• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need a scarf to go with my Navy Cashmere Overcoat

GQhustler

Reaction score
I know it's kind of early, but I just got a nice cashmere overcoat from Barney's warehouse sale for half off. Now I am looking for a scarf to go with it. I'm not sure, however, what color scarf would go best with a navy overcoat. I will mainly be wearing this to work at an investment bank. The colors I had in mind were charcoal, burgundy, ivory, grey, and the like. I don't really know what color would be the most versatile.

I also am not sure about the best patterns. Should I go solid, ribbed, textured, stripes, argyle? There are too many choices. I know that I want cashmere, I just need some guidance.

While I'm on the topic, as far as gloves go, do you match them to your scarf, your shoes, or what?

Thanks in advance

TomW

Reaction score
With my navy overcoat I wear several shades of grey, burgundy, tan and pink scarves in both solids and patterns. With my charcol overcoatd I add navy to the mix.. and with the tan overcoat I only remove the solid tan scarf.

Wear whatever color/colors fit in with the dress of the day, there are too many options and scarves are relatively cheap accessories and should be possessed in abundance, much like ties and pocket squares.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like plaid scarves more than plain, and just a little more than striped (although striped can be great), and soft lambswool over cheap cashmere. Any color other than black would look good with navy. Get what catches your eye, and what you think looks good with your complexion. Really anything would be fine. Also, and not just as someone currently selling scarves, you should get more than one, because you will lose it eventually.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Most of my scarves are decorated with tribal-ish patterns. I also like plaids. Plains, not so much.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You have many choices available. Personally, I happen to love taupe with navy. Loden green, as well. Depends too, on the shade of the navy. Some navy leans toward indigo/purple, other navy has more green.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was just thinking about this question today, thought I'd throw my 2 cents in.

Highly recommend a burnt orange cashmere scarf. You can find them everywhere from Brooks Brothers and Paul Stuart to.....well, just about anywhere. My advice is to buy one from Saks Fifth Avenue in NYC if possible, when their winter gear comes in. The burnt orange color is killer with a dark topcoat, but has additional use in wearing it with a tweed or guncheck sportcoat in the fall/ winter. Helps justify the cost a little more.

Here's mine, a loro piana I bought at saks and wore it with a tweed jacket (unfortunately, didn't have the tweed jacket tailored at the waist at that time).

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
http://www.fourinhand.com/catalog.as...tring=cashmere
spam[1].gif
I couldnt resist as I have close to 50 different options in Cashmere Scarves. But No Burnt Orange
frown.gif

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd go with with a camel or a red.

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQhustler
While I'm on the topic, as far as gloves go, do you match them to your scarf, your shoes, or what?

To my shoes black and brown gloves are all I think you need.

Try to keep them as slim as possible while suited to the temperatures where you live. IE If you are an investment banker you gloves should look like and investment banker's not a trucker's.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQhustler
I know it's kind of early, but I just got a nice cashmere overcoat from Barney's warehouse sale for half off. Now I am looking for a scarf to go with it. I'm not sure, however, what color scarf would go best with a navy overcoat. I will mainly be wearing this to work at an investment bank. The colors I had in mind were charcoal, burgundy, ivory, grey, and the like. I don't really know what color would be the most versatile.

I also am not sure about the best patterns. Should I go solid, ribbed, textured, stripes, argyle? There are too many choices. I know that I want cashmere, I just need some guidance.

Conservative environment, conservative attire. Probably no bolder than burgundy. Ivory might not look good after a while.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
One scarf is never enough. I've ended up with about half a dozen and still feel I need a few more (I've stopped myself buying them though). Scarves are a nice opportunity to add a splash of colour or interesting designs - bolders paisleys, houndstooth, plaids/tartans, etc, etc.

With business dress and a navy overcoat, try a silk scarf. More casually, try cashmere. Also consider reversible scarves - the contrast between the two sides adds even more interest.

Gloves? I tend to wear a favourite very dark brown leather pair with almost everything but really, I think black gloves with black shoes is probably better.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads