• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Neil Young

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Any fans?

"Out on the Weekend" is one of the only songs that make me really emotional every time.

nioh

Reaction score
Any fans? You're kidding, right? Rarely have I been as moved as the day I saw him perform, with Pearl Jam, Like a Hurricane. My favourite era of his is the 70's. Harvest, After the Gold Rush, Rust Never Sleeps.. All top quality albums.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nioh
Any fans? You're kidding, right? Rarely have I been as moved as the day I saw him perform, with Pearl Jam, Like a Hurricane.

My favourite era of his is the 70's. Harvest, After the Gold Rush, Rust Never Sleeps.. All top quality albums.

Yeah, they really are. I've never been a huge fan of the heavier Neil (Ragged Glory, etc.)...his softer stuff kills me.

I saw Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young perform last year. It was the single greatest day of my life.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Tonight's the Night is one of my top ten albums.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Totally.

One of my fav vids is he and Pearl Jam at one of the VMAs I think.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Zuma and Comes a Time, too.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
inlove.gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy
Zuma and Comes a Time, too.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
inlove.gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

I think Comes a Time is one of those "desert island" albums.

Neil's version of "Lotta Love" is so much better than the crappy covers that popped up after he released it.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the softer stuff, the harvesty things, is some ***** ass ****. What's great bout Neil Young is his hardness. His guitar solos are my number one of all time. They've got this minimal neanderthalic glory, like the guitar is less a genteel instrument than some blunt tool of expression (one crunchy note over and over for 15 bars? yes please!). I agree with Baron on Tonights the Night and would add On the Beach and even (you guessed it) Arc/Weld

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
In the 1980s I saw him twice, once with Crazy Horse and once it was just him, a 12 string, an harmonica, and a stool to sit on. Nothing else on stage.

I like Neil's music. I like Pearl Jam's music. I do not think I could stand the two of them together live as I might have to listen to two separate idiotic political screeds and that really is just not why I go to rock concerts.

His stuff I like best is probably from the 70s. Cinnamon Girl, Ohio, Southern Man, and my all time fav, Damage Done.

bachbeet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've liked Neil since BS. I always thought his songs in the group stood out as somehow different. That group spawned so many others. With these members: Stills, Richie Furay, Jim Messina (I believe one of the backup singers on Again was Kenny Loggins), Bruce Palmer (I believe Neil's Needle and the Damage Done is about Bruce), Dewey Martin. All very talented and all sang/wrote and were multi instrumentalists. Showed jazz influences (Stills' Everydays).

As for Neil, I've liked every album he's done, from the harder stuff to the quieter. In the late 80s, I read a story in the LA Times about his disabled child and Neil's reactions and strength and charitable acts. Shined a whole new light on the man. So, here goes:

"Oh, hello Mr. Soul, I dropped by to pick up a reason
For the thought that I caught that my head is the event of the season
Why in crowds just a trace of my face could seem so pleasin'
I'll cop out to the change, but a stranger is putting the tease on.

I was down on a frown when the messenger brought me a letter
I was raised by the praise of a fan who said I upset her
Any girl in the world could have easily known me better
She said, You're strange, but don't change, and I let her.

In a while will the smile on my face turn to plaster?
Stick around while the clown who is sick does the trick of disaster
For the race of my head and my face is moving much faster
Is it strange I should change? I don't know, why don't you ask her?"

quevola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
Totally.

One of my fav vids is he and Pearl Jam at one of the VMAs I think.

+1. Love Mr. Young's stuff with Pearl Jam and it doesn't get any better than "Rust Never Sleeps"!

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
I like his longer, more intricate stuff like Cowgirl in the Sand, the aforementioned Like a Hurricane, Broken Arrow, Down by the River, and my favorite Cortez the Killer.

Neil's one of my top 5 favorite artists...

dokelroth

Reaction score
The Damage Done is a mindblowingly good song. Rockin' in the Free World is much, much better than you realize.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steve B.
I like his longer, more intricate stuff like Cowgirl in the Sand, the aforementioned Like a Hurricane, Broken Arrow, Down by the River, and my favorite Cortez the Killer.

Add to that list

Winterlong
Powderfinger
When You Dance I can Really Love

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads