• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

my ebay dispute...with delicious irony

vinouspleasure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I purchased a pair of AE park avenues on ebay. I paid via paypal but never heard from the seller. After a number of emails, I called the seller directly and left a VM. He responded via email that he was in the process of moving, apologized and would send the shoes immediately. Once thy arrived, I realized they were undisclosed seconds with a number of visible imperfections that weren't in the item description.

I emailed the seller, offering to return the shoes at my cost and requestied a full refund. No reply. Another email and VM later with no reply, I decided to open a paypal dispute, my first. The seller never responded to the paypal dispute so they refunded my money. Now I was in possession of the shoes and the money! Additionally, I was convinced that the seller didn't realize that paypal moved the money into my account...after all, he just had to tell paypal he agreed to refund my money to avoid having them deduct money from his account.

About a week later, the seller emailed me agreeing to a refund. I asked for an updated address as he mentioned he was moving and posted the shoes to him. On vacation last week, he sent me a note claiming the shoes never reached him. Given our history, it seemed much more likely that he was yanking my chain than the shoes were lost. Back from vacation, picked up our mail, and there were his shoes...marked return to sender!!

The delicious irony here is that the seller decided to be a jerk, had me pay to return the shoes to him and marked them return to sender thinking it would cost me time and money. Instead, I now have my money and his shoes.

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great story. If they are a size 10.5 D I expect you to sell them to me. Oh how I want some AE's!

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm are you sure they actually deducted money from him?

also, he said he was moving, couldn't it be that there was a problem with the address?

in any case, you are fine so that's good.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which ebay seller is this?

cd1

Reaction score
I seriously doubt that he would purposefully have them returned to sender

vinouspleasure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
>>If they are a size 10.5 D I expect you to sell them to me. Oh how I want some AE's!

they are 11Ds but I purchased a pair of used sutor mantellassis in 10.5D that don't fit. I was going to post them here...any interest?

>>Hmm are you sure they actually deducted money from him?'
yes, there is a reversal transaction in my paypal account.

>>also, he said he was moving, couldn't it be that there was a problem with the address?
well, thats why I asked him for his address before I posted them.

>>Which ebay seller is this?
At the point I'm sure this wasn't an honest mistake, I'll post the sellers name.

elnatural

Reaction score
Well you technically don't have his money. I had this happean before, I threw away a shipping address because I saw it was delivered, and a week later he claimed it never came. So I felt nothing was in my control at this point, so he appealed it on Ebay. I explained my story. And Paypal decided to appoint the buyer the winner, and refunded him.

The thing is, I withdrew the money from Paypal into my checking account. Then my paypal account was -43 dollars. But it didn't come out of my checking. So I closed the Paypal account, made a new one, and they never contacted me in regards to it. So, I guess.. you have Paypal's money.

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sutor Mantellassis are way out of my range, haha. I'm only like 20! Maybe someday I'll get some though.

vinouspleasure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
>>Sutor Mantellassis are way out of my range, haha. I'm only like 20! Maybe someday I'll get some though.

well, they are used...$150 shipped.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by elnatural
The thing is, I withdrew the money from Paypal into my checking account. Then my paypal account was -43 dollars. But it didn't come out of my checking. So I closed the Paypal account, made a new one, and they never contacted me in regards to it. So, I guess.. you have Paypal's money.

yeah, this is what I'm thinking.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't get it. Why would he mark them "return to sender" himself? You mean, to make you ship them a second time, at no direct benefit to him?

vinouspleasure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From his point of view, lets assume he's not happy about the refund and he thinks he has my money. So he says, "yes, return them to me" with no intention of issuing a refund. I spend $15 sending the shoes to him and he marks them return to sender.

From his point of view, I've now spent another $15 on the shoes and he has still has no intention of issuing a refund.

At this point, I'll give him another chance as it might have been an honest mistake. ..but he has to send me $20 to cover shipping costs.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by harryx2
I don't think that Paypal EVER pays from its own money.

hmm not sure what you mean. as a buyer, if you paid with paypal via cc and do a chargeback, paypal most certainly has to cough it up, regardless of whether the seller refunds it or has flown on his learjet to the Cayman Islands.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vinouspleasure
The delicious irony here is that the seller decided to be a jerk, had me pay to return the shoes to him and marked them return to sender thinking it would cost me time and money. Instead, I now have my money and his shoes.

Something strikes me as wrong about this whole situation, and I don't think your gloating is helping me either. I'm not saying that the seller treated you fairly, but it seems like you are being kind of unfair, by either ripping off the seller or paypal. You've got both the goods and the money. There's just something a little ethically off about that. First, I don't think it's that weird for you to have to pay return shipping. Granted, if he misdescribed the shoes, then he should probably step up and pay the shipping. But this happens all the time, both on ebay and on legit online stores like STP. It's part of the price we pay for shopping online. You just send it back and suck up the small cost.

Next, I'd give the seller one last chance to get his goods back. It's just not right for you to have both. It's either unfair to him, if his paypal account was actually deducted. Or unfair to paypal, if you keep both. Just send him an email, explain the situation, tell him he should be pay return shipping and reimburse you for your earlier costs/annoyances. If he doesn't agree to that, then keep the shoes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics