• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnoldh
What does ginormous mean?

Gigantic + Enormous.

I don't think it's worth going to the thrift stores where I live. But it's funny some of the stuff you find in these jacket pockets though. I found a note in a coat pocket that read, "The snake is dangerous. He may be telling about her when they are out."

What the hell?

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tonylumpkin
Probably means it would fit me, which makes it one of the things I have never found.

Me too. Rock on
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Cavalier

Reaction score
has anyone put together a list of high end brands yet to use as a guide while thrifting?

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
^Too vast to consider, really. Learn quality labels from the forum. You might also try visiting a couple of local men's shops in your area and learn what they carry. Quality thrift items will often reflect what stores in your area carry/have carried.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ray-Ban semi-aviators - they actually fit my huge head:
DSC00472-1.jpg
Had the plastic thingies at the ears and the nose changed. Total cost: $18, converted.

The Deacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Savers, a discount store in West Roxbury/Dedham MA had a Labor day sale with all "used " merchandise discounted 50% .

I found two near new Paul Stuart suits sized 41L . One was slate grey flannel with off white chalk stripes. The other was Navy with a silver pin stripe. I brought along my son who told me he was interested in getting additional suits for variety at church services. The jackets and pants need minimal altering for him. They were $7 each with the discount.

Lightening struck for an unprecedented fourth time in four weeks for me as I once again lucked into some tasteful similarly sized gentleman's former wardrobe. I found four nice Tom james suits that fit me so well that I only need to take in the waist 1.5 inches. I took two of them, a solid navy and another that is olive with subtle striping. I'm a 48L and can actually get by without alterions but I want no absolutely no question regarding the fit. $12 each with the discount.

Lastly I purchased a new deadstock pair of black Hanover pebble grained double soled longwings in 9D whose sturdiness surprisingly far surpasses the many Florsheim Royal imperials I've owned and sold. They still have the original sticker from their original place of sale. I'll be selling them soon. They were $5.

I have never paid close attention to Paul Stuart suits and had not heard of them prior to discovering SF. Do they compare or are they of higher quality than labels I own and are familiar with such as Versace, Canali, Boss, Armani, mani, Hart shaffner and Marx, Corneliani, Zegna?

Thanks for your attention and keep on thrifting!
cheers.gif

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also from this weekends thrifting...now that I've cleaned them up a bit. These are a pair of Florsheim Royal Imperials size 8E. Anyone have guess how old they are?

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Teacher, Teacher?

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Deacon
I have never paid close attention to Paul Stuart suits and had not heard of them prior to discovering SF. Do they compare or are they of higher quality than labels I own and are familiar with such as Versace, Canali, Boss, Armani, mani, Hart shaffner and Marx, Corneliani, Zegna?

If they were made in Canada then they should be Samuelsohns, and very nice suits. My PS Samuelsohns are among my favorites. They rank construction wise in the same neighborhood as Hickey-Freeman, fully canvassed, etc. If you do a search there's a thread on a Samuelsohn factory tour (or was that at Ask Andy?).

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
If they were made in Canada then they should be Samuelsohns, and very nice suits. My PS Samuelsohns are among my favorites. They rank construction wise in the same neighborhood as Hickey-Freeman, fully canvassed, etc. If you do a search there's a thread on a Samuelsohn factory tour (or was that at Ask Andy?).
I think my fingers are getting more discerning. I was wading through a bunch of junk sportcoats when my fingers felt something soft and supple and I stopped. Label read Samuelsohns, tagged at $3.50. Didn't know who they were but found it was 90% wool 10% cashmere , felt very nice, could feel the canvas, unfortunately a 42R.
confused.gif
I knew they were good!

Staatsoper

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tonylumpkin
Also from this weekends thrifting...now that I've cleaned them up a bit. These are a pair of Florsheim Royal Imperials size 8E. Anyone have guess how old they are?
Had an identical pair as a senior in high school, 1969-70. I frequently wore them to class with a well-worn Brooks Brothers tweed blazer, faded cords, button-down shirt, Irish poplin striped tie and a tweed driver's cap. Could never figure out why all the girls preferred the athletes, or counter-culture types in rock bands...hmmmmm....ah, memories.

usaa

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HomerJ
I think my fingers are getting more discerning. I was wading through a bunch of junk sportcoats when my fingers felt something soft and supple and I stopped. Label read Samuelsohns, tagged at $3.50. Didn't know who they were but found it was 90% wool 10% cashmere , felt very nice, could feel the canvas, unfortunately a 42R.
confused.gif
I knew they were good!

Does that jacket still need a proper home? I just might be able to help you place it.

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by usaa
Does that jacket still need a proper home? I just might be able to help you place it.
I passed on it because I'm a 38R. It was, if I recall, a brown 2 button SB 42R. If I can find it again it would be $7 though because the 50% off sale is over. I see that is how much you paid total for some BB, Oxxford, Paul Stuart coats! If you see any 38R's like that, I know I'd take them off your hands. I can't find anything around here and it's getting frustrating after reading some of the stuff you guys haul in.

usaa

Reaction score
Just as well I suppose...my wife would probably have a heart attack if I brought another jacket into our tiny apartment, and rightfully so. In fact, I bought a jacket for buttons today and had to be careful to make a preemptory explanation that I would be chucking the garment itself. Thanks for the kind offer though.
I will be sure to keep an eye out for 38R - if you're interested, pm me the sort of thing you're after and if I encounter anything of quality I'll pick it up for you. My $7 spree was definitely not a standard day at the thrift store, but I usually come across some good stuff that I leave behind since it doesn't fit me or isn't really worth the trouble of flipping.

mr.loverman

Reaction score
today

l'aiglon eelskin belt. rather worn but still cool as hell.

SQ seiko watch 2$. not a super fancy model. i think its broken now that i've had a look at it. that wrist band is worth more than that though. any tips on how to get this thing checked out without spending too much $

white dior shirt(for my sister)

ralph lauren chino shorts

oiltan full grain leather belt from uruguay. it think it might be made out of cayman or something. no label but quality looks great. if its fake cayman its a very convincing job.

a couple levi's western shirts

a couple crap shirts that i may now discard.

total was 25$. it was a half off day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics