• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Interesting thrift find

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It was 1/2 off all clothes day at the local Goodwill due to some back-to-school sale. Spotted this really cool black waistcoat amongst a bunch of suits. Surprisingly, it actually fits! I'm 6'1 and 195lbs so a lot of vintage stuff doesn't fit me....so I was quite pleased. No moth holes, stains....nothing. Minor discoloration in the pits but no rips! The buttons have a cool leaf print on them. All the buttons are there and in great condtion. Black silk lining. The quality is amazing on this jacket! Came from J.Frank Burrows in Duluth, Minn. Dated Jan. 21, 1909. Paid $2.50 for it!
I like it a lot, but am not exactly sure what I'd want to wear it with. Of course a vest and a button-down shirt.....but I was thinking perhaps a pair of cream pinstriped trousers or some slim flat-front black trousers. What do you think?

PB170149.jpg

PB170150.jpg

PB170157.jpg
'

PB170158.jpg

CoryB

Reaction score
That is not a waistcoat it is a stroller. Nonetheless a cool find, but I'm not sure where one would find an chance to wear it save for a formal wedding.

mendel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CoryB
That is not a waistcoat it is a stroller. Nonetheless a cool find, but I'm not sure where one would find an chance to wear it save for a formal wedding.

Owning something like that is a great excuse to seek opportunities to wear it! Besides, someone on here recently mentioned that they were about to wear a stroller to their graduation (or matriculation?) ceremony.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CoryB

Ah. I'm not too familiar with pre 1920's dress. When and what for was a stroller worn? I thought it was a waistcoat because the front ends at the waist. Anyway, yeah.....I'm definately saving this for my wedding (I'm engaged, so I'm 1/2 way there).

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Uh...pardon me for butting in, but that's neither a waistcoat NOR a stroller. It is a formal tailcoat. For wearing with formal black trousers, formal winged collar shirt, white cotton waistcoat (a waistcoat is a vest), white bow tie and opera pumps. Best worn today to diplomatic receptions, debutente balls or state dinners. Looks very nice.

Edit: For more information on formal clothes and their uses, go here:
http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/T...DINGATTIRE.htm

or here:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=7058

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
Uh...pardon me for butting in, but that's neither a waistcoat NOR a stroller. It is a formal tailcoat. For wearing with formal black trousers, formal winged collar shirt, white cotton waistcoat, white bow tie and opera pumps. Best worn today to diplomatic receptions, debutente balls or state dinners. Looks very nice

Or on-stage for musical performances:

University Glee Club of New York

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very cool coat. Start going to lots of weddings.

Join a theater group. Do magic shows. Or get a job as a butler, and you could wear it every day.

When I worked odd catering jobs for big one-day paychecks in college, I found that it was much easier to work as the valet (and make tips) if I dressed appropriately. So I'd say you could also probably stand outside a very expensive restaurant and people, mistaking you for the valet, would hand you your car keys. You could get some nice cars. Or at least some decent tips.

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
magician sounds like the right job for the coat. the things we sacrifice for clothing!

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
Uh...pardon me for butting in, but that's neither a waistcoat NOR a stroller. It is a formal tailcoat. For wearing with formal black trousers, formal winged collar shirt, white cotton waistcoat (a waistcoat is a vest), white bow tie and opera pumps. Best worn today to diplomatic receptions, debutente balls or state dinners. Looks very nice.

Edit: For more information on formal clothes and their uses, go here:
http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/T...DINGATTIRE.htm

or here:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=7058

Or imminent weddings?..
tounge.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads