• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For ladies who enjoy a heavy civet note: Narcisse Noir, by Caron. In parfum. I think men can wear that one, too.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ivan Kipling
For ladies who enjoy a heavy civet note: Narcisse Noir, by Caron. In parfum. I think men can wear that one, too.

Whew, civet. You're a brave man, Ivan Kipling.
wink.gif

How do you feel about cumin notes in your fragrances, ala McQueen Kingdom, Montale greyland, some of Vivienne Westwood, etc.? Sometimes, they add spice, sometimes, they add an almost intolerable note of body odor.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cumin notes are okay by me, but not if they are included intentionally to be noticed. As you wrote, cumin can add fire to a fragrance that might otherwise be too calm. I'm pretty sure that Eau Sauvage contains a cumin note. I wore that, for twenty years.
Kingdom is an odd fragrance, to my nose. It's an upside down scent, with the heavy notes on top. The lighter elements are saved for drydown. Had the cumin been nestled more toward the bottom of the fragrance, perhaps I'd have been able to like it. Not so, as it is. Not familiar with the other scents you mentioned.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think you'd like Montale Greyland. It's subtle on the cumin and uses it to fire up a good deal of citrus and wood.

Most Vivienne scents you can avoid unless you want to smell like a 65 year old British woman who hasn't bathed since Maggie was PM. Anglomania is one exception (kind of like Dior Homme with Rose) but even it isn't anything spectacular.

I'm with you on Kingdom; it's one scent that I tried for months to appreciate and like but still it just turns my nose. I think mcQueen probably knows this and did it on purpose... Luckily, I swapped my bottle for a bottle of new Chanel Pour Monsieur and was pretty happy.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For a very nice, non-Goth, patchouli, Etro's Patchouly is a particularly rich and unusual scent. It's especially long-lasting and rich for an eau-de-cologne.

Many of the Westwood scents I've tried all seemed too powdery, like an old French whore.

dokelroth

Reaction score
Today I am wearing Acqua di Parma.

Now that it is owned by LVMH, has the quality stayed the same or gone down the tubes? Is there anything similar 'cause I really love it.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Many of the Westwood scents I've tried all seemed too powdery, like an old French whore.

Exactly! Or, to tell the truth, seeing pics of Vivienne herself, they strike me as something that would be vaguely reminiscent of her soiled linens...

As for Etro, I like what I've smelled. I use Sandalo regularly, but Etra Etro and Mahogany aren't bad either. I'll have to give Patchouly a spin (right now, it's hard for me to get away from my Montale Patchouli leaves)

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dokelroth

Now that it is owned by LVMH, has the quality stayed the same or gone down the tubes? Is there anything similar 'cause I really love it.

I have no idea if it has changed. I would be interested in that info as well. I still like it very much, but worry with all of the new products being added to the line.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Thomas and Label King might want to try Kublai Khan, from Serge & Lutens. Has to be experienced, to be believed.

Originally Posted by rach2jlc
Very true. For a weaker alternative (and cheaper) that pales in comparison but nevertheless gives some musky goodness, they may want to give Kiehl's Musk a try.

Heh, I'd heard about MKK, and it's Jekyll-and-Hyde qualities. Some say "light and powdery" while others describe a "horse's unwashed private parts". I know better than to try, though. I doubt I could stand walking around smelling "light and powdery".

Today, now that I've showered and shaved, it's New West, which is a ray of sharp light cutting thought the clouds in the sky, as well as my newfound congestion. Of course I'll be in tip-top shape for work tomorrow, damn it all.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another semi-spooky, enigmatic fragrance for those who enjoy the unusual: Etro, Messe de Minuit. I have the candle, and burn it when I don't want guests to stay too long.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have the candle, and burn it when I don't want guests to stay too long.

laugh.gif
I've actually done that, though not with a candle. When I was finishing my MA, I worked as a substitute teacher and if I didn't want the kids to get too close, I'd wear MPG Fraiche Badiane. God, they hated it. It was the best thing for keeping them away from me, in their seats, and quiet because otherwise I'd have to get up from my desk and get near them. The more adventurous in their group told me I smelled like "an old doctor's office" but nevertheless they said it quietly from far away.

I tried the same experiment this summer while in Japan. My friend's mother is the principal of a kindergarten and she invited me to come and "teach" once a week or when I had extra time, which mostly just involved me playing lego's with a bunch of cute five year olds. Anyway, turns out they also like to climb all over you and punch you in places the Good Lord never intended you to be punched. So, the second time I went back, I was armed and heavily spritzed with TDC Sel de Vetiver. I had a nice six-foot+ space cushion the entire morning and the kids kept whining to my friend's mom, "John-sensei stinks!"

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I have a custom perfume from Douglas Little:

www.dlcompany.com/

It smells like an Eastern Orthodox Church ceremony.

Sounds interesting; I've never tried him before and so may have to take a look.

The parfumer for Ayala Moriel, a small parfumery in Canada, is a member of Basenotes that I've gotten to know pretty well. She definitely doesn't work on a large scale, but she's very good at what she does and also very accessible and friendly. I think I sent her some Piper Nigrum once and in exchange she gave me a few goodies to try.

If you have specific ideas for a personal scent to try, I think she'd definitely be one who would be easy to work with and also financially accessible (I don't know what Little charges, but for something like Pecksniff's or Lorenzo Villoresi, you'd probably be looking at $1000 or more).

dokelroth

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dokelroth

Originally Posted by iammatt
I have no idea if it has changed. I would be interested in that info as well. I still like it very much, but worry with all of the new products being added to the line.

Bump for somebody who might have a clue to the answers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads