• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

blazer vs. sport coat?

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the real difference between the two, and what are thier appropriate applications?

FlaneurNYC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
According to STP:

Blazer vs. Sport Coat. The only difference between a blazer and a sport coat is that a blazer is always solid-colored and a sport coat always has some type of pattern (stripes, checks, herringbone, etc.).

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/lp2/mens-guide.html

I guess the applications are endless. I might see a blazer as a touch more formal.

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
blazers are navy and have metal buttons

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by appolyon
...blazers are navy...

Or striped (as in English rowing or cricket getup), or some solid color like coral or lime green (American golf club).

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Sportcoat (or odd jacket) is the genus, blazer is one species in that genus.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Blazers in the Black Watch tartan have some popularity in the States. I just had W.W. Chan make me one from a Holland & Sherry "Snowy River" fabric with H&S enameled buttons with the Celtic Cross design, and I am extremely pleased with it.

I think the Beverly Hills Brooks Brothers regularly stocks both green and Black Watch blazers although I have never seen either at their South Coast store that I more commonly visit.

Although metal buttons are customarily regarded as essentially differentiating a blazer from a sport coat, I think solid color jackets with smoked mother of pearl buttons are also customarily deemed blazers...at least if they're dark blue.

rssmsvc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
Blazers in the Black Watch tartan have some popularity in the States. I just had W.W. Chan make me one from a Holland & Sherry "Snowy River" fabric with H&S enameled buttons with the Celtic Cross design, and I am extremely pleased with it.

I think the Beverly Hills Brooks Brothers regularly stocks both green and Black Watch blazers although I have never seen either at their South Coast store that I more commonly visit.

Although metal buttons are customarily regarded as essentially differentiating a blazer from a sport coat, I think solid color jackets with smoked mother of pearl buttons are also customarily deemed blazers...at least if they're dark blue.

What color pants do you wear with that ? I have a jacket like that and I have only be successful pairing it with light gray pants.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rssmsvc
What color pants do you wear with that ? I have a jacket like that and I have only be successful pairing it with light gray pants.

Light gray, dark gray, various shades of tan and light brown and navy. I think it is particularly striking with the latter.

Butters1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Sportcoat (or odd jacket) is the genus, blazer is one species in that genus.

Originally Posted by Concordia
Or striped (as in English rowing or cricket getup), or some solid color like coral or lime green (American golf club).

Originally Posted by appolyon
blazers are navy and have metal buttons

Originally Posted by katon
Metal buttons.

Originally Posted by FlaneurNYC
According to STP:

Blazer vs. Sport Coat. The only difference between a blazer and a sport coat is that a blazer is always solid-colored and a sport coat always has some type of pattern (stripes, checks, herringbone, etc.).

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/lp2/mens-guide.html

I guess the applications are endless. I might see a blazer as a touch more formal.

So who is right? Some are saying they are two different things some are saying one is a type of the other.

boarhill

Reaction score
Are you righting a thesis on the subject for the Miami Institute of Fashion, sir? Otherwse may I simply say that both are men's jackets and can be worn interchangeably with a pair of dress trousers and dress shirt. Perhaps you should stop letting you mother dress you and visit a reputable haberdasher

Eccentric

Reaction score
Ah, it's about time we had a thread on something new and un-discussed here in MC.

boarhill

Reaction score
Thank you for pointing out my spelling error sir. Now shouldn't you get back to the housework before your good ladywife gets home

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads