• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shirts from Harvey and Hudson

chapunso

Reaction score
I am interested in the purchase on line of several H&H shirts. Y wear a 16/36. I have purchased already from TML, Pink and CT. there are some discrepancies in neck sizing, with the TML running usually half a size shorter. I like to know also if the stripes from the yoke or shoulder match with those running down the sleeve.
Could you please share your experiences?
thanks

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I only have plain or small-check shirts from Harvie and Hudson, so I can't comment on the sleeve pattern-matching.

I will, however, say that they are lovely shirts - I prefer them to either TM Lewin or Charles Tyrwhitt. I don't have any Thomas Pink shirts, but from what I hear about Pink shirts on this and other fora, I'm sure that they're nicer than Pink, too.

I particularly like the collar on my H&H shirts - I find both TM Lewin and Tyrwhitt collars to be a bit too stiff - so stiff, in fact, that they hardly need collar stiffeners. However, H&H collars are very nicely shaped (in my opinion) and are not too soft, not too stiff - a pleasant balance. I take a 16.5 collar in both Lewin and Tyrwhitt, and find H&H to be consistent with my sizing. I haven't noticed any shrinkage issues with any of the three brands, but then I wash my shirts at home in lukewarm water, rather than sending them out to a commercial laundry.

I'm seriously thinking of getting one of their bengal stripe shirts with the white collar and cuffs. I wouldn't mind getting another couple of shirts at the same time, so the "three shirts or more for UK30 each" is an attractive offer, particularly considering quality and the fact that the shirts are allegedly made in the UK.

Mr_Sweden

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chapunso
I like to know also if the stripes from the yoke or shoulder match with those running down the sleeve.

No, they don't match stripes, or checks, at the shoulder seam.

/Mr S

friism

Reaction score
I have some H&H shirts, but I must say that I'm not very pleased with the collar-construction. It may be because I got mine a size to small, but they seem to collapse somehow if worn without a tie. Another bug is that you can't get barrel-cuffs without a breast-pocket.

I will say though that the current crop of patterns is amazing and that I'm seriously contemplating ordering a batch - especially now that there's no discount code at Tyrwhitt (plus I find Tyrwhitts current range of designs decidedly underwhelming).

water

Reaction score
I was going to order a couple until I noticed that the barrel cuff options all had chest pockets. Blah.

Medvald

Reaction score
I have only one of their shirts. It is well made but I find the collar a bit off. Possibly to low. I have not used it for years but somehow I was never pleased with the way it looked with a tie. I used to wear Pink many years ago but the collar lost its shape somehow after few times to the cleaners. Today I use H&K and T&A of the Jermyn street houses and find them better.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never worn Turnbull and Asser (T&A), and so I can't comment on their construction. I do have a few Hilditch and Key (H&K) shirts, however, and I do agree that they are quite a bit nicer than my Harvie and Hudson shirts.

Significantly, the H&K shirts are also much nicer than my Tyrwhitt and TM Lewin shirts. The original poster mentioned that he had Tyrwhitt and Lewin shirts and was wondering about H&H.

Realistically, H&K and T&A shirts are in a considerably different league from H&H, Tyrwhitt and TM Lewin. Even on sale, H&K and T&A tend to cost twice as much as the other brands.

Therefore, I think that it's a bit disingenuous to compare H&H with T&A, H&K etc - it's far more relevant to compare H&H with similarly-priced shirts, and when you do that, I (in my own, humble opinion) think that H&H produces a nicer shirt than either Tyrwhitt or TM Lewin.

I also agree with friism that Tyrwhitt's current range is quite underwhelming. The last couple of seasons have been very conservative and "blah", particularly when compared to the attractive patterns and shirt/tie combinations of the couple of years prior.

water

Reaction score
I wish Tyrwhitt offered more in their slim fit range. I am thin and I fear a regular Tyrwhitt would be like a tent on me.

As for H&K, I have always been tempted. How slim are they cut?

summej2

Reaction score
Originally Posted by water
As for H&K, I have always been tempted. How slim are they cut?

The standard fit? not at all and with a low-set chest pocket. Otherwise, I like them quite a bit. T&A RTW seems to be the slimmer of the two, but less well made.

chapunso

Reaction score
I just received an email from mr Harvey answering my concerns (monograming ans strip matching). I have decided to purchase 3 shirts (french bengal stripes)for 33 pounds each. I will report back
Dear Sir

Thank you for your email.
In answer to your questions, we do endeavour to match up stripes accross the
shoulder and down the arm. As to sizing, we think that we are fairly
accurate, however, my suggestion, especially if you want them monogrammed is
to try one in 16" collar. The monograms are embroidered by hand and are
generally £9.50 per letter.

Do let me know if you would like me to send you a monogram chart.

I look forward to hearing from you.
Kind regards
Richard Harvie

Gruto

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chapunso
I just received an email from mr Harvey answering my concerns (monograming ans strip matching). I have decided to purchase 3 shirts (french bengal stripes)for 33 pounds each. I will report back
Dear Sir

Thank you for your email.
In answer to your questions, we do endeavour to match up stripes accross the
shoulder and down the arm. As to sizing, we think that we are fairly
accurate, however, my suggestion, especially if you want them monogrammed is
to try one in 16" collar. The monograms are embroidered by hand and are
generally £9.50 per letter.

Do let me know if you would like me to send you a monogram chart.

I look forward to hearing from you.
Kind regards
Richard Harvie

If you want pattern matching I think should go to H&K or Emma Willis. They seems to be the best. H&H will only do it on the bespoke shirts, if you ask for it. The RTWs don't have matching patterns.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics