• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe Damage Report & Appreciation Central - Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Degendorff

Reaction score
GetSmart, Iammatt, A Harris: 100% agree

The Budapest last is intended for country wear and worn this way for at least a hundred years. One should know their traditional german-austrian-hungarian origin before one judges. Maybe it's delicate to wear them together with a suit, but it's perfect with tweeds, cords, moleskins and certainly jeans.
Or you wear it with a traditional southern german or austrian garb:

fjnc3.png

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kolecho
Those who have not handled or tried a pair of Budapester should not comment negatively based on a scan or two. I was converted when I saw a pair in the flesh.

That's your opinion. Styleforum would have 137 posts in total if people stopped commenting on clothes or shoes they have not handled in person. So thanks for the "suggestion" but I'll pass and continue to comment on pictures.

Now, I personally have handled Vass Budapester shoes multiple times - and I still don't get it.

Contrary to what has been mentioned in the posts above, it seems that SF goes through cycles (like everything and everyone) and has been moving away from a preference towards chiseled sleek toes, and towards rounder, more classic lasts (there has been many posts and threads to that effect). Last year, everyone was raving and drooling over U and 888 lasts, now it's all about F and 82. That's fine with me. To each his own. But liking Budapester is hardly a matter of whether you're aligned with the SF "norm" or consensus, it's simply a matter of taste and wearability of such shoes in your own environment or work place.

As A Harris said, this design divides people - many love them, many don't.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Do you need them? Why not hold out for EGs?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
Do you need them? Why not hold out for EGs?

They'll nicely compliment the two pair of Shannons, the St. Crispin's austerity brogue bal boot and the Martregani shell cord wintip boot that I have on order.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Have you ever known me to hold out for anything?
blush.gif

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
+1. They really are fabulous shoes with a ton of style. They are not the norm, and they are not sleek, but in my book they blow doors off of most shoes that people go nuts for on this site and AAAC. I do not wear them because they are comfortable, I wear them because the aesthetics of the Budapester kick ass.

I think people who wear Budapesters have penis issues.

I find the Norweger a better looking ass-kicker shoe.

GS, why didn't you get the TB version??

I have seen and handled the Budapester, I just find it too bulky and wide and bulbous. I had a pair of old Florsheims that were Budapester-like and my mother forced me to wear them to parochial school and maybe that is why I hate them.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy
Have you ever known me to hold out for anything?
blush.gif

I just read a lot of comments on the Craigslust scandal on Wonkette so I better not say anything...

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Styleforum would have 137 posts in total if people stopped commenting on clothes or shoes they've only handled in person. So thanks for the "suggestion" but I'll pass and continue to comment on pictures.
+1. Sorry folks some of us just don't dig the gunboat last. I just don't find it elegant enough.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
I think people who wear Budapesters have penis issues.

I find the Norweger a better looking ass-kicker shoe.

GS, why didn't you get the TB version??

I have seen and handled the Budapester, I just find it too bulky and wide and bulbous. I had a pair of old Florsheims that were Budapester-like and my mother forced me to wear them to parochial school and maybe that is why I hate them.

-re: point 1, not all of us can be size 10+ shoe/penis

-agree the Norweger is a **** looking bootparty shoe

-
plain.gif
remember Ed, the name adds to the price, not the value
laugh.gif

-For it's bulk and bulbosity, the Budapester has really nice lines. But yea, it's a shoe design that inspires strong feelings one way, or the other

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Sorry, I always forget how "talented" I am
blush.gif
If it makes you feel better, flaccid it's only about 6-7.

With or without wide stance?

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kolecho
Those who have not handled or tried a pair of Budapester should not comment negatively based on a scan or two. I was converted when I saw a pair in the flesh.

I have seen them, handled them and tried them on. They didn't make any better impression in person than on the screen. I'm delighted you guys like them and I'm not trying to take away your enjoyment. They may be a traditional shape, they may have a history, etc. They still look like clogs to my eyes. If you poked holes in the toe box, they'd almost look like crocs.

Sorry, I'll stop now. I started only to inject a contrarian point of view into the Budapester love-fest. I have no interest in trading shoe insults. GDL is right, IMO, that these things go through cycles around here. People satisfy their jones for chisel-toes, and round-toe lasts become the it-girl of the moment. Now we have people extolling Dinkelackers and Budapesters. Wear them in good health.

But think about your Budapesters next time you call some noob's shoes "inelegant."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads