• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stylish jacket and/or layering for the freezing cold?

Torec_Scrail

Reaction score
Well, I live in Winnipeg, affectionately called by some winterpeg.. It can get to like, -50 with the windchill sometimes. Cold doesn't bother me TOO bad, my jacket isn't that heavy, and there's usually a hoodie underneath. Anyone have some good recommendations? What are some things you guys wear to stay warm?

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thick socks, boots, a good wool beanie (wool watch cap from ebay, cheap and looks good), gloves and layers! tee/thermal/shirt/cardigan/hoodie with a parka or something ontop... and thick scarves!

BrettChaotix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm way down south in Baltimore, MD but we have our fair share of 10-20 degree days too...

Layers, layers, layers!!! including a tshirt tucked into my pants under whatever untucked buttondown or sweather I'm wearing. I zip-up hoodie under the coat helps.

I only started wearing scarves this past winter but they help so much I don't think I'll ever stop again!

I have gloves but I bought a pair of grey fingerless hunting gloves from a surplus store for $12. I wear them under my coat because they go up past my wrists and are awesome and keeping the wind/cold out!

I jack my socks up high too, I try to wear only really long socks on the windy days to keep the cold from running up my pants leg :)

PS - Say hi to Propagandhi for me!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

denning

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Torec, I'm in Winnipeg too. I have a couple of different coats for winter, one double breasted and calf length wool coat, one single breasted and calf length cashmere coat, and a wool one that's mid thigh length. Those are what I wear primarily. I stay away from the usual ski jackets and parkas you see on most people.

For me the key is not necessarily the coat, because like you menioned with your hoodie, you can layer for extra warmth, but I find the key to be wearing scarves. Big thick scarves because I find that the cold gets in through the neck more so than anywhere else. Also, you don't need to go out and get a Canada Goose down parka because even when it gets to -50 you are only dashing from inside to your car (which hopefully has a remote starter), then from your car back inside again. That being said, in Winnipeg fashion falls second to function once the temperature gets below -25. Whatever you do be wise, as I'm sure you've experienced frostbite is not fun.

PS. Longjohns, thermal underwear, long underwear, whatever you want to call them are your friends.

op2

Reaction score
It really depends if you are aiming for style.
Some people layer beyond belief for winter, and while yes it may be warm, it looks horrible. Inversely, some people pull it off amazingly, and are true trend setters. Why not go for both? Instead of wearing the same jacket every day, stick with layering for a few days.

I've always been a fan of the hoodie + jacket.. depending how it is pulled off.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by op2
Some people layer beyond belief for winter, and while yes it may be warm, it looks horrible. Inversely, some people pull it off amazingly, and are true trend setters. Why not go for both?

wait, be a trend setter and look horrible?
confused.gif

hchamp

Reaction score
If you want to look trendy in the cold you gotta start with the layers that no-one will see. Wear a thin wool or synthetic long sleeve tee against your skin. This will trap body heat where it's being generated and keep you nice and toasty. Then add whatever stylish layers you want on top. (You can get the undershirts at REI or any sports or running shop.)

This year, I'm thinking of adding a down vest to go with my jean jackets, sweaters, and even sportcoats to extend their use.

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was Baltimore compared to Winnipeg earlier?
wink.gif

Anyhow, I think sometimes you just need to bit the bullet and go for practicality. I have a down jacket that sometimes just needs to be worn, who care what you look like on that -35 day.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think a scarf is key. So much heat lost at the neck opening. and it's stylish.

also, personally I skip style when it comes to gloves, I get plain black 100% windproof ones (windstopper). Makes a big difference.

Mr Sola

Reaction score
60-70% of your body heat is lost through your head. Keep it covered (preferably something wool, because wool will keep you warm even if it's wet).

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Torec_Scrail
What are some things you guys wear to stay warm?

I live in Texas. Do you want my advice?
teacha.gif

keykoo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hey i used to live in texas too and those 3 or 4 days that it dips below freezing are killer!

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I usually wear a couple shirts (layer a thin undershirt, then usually a button down), followed by a wool Peacoat and a scarf. It can be a bit chilly around my legs sometimes but I get by, by staying inside the few days a year that (w/ windchill) it gets below -40F in Spokane.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
It just depends on where I am.

I am from Oklahoma, and so i don't struggle with cold too much here. I can usually wear a flannel western and a dickies Eisenhower coat and be just fine.

When i was farther north in Nebraska I just layered and wore a navy issue peacoat.

I personally don't like scarves much, i just turned up my collar if it got windy. I guess to some turning up your collar invokes images of the fratfucks who pop the collar of their polo... but sobeit, like i said i don't much care for scarves.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Forum statistics

Threads