoe and as i'm in the "bluchers with suits are ok" crowd I wore them with "city" suits all the time. Need a new pair but will probably do Ravello this time . Tom- a 12C Please.
smile.gif

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Order a Vass U or F last wingtip in Shell. Do a Double or Triple sole to get that clunk.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads