• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe Damage Report & Appreciation Central - Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
At least centimeters. He does sell nice stuff.
Including tight pants

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
That's your opinion. Styleforum would have 137 posts in total if people stopped commenting on clothes or shoes they have not handled in person. So thanks for the "suggestion" but I'll pass and continue to comment on pictures.

You may continue to sound stupid and unfounded then.

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some C&J Tetburys I ordered from PLAL a few weeks ago and had forwarded on to my hotel while I was traveling... wish I had photos of my JL Chapels, but they're at home on the back-up drive:

sysdoc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roikins
Some C&J Tetburys I ordered from PLAL a few weeks ago and had forwarded on to my hotel while I was traveling... wish I had photos of my JL Chapels, but they're at home on the back-up drive:
Tetbury in Dark Brown Antique Nubuck
uhoh.gif
Those are corrected grain, I'm afraid.
confused.gif

dokelroth

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sysdoc
uhoh.gif
confused.gif

Huh? What does that even mean? They look nice to me.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dokelroth
Huh? What does that even mean? They look nice to me.

It means that the leather used is low qualilty, and is sanded and scraped smooth, bathed in chemicals, and then pressed through rollers to give the surface some consistency. This results in a plasticy looking finish.

FWIW, I don't think those boots are corrected grain. At least, they don't look like it to me. For one thing, you can see the grain. For another, they are not shiney enough to be corrected grain.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sysdoc
uhoh.gif

confused.gif

I don't think so. I think this has already been discussed in another thread, but I believe that it's something akin to the reverse calf you see in some Vass shoes.

dokelroth

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RIDER
They are not corrected grain.

Of course, I have never heard of Antiqued Nubuck before either....and ever seen a smooth calf described that way. Different hemisphere, I guess.

I don't get it. If they are not low quality, why did he basically say "your shoes suck!?" He seemed pretty sure about it, and from the pictures it looks like he has hundreds of shoes. Are you sure?

NKT

Reaction score
I have the same shoes, both in brown and black, and after many alcoholic drink-spills on the browns they've certainly developed a nice antique-ish look
laugh.gif

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
Nice shoes Roikins.

How long they'll stay that way, I can't say. I ordered them when I realized I'd need some winter beaters for my recent move from the west coast to DC.
smile.gif

As for being corrected or not, I couldn't say, unless there's something specific I should be looking for to find out. They're not terribly glossy looking in person, out of the box.

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Found a few photos on the laptop that were hidden away of the Chapels that I got a few months ago, but no real Appreciation shots since I was in a hurry to wear them
smile.gif

When my G&G MTOs come in, I'll be sure to take my time to get more shoe Appreciation photos of those though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads