• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Open or closed quarters?

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What say ye?
I have a new suit with open quarters, I think I like it.
What is the opinions here?
Pics of examples?
is there something inbetween?
What characteristics does each impart?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Open!

Closed looks asymetrical, like a Y. Open looks fluid and symetrical, like an X. Closed looks like the coat is out of balance, with a short front and a long back.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Open.

But I'm just saying that because I'm Manton's lapdog. Or fanboy. Or whatever they called me.

DandySF

Reaction score
Just the other day I noticed a man in a very boxy suit coat with closed quarters. It had a smock-like appearance. Open quarters provide visual interest and serve as a nice counterpoint to the V formed by the lapels.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Can we get pics of examples?

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very closed really doesn't look good - there may be exceptions but I can't think of any.

But more open doesn't necessarily mean better.

This is too open for me:
duca20monopetto1qr7.jpg

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cantabrigian
Very closed really doesn't look good - there may be exceptions but I can't think of any.

But more open doesn't necessarily mean better.

This is too open for me:
duca20monopetto1qr7.jpg

I don't think it's the openess of the quaters that makes that coat look unusual. It's more the button stance. There are two buttons, neither of which is at the waist of the coat. As I recall, the traditional way to wear such coats was to button both buttons. Doing that, the quarters would close up a bit.

FlaneurNYC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also think that having the bottom button done and not the top creates an asymmetry that is unflattering. If the top button were done and the bottom left open, the jacket would look a little more balanced.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree that the button stance(s) is weird but I think that even with the top button buttoned, it would still be a little too cut away.

Even with Huntsman one-button coats, the quarters stay closed / overlap a bit lower before opening.

Edit: same sort of thing from Richard Anderson

country_img.jpg

nioh

Reaction score
Open!

Goes with a good cut.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I agree, I don't like a perfect X. The opening above the button should be a little wider than the opening below. I really don't like it when the opening below is wider. That makes the coat look out of balance in the opposite way: long front, short back.

novalis

Reaction score
Interestingly enough, some don't think the exposure of open quarters is appropriate. Check out this embedded video at http://www.gregchapman.com/

Near the end of the video, Chapman, a clothier in LA, comments on a client's RTW suit jacket and notes that it "wasn't cut properly in the front and consequently exposes the crotch".

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Isnt that why better suit makers put much time and effort into the front of pants?

Can we get a pic (Manton) of what the ideal looks like?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads