• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Post pictures of a *properly* fitting dress shirt!

Ligament

Reaction score
Hi All,

I wonder if some of you would post some pictures of shirts that you consider to be *properly* cut/fitted...a look that those of us more ignorant can use for a reference when we critique our own shirts.

Please tell us *why* it is fitted properly if you would.

thanks.f

jinx

Reaction score
great question.
cant wait to see some responces

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll take a picture of one of my shirts as an example. This will be later in the day, though.

Edit: Well, I just realized I had to take a picture of me wearing my shirt, but it's late and I threw all my clothes off before remembering. Will do tomorrow.

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Blargh, and I thought Ranjeev was bad at taking pictures on time...
wink.gif
I'll try to take one when I get home today.

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
raising this from the dead, curious to see pictures...

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Jeopordy Theme Song.... Revival of a thread that never even got off the ground but should have

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This is a properly fitting shirt, posted without iammatt's permission but I'm cazy like that. Notice with his arms almsot extended there is very little excess fabric in the sleeves. The cuff end right at the beginning on the hand. The armhole begins a bit higher on the shoulder then some may like, but I like this style. Chest, waist, very little excess fabric yet nt constricting either. I like my shirts a smidgen tighter at the chest and waist, but those are just preferences. The most important thing to me, is no excess fabric sticking out of the waist of the pants. Clean all around the belt line. I wouldn't wear an open collar shirt, I only wear button down collar shirts in that casual manner, but matt is very street and he can get away with it. There is no such thing as a "perfect" shirt as everyone has individual preferences as to fit and what have you but if your shirts can look like this all the time, you've done well.

tod002largeoy3.jpg

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
This is a properly fitting shirt, posted without iammatt's permission but I'm cazy like that. Notice with his arms almsot extended there is very little excess fabric in the sleeves. The cuff end right at the beginning on the hand. The armhole begins a bit higher on the shoulder then some may like, but I like this style. Chest, waist, very little excess fabric yet nt constricting either. I like my shirts a smidgen tighter at the chest and waist, but those are just preferences. The most important thing to me, is no excess fabric sticking out of the waist of the pants. Clean all around the belt line.

my shirts tend to billow out at the back, not the front...do i just need to have a tailor take it in some more only in the back, or do i just need to tuck it in properly? it fits well all around other than the back bottom portion.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stickonatree
my shirts tend to billow out at the back, not the front...do i just need to have a tailor take it in some more only in the back, or do i just need to tuck it in properly? it fits well all around other than the back bottom portion.
In iammatt's pick, I would only prefer my sleeves a little longer and also the sleeve a little slimmer. What I do is turn my shirts inside out and then take the sides in and keep going all the way down the sleeve. Sometimes, this makes it too tight in the chest, so I will improvise a bit. If it still billows a little in the back, you can make darts in back to give the shirt a nicer contour. There shouldn't be any billowing in back, or bunching at the waistline.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
properly fitting is quite subjective.
Matt's shirt is constructed using a very expensive method. the armhole is very high, and the yoke is short and there is fullness at the top portion of the sleeve because it is set by hand. you can not walk into macy's and buy a shirt that will fit like this. You can't even walk into most custom shirtmakers and ask for this.

Stick. have a local tailor add some darts to the back. that will help.

Carl

hchamp

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shirtmaven
properly fitting is quite subjective.
Matt's shirt is constructed using a very expensive method. the armhole is very high, and the yoke is short and there is fullness at the top portion of the sleeve because it is set by hand. you can not walk into macy's and buy a shirt that will fit like this. You can't even walk into most custom shirtmakers and ask for this.

So you're saying the "expensive method" includes the "setting of the armholes by hand"?! Isn't this de rigueur for shirtmakers? Why wouldn't most shirtmakers be able to make this shirt?

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hchamp
So you're saying the "expensive method" includes the "setting of the armholes by hand"?! Isn't this de rigueur for shirtmakers? Why wouldn't most shirtmakers be able to make this shirt?

No and it is very easy to do wrong. I doubt you can get that type of yoke/armhole placement from a US shirtmaker, Shirtmaven will correct me if I am wrong.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.2%

Forum statistics

Threads