• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

lean toned swimmers build

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
My fraternity was almost half swimmers and water polo players. I have never seen a group of guys smoke more pot, blow more coke and drink more beer. They all looked to be in good shape, but it was not from clean living.

Its nice to know I could be an incredible a swimmer, except for the part about swimming...

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Practice Bikram Yoga and you'll like like this.

40019429.jpg

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by greg_atlanta
Light weights, long low-intensity cardio, NO alcohol (ever again), massive calorie restrictrion. If you're over 25 forget it.
That's a pretty narrow minded outlook. Everyone's genetic make up is different. I just turned 35 and am leaner and in better shape than the majority of 20 year olds, without even trying all that hard..

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
My tastes run more to Amanda Beard.
tounge.gif

Upon which we shall agree.
cheers.gif

Originally Posted by Stylin-1
That's a pretty narrow minded outlook. Everyone's genetic make up is different. I just turned 35 and am leaner and in better shape than the majority of 20 year olds, without even trying all that hard..
+1. Getting fit is not a perfect science, unlike what greg_atlanta keeps telling us.
laugh.gif

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NoVaguy
ha!

if you swim a lot, you will end up eating a lot, and still get toned.

I've never been any kind of competitive swimmer, but I've heard this from a number of sources. I remember reading a fitness article describing the diet of a guy who was on the US Olympic team--more than 8000 calories/day.

LSeca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Swimmers are lean, but usually not as toned for the level of fitness they have. Their bodies will store a thin layer of fat to act as insulation from the cold water over time. Professional runners, for example, will be more toned than the professional swimmer.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saucemaster
I've never been any kind of competitive swimmer, but I've heard this from a number of sources. I remember reading a fitness article describing the diet of a guy who was on the US Olympic team--more than 8000 calories/day.
So true. The chair of our school P.E. department once told me the X-country runners need upward of 5000 calories a day during periods of heavy training/competition. And they're all rail thin.
crazy.gif

Originally Posted by LSeca
Swimmers are lean, but usually not as toned for the level of fitness they have. Their bodies will store a thin layer of fat to act as insulation from the cold water over time. Professional runners, for example, will be more toned than the professional swimmer.
Good point. Also, running is a bodyweight exercise, thus burns calories at a significantly faster rate.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Maharlika
Practice Bikram Yoga and you'll like like this.
40019429.jpg

...disgusting?
Also, running is a bodyweight exercise, thus burns calories at a significantly faster rate.
True, it also builds bone density, something swimmers lack. They might survive global warming with their swimming skills, but they'll snap like toothpicks GODDAMN TOOTHPICKS.

hchamp

Reaction score
Light weights, long low-intensity cardio, NO alcohol (ever again), massive calorie restrictrion. If you're over 25 forget it.

I'm > 25, swim 3 to 4 times a week, and am still the same weight I was 15 years ago. Swimming won't make you bulky or really cut like a bodybuilder, but it will keep you lean and give you pretty good upper body definition. It's a great way to get in shape. And you can still drink and eat junk - in moderation.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stylin-1

+1, since I have started watching my diet and cutting out what I consider to be bad stuff through my own research, I lost a ton of weight and look years younger, and I'm in my mid 20s.

I think, with the right diet, supplements, etc, you can get the look you want for a while.

kakemono

Reaction score
Well, the best swimmers have a similar bone structure where they generally have very wide shoulders. That is genetic, but the lean part... the above posts

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For what it's worth, my wife and just about every other woman I've known range anywhere from indifferent to turned off by the competetive level bodybuilder physique, but go absolutely ga-ga during the men's Olympic swimming events.

Something to keep in mind, based on my experience.

nioh

Reaction score

Total bs.

Originally Posted by adversity04
+2

Or do full body functional workouts

Indeed. ~6 months of intense gym workout and slight bulk should be enough if you're a beginner with an average male body. Diet and do cardio until you've reached your desired level of body fat, don't forget to keep working those weights. Voilà .

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JBZ
For what it's worth, my wife and just about every other woman I've known range anywhere from indifferent to turned off by the competetive level bodybuilder physique, but go absolutely ga-ga during the men's Olympic swimming events.

+1. And every gay man I know, as well.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saucemaster

yup. i look back and can't believe how much i was eating from age 13 to 18. Every dinner was a double serving of everything. Looking back, it was insane - I swam full-time in the summer and winter (club and highschool), played soccer for 2 teams in the fall (club and highschool) and spring (club and high school practice squad). The calorie demands were just extreme.

I always think about going back to that exercise lifestyle, but 2 or 3 hours a day of excercise is a little too much with a full time job and night school. But it was fun while I was doing it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads