• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rhodes and Beckett - Australian Shirt Label

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm curious as to what fellow Antipodean members think of this brand. To my knowledge, it's mostly owned by the brothers who run Harrolds, and has taken over the Harrolds Shirt retail spaces.

However, the quality seems to be better, and I get the impression (from their marketing etc) that they are trying to be a direct competitor to Herringbone. Prices are about AUD$160, so cheaper than Herringbone, who are, it must be said, exorbitant (since moving their manufacture to Pakistan, especially!).

There's some guff on the website about buying an old English company, and their production in Egypt, which I assume is true.

226999-3%20B.jpg

I tried on this slim-fit banker shirt with a lilac striped body the other day, which was pretty nice. The cloth felt good, the fit was excellent (37cm collar!), and I was reluctant to spend the money, but I think I need to be less tight-fisted in general. Yes I might be able to get X on eBay or Y from Jantzen, but this kind of thinking has sucked the fun out of buying clothes, I'm sad to say! The buttons are cheap plastic, and it really detracts from the overall look. Can be easily replaced of course, but it's not a good sign from a supposedly luxury maker.

My questions are, does anyone own one, and if so, what do you think of it?

As an aside, they are doing a cheaper line called Boston Brothers (same company, I asked), seemingly for distribution only in Myer concessions. The merchandising, tags, etc are almost 100% identical to Herringbone.

Cheers,

Eden

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Eden,

Where did you see the Rhodes and Beckett shirts? In Brisbane or elsewhere in Australia?

I haven't seen one in the flesh, so to speak, but have heard of them from a couple of people, who seemed quite impressed by them. However, as those people think that terribly overpriced Herringbone is the apotheosis of shirting fashion, I took their opinions with a grain of salt.

As you say, it seems that they're aiming squarely at the Herringbone market. It does seem to me that if Tyrwhitt, TM Lewin, Harvie and Hudson and such brands had more visibility in the Australian market, then brands such as Herringbone and Rhodes and Beckett would be dead in the water. I'm attracted to the shirt that you posted above, but I can't help but think that for the money, I could almost purchase three TM Lewin shirts on sale - and I suspect that you're getting the same kind of shirting quality. The lack of quality shirts in Australia (well, at least Brisbane) and the hideous prices that you pay for something of mediocre quality, is quite depressing.

Anyway, I should apologise for being an interloper, as I've absolutely failed to answer your questions! I'd also be interested in hearing from anyone who has a Rhodes and Beckett shirt.

Cheers,
JH

neyus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Journeyman
Hi Eden,

Where did you see the Rhodes and Beckett shirts? In Brisbane or elsewhere in Australia?

I haven't seen one in the flesh, so to speak, but have heard of them from a couple of people, who seemed quite impressed by them. However, as those people think that terribly overpriced Herringbone is the apotheosis of shirting fashion, I took their opinions with a grain of salt.

As you say, it seems that they're aiming squarely at the Herringbone market. It does seem to me that if Tyrwhitt, TM Lewin, Harvie and Hudson and such brands had more visibility in the Australian market, then brands such as Herringbone and Rhodes and Beckett would be dead in the water. I'm attracted to the shirt that you posted above, but I can't help but think that for the money, I could almost purchase three TM Lewin shirts on sale - and I suspect that you're getting the same kind of shirting quality. The lack of quality shirts in Australia (well, at least Brisbane) and the hideous prices that you pay for something of mediocre quality, is quite depressing.

Anyway, I should apologise for being an interloper, as I've absolutely failed to answer your questions! I'd also be interested in hearing from anyone who has a Rhodes and Beckett shirt.

Cheers,
JH

JM,

Rhodes & Beckett are available at Myer Queen St, Brisbane and Chermside stores though their concept store, within the mens department.

I think you're right about the lack of TM and company. Herringbone and Rhodes and Beckett have merely exploited this fact. Actually I hear Charles Tyrwhitt is also made in Egypt. I know they are often mentioned here and on other fora mainly due to their low price on sale.

Rhodes & Beckett also offer some fairly nice suits (also made in egypt) which are slightly cheaper than Herringbone (made in malta) but offer non key shaped lapel buttonholes and canvas construction.

I think you should check them out next time you're in Myer.

Neyus

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I snapped up a lot of Harrolds shirts last year when they were selling up. Rhodes and Beckett were taking over all of their old outlets, and the stock had to go, because the new owners would not be able to sell anything with the Harrolds label.

That leads me to conclude that they are not owned by the owners of Harrolds. The staff at the shops were pretty clear that they were being taken over by new owners.

Harrolds Shirts used to be made in Egypt, and it's my understanding that R&B are just the suppliers that Harrolds used to buy from.

I've never been very interested becuase they are just the same stuff that Harrolds Shirts used to sell. It was always overpriced, and it still is. I still wear my Harrolds shirts, but I have others that I far prefer.

schanop

Reaction score
I bought five under Harolds label for about AUS$50 each during the hand over last year. At that price, they were a steal to me. But at, AUS$160 full price, because the fit is just ok on me, I opt to go to see Charles Nahkle instead for a much much better fit, a vast selection of fabric, and a style that you can design. However, fitwise, those Harolds shirts that I bought are better fit on me compared with Herring Bone's shirts that I have tried but never bought. Actually, they've been the best fitting shirt bought off the rack compared with other local brand RTW shirts I've purchased within Australia.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
R&B are on the ground floor of Myers and upstairs . They look very nice and seem to be the takeover from my favourite Myers purchase on sale - the Mastai Ferrettis - a great shirt. R&B certianly look well made and Egyptian cotton is the best but the price.....

neyus

Reaction score
Yeah Mastai Ferreti's were great when Myer had them. I preferred it when they had the removable collar stays. But they were always worth it when they were on sale.

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I can't attest to the ownership of Rhodes & Beckett but I am aware that they are Melbourne based and as such their designs are supposed to be less 'look at me' than Herringbone (which is Sydney based).

I don't own any Rhodes & Beckett shirts but I did purchase a couple of ties a few weeks back and have been rather disappointed with them. They don't use a particularly heavy silk and so they are difficult to tie unlike some of the other ties that I own...

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked up the above shirt at 25% off at Myer today - so $120.

I don't think that amount is too much really, maybe I *could* have gotten more for the money on, say, eBay, but the fit would almost certainly have been worse (the 37cm collar and short arms in particular work well for me!).

I don't overly like the look of their ties - the salesman made a perfunctory attempt to "upsell" me on one, but I was unfussed.

I also tried the jacket of one of their suits - it appears to be canvassed, and quite a good fit and fabric. I didn't like the colour much on any of them, but at about $600 on special, it wouldn't break the bank.

I'll post some shots of the lilac--or as their website describes it, muave (sic.)--as soon as I get the chance.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a gander at the Rhodes and Beckett concession in Myer today, and I also had the chance to look at one of the dedicated R&B stores when I was in Sydney last week.

As False Prophet said, the buttons are a bit of a disappointment (especially at that price, but it's par for the course in Australia), but the cut is quite nice, and is not at all blousy even in the regular cut. Although they have regular and slim-cut shirts, seemingly in most or all patterns, they don't seem to have a variety of sleeve lengths. Fortunately, the sleeves suit me pretty well.

I also had a look at the suits, and they seemed quite nice, too. As noted above, they have a floating canvas chestpiece and lapels and the fabric is quite pleasant to the touch.

Whilst I'd feel guilty buying at full price, I guess that their products aren't too bad at 25% off. The sale ends on Sunday, 2nd September.

**Whilst we're on the subject of Australian shirt makers, is anyone here (particularly Melbourne members) acquainted with MCM Studio? I didn't pay too attention to them last time I was in Melbourne (which was a couple of years ago), but I seem to recall that their shirts are actually Australian-made, which is quite an oddity nowadays. Does anyone know if that's still the case, or if their shirts are even reasonable quality?

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I went into Myers Sydney the other day and the girl told me the shirts were actually made in Egypt. Don't take my word for it ask her - she is probably the best looking girl in Myers - suppose that's why the have her on the R&B stall.
lol8[1].gif

Re MCM.

I thrifted one in Vinnies the other day and took it home and washed it. Italian fabric. The manufacture was not crash hot (neck a touch tight for the tagged size) but the material in the shirt was wonderful to wear. I really like the shirt.

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Brisbane R&B concession is also replete with "talent", I find.

I felt that the regular fit was a little big for me, not just in the body (which can easily be darted), but also the upper arms, and even the cuffs were a bit looser.

The collar is glorious, and were they to introduce an MTM program, I would be very interested.

The other thing that strikes me is that they really need to focus on doing broadcloth/voile, and less of the awful trendy "sateen" stripe twill thing...

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The False Prophet
The Brisbane R&B concession is also replete with "talent", I find.

I felt that the regular fit was a little big for me, not just in the body (which can easily be darted), but also the upper arms, and even the cuffs were a bit looser.

The collar is glorious, and were they to introduce an MTM program, I would be very interested.

The other thing that strikes me is that they really need to focus on doing broadcloth/voile, and less of the awful trendy "sateen" stripe twill thing...

You right they were all UK style shirts where the shirt is the thing not the tie....

timmo

Reaction score
G'day. Must be an R&B strategy, cause the Melbourne Myer sales staff were easy on the eyeballs last time I was there. And the view & service was excellent at the Melbourne Central store... she actually offered to iron the shirt - handy to remember if you have an shirting emergency prior to an important meeting.

Sator mentioned somewhere in a thread that the shirts were worth about $17 wholesale... however, No matter... I have a few of them - bought at a deep discount of $40 each, most recently when the rialto/collins st store closed up.

They have a long / slim fit which suits me well. They seem to be holding up well, although I sometimes get a strange pinching on my neck from the collar - haven't quite figured out what's going on there. Overall though, on sale, I think they're worth it, but definately overpriced at full retail.

Tim.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads