• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good tailor in Vancouver?

ozonemania

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheHoff
I was going to start a Vancouver Sales Thread but I figured that would be dead quick so I'll just post here. I browsed the Harry Rosen and Holt Renfrew summer sales in Vancouver. Abso...lutely....nothing.......interesting..........

Ok a few slight temptations:

Holt -- everything up to 40% off. Which usually meant 10-20% on most things. Charvet ties down to $124. Yay.

The new Ralph Lauren store was as lifeless as before. The only RLPL gear I saw were socks.

Canali had a few nice suits in the sales racks. Some nice fabrics in normal sizes at $1100... which all considered is a pretty good deal for Vancouver.

Harry Rosen -- Summer sale as well but about the same story. The shoe selection is still better since Holt's actually managed to get worse when they moved. Rosen had just a few Canali shoes on sale and no AE's. Nothing caught my eye except for one Canali that only had one size -- a burnt brown derby in sz 8 -- only one available at $399 down from 5 something. Obviously not a great deal but I'm trying to find something positive.

The Bay -- 20% off Ray-Bans, my only purchase today
plain.gif

You weren't looking hard enough. Ralph Lauren has two boutiques in Holt... one is sportswear and there is a separate sartorial shop next to MTM with all RLPL and Black Label.

I was there last week though and sadly they have no new fall stock. They still have some of the sale stuff there (60% off!) too bad they didn't have anything in my size. I asked the staff there about it and they said that the RLPL deliveries were late yet again.

You are right though about the shoe selection at Holt. It is not as good as it was before. I'm hoping that will change. I hate buying shoes and I dislike even more buying boring shoes.

On topic re: tailors, has anyone tried Olympia Tailors? http://www.olympiatailors.com/ . They are located on Hastings and Nanaimo. I took one of my suits there for fitting by referral and I was impressed with the recommendations they made and the work they did. I haven't tried anything else with them but I wanted to see if there were any other opinions on this business.

Awesome that there is an active Vancouver sartorial thread. I think it is part of our moral duty to up the style quotient of this city.

TheHoff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey, welcome to StyleForum! There are quite a few Vancouverites and Canadians here and we're glad to have another.

Originally Posted by ozonemania
You weren't looking hard enough. Ralph Lauren has two boutiques in Holt... one is sportswear and there is a separate sartorial shop next to MTM with all RLPL and Black Label.

You're right -- I found it on my second visit. That was the best addition they made in the renovation.

You are right though about the shoe selection at Holt. It is not as good as it was before. I'm hoping that will change. I hate buying shoes and I dislike even more buying boring shoes.
If you know your sizes, keep checking the Buy/Sell forum here. You'll find lots of good deals on Ferragamo Tramezzas, Santoni Fatte a Manos, Purple Labels, and other great shoes. I don't even bother looking locally any more.

On topic re: tailors, has anyone tried Olympia Tailors? http://www.olympiatailors.com/ . They are located on Hastings and Nanaimo. I took one of my suits there for fitting by referral and I was impressed with the recommendations they made and the work they did. I haven't tried anything else with them but I wanted to see if there were any other opinions on this business.
Thanks for the recommendation. There is still one I haven't tried within walking distance (downtown) but Olympia would be a quick cab fare.

I've actually been using (OH NO) an 'alterations / dry cleaner' lately. Fast Iron on Pender near Burrard -- the owner has turned out to be quite good. Obviously you won't get anything bespoke there but she has taken in jackets, done sleeves properly, etc. I trust her now with just about any sort of alteration. She is funny though; she won't do something she doesn't think is right (cuffs bigger than 1.5" and things like that). The turn-around is very quick and she will do things on the spot if you ask.

Fabro

Reaction score
Does anyone have a dry cleaner recommendation for shirts downtown? I've been using Tuesdays on 4th, which I really like, but is way out of my way now that they don't pick up in my office building anymore. I'm looking for someone you would trust your Borrellis to (yeah, I know should do them myself...).

TheHoff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you want your shirts laundered and pressed or dry cleaned?

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fabro
Does anyone have a dry cleaner recommendation for shirts downtown? I've been using Tuesdays on 4th, which I really like, but is way out of my way now that they don't pick up in my office building anymore. I'm looking for someone you would trust your Borrellis to (yeah, I know should do them myself...).
Not downtown, but Fletcher's on the corner of Broadway and Arbutus is, hands down, the best and safest dry cleaner in Vancouver in my opinion. I wouldn't take anything of real value (like a good suit or sports jacket) anywhere else.

Fabro

Reaction score
Do you want your shirts laundered and pressed or dry cleaned?

Just laundered and pressed.

Viktri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roger
Just an update about my experiences with Oakridge Tailors. I've had them do two alterations jobs for me now: (a) the work on the lightweight raincoat that I mentioned in a previous thread (taking the sides to provide a little waist suppression and sleeve-shortening) and (b) some work on a new Cucinelli corduroy sports jacket. On the latter, I had Joy take in the shoulders about 1/2" on each side, shorten the sleeves (after the shoulder work had been done and I came in for a fitting), and convert the sleeve buttons to working buttons. For the shoulder work, the sleeves had to come off. All the work I had done--on both garments--has been fine. I asked Joy about tightening the neck opening a little (to prevent the collar from sitting too far out at the back when I bent certain ways), and she confessed that she couldn't figure out a way to do this. This was disappointing, as I've had Tony Arletto and Frank at Minichiello's do this on sports jackets, although the jacket doesn't really need this that much. After wearing it, and if it looks as if it really needs this, I'll take it to Frank some time I'm over in North Van. Since there is no seam in the collar (on any of my jackets), I must confess I haven't a clue how this is done.

In any case, at this point I'm cautiously optimistic about Oakridge Tailors (East side of Cambie between 39th and 40th, with parking out the back) for less-challenging alterations work. I think they'd be just fine for all trousers alterations like cuffing, taking in the waist, slimming the legs, etc., and most of the standard jacket alterations. As I mentioned earlier, Joy was evidently trained in Paris in a five-year tailoring program there. One nice touch: she's very eager to please and isn't (yet!) as dogmatic as many tailors seem to get!

Did you go to Joy with the measurements ready or did you have her measure you and help to determine the areas needed to be altered?

TheHoff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fabro
Just laundered and pressed.

I checked with Fast Iron and she sends the laundry and dry cleaning out, so sorry, I don't have a recommendation. I do my shirt laundry myself on Sundays while watching a mindless movie.

TheHoff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know this is so off-topic but we don't warrant a Vancouver Sales thread...

SALES FINALE!!! THIS WEEKEND ONLY!

All SHOES, SANDALS, BOOTS are being blown out at $20 a pair. Plus all MEN's and WOMEN's designer on MAJOR CLEARANCE! All clothing no more then $50!!!! It's bananas!

When: Saturday September 8th 11-6pm and Sunday September 9th 12-5pm.

Where: next door to Lord's at 2928 Granville Street

Why: its a SILLY SUMMER SALE FINALE (all sales final)

My wife is horribly excited. Lord's is probably the best women's independent shoe store in the area; they also have lots of interesting, often one-off, pieces from local designers. Their typical women's shoes range from $80 to $400; no idea what is on sale, but it should be a good deal for some.

TheHoff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
WINNERS: You should go?

If you like Armani, I suppose. I hadn't been in Winners in about a month when I walked in yesterday to pick up some hangers and kitchen gear (new Boos Block for $30!). Surprisingly, they had redone nearly the entire men's side. They also had a large shipment of goods in -- I figured I'd post here on the off chance someone would be interested.

Fair selection of Armani clubbing shirts... some Hugo Boss sweaters including half-zips... and then a rack of maybe 20 Armani Collezione suits in solids -- charcoal, navy, and what looked like black. The AC suits were $1200! HAH. Sweaters were fair but relatively uninteresting. Anyway, take a look if you're bored.

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Viktri
Did you go to Joy with the measurements ready or did you have her measure you and help to determine the areas needed to be altered?
Viktri, sorry I missed this post. I did have some idea of what the measurements should be, but she did her own measuring too, and we tweaked my measurements based on her superior ones. I also sought her opinion on my thoughts about alteration and felt that she had good ideas about style and line, and that I could trust her suggestions in this area.

Viktri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply Roger,

I did get some alterations done there and they were well done - nothing complicated just the simple stuff: shortening sleeves, shortening coat, reducing the circumference of the pant legs, etc and it was done well.

rkw5000

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roger
I would think that any shirtmaker could do this; actually, probably any seamstress. You could try Julie Minichiello in North Van who's overseen two new shirt projects for me. Your shirt would probably just go out to their shirtmaking shop and be altered by one of the seamstresses in that shop. I don't imagine the cost would be high, since it's a pretty straightforward job.

I had Minichiello make me a striped shirt and their pattern matching was excellent and the fit was very good for a first attempt. I did not like the buttons. For my next shirt I would buy the MOP buttons I wanted from this forum and then take them to Julie.

I have had pants made by Minichiello (Zegna Trofeo) at half the price of the Zegna store where I purchase a fair amount of stuff.

rkw5000

Reaction score
Speaking of the Zegna store. I have Pino do some outside tailoring work for me and it is excellent. He retired but now works a couple of days a week and will do stuff on the side.

Fabro

Reaction score
WINNERS: You should go?

If you like Armani, I suppose. I hadn't been in Winners in about a month when I walked in yesterday to pick up some hangers and kitchen gear (new Boos Block for $30!). Surprisingly, they had redone nearly the entire men's side. They also had a large shipment of goods in -- I figured I'd post here on the off chance someone would be interested.

Fair selection of Armani clubbing shirts... some Hugo Boss sweaters including half-zips... and then a rack of maybe 20 Armani Collezione suits in solids -- charcoal, navy, and what looked like black. The AC suits were $1200! HAH. Sweaters were fair but relatively uninteresting. Anyway, take a look if you're bored.

This city is so disappointing. Thank God we have Styleforum Buying & Selling.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads