• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Blancpain ranking

Don Goldstein

Reaction score
Where does Blancpain rank? Is it in the same league as Vacheron or Audemars?

dave

Reaction score
I love them. they make some of the most classic designs available nowadays. Personally, I would put them on par with JLC and Breguet and the like. Maybe a notch below the big three but that's just me.

Mute

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Blancpain makes beautiful watches. They don't have the history of a PP or AP but I wouldn't complain about owning one.

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dave
I love them. they make some of the most classic designs available nowadays. Personally, I would put them on par with JLC and Breguet and the like. Maybe a notch below the big three but that's just me.

They, like Breguet, were revived during the 80s as a "luxury watch" company. They make extensive use of F.Piguet movements in their chronographs, as does Breguet in the XX and XXI, and rank below JLC with regards to innovation. Designs are classic and favor a dressier aesthetic. I like the Villeret series though I prefer the older 37mm sized pieces for proper proportions.

Definitely a step below the Big Three (and A.Lange & Sohne).

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In the old days, Blancpain was considered a decidely mid-tier brand, nothing very special.

It didn't have the technical cachet of Omega nor the gravitas of the Big Three--Patek, Vacheron, Audemars--or the luxury of some minor makers like C.H.Meylan, Haas Neveux.

shoefan

Reaction score
No, not considered a peer of Patek, Audemars and Vacheron.

Probably in the next rank, although IMO not really quite equal to JLC or perhaps Breguet (Breguet and Blancpain are owned by the same , and I think Breguet is positioned in their marketing strategy a bit higher than Blancpain, though whether this translates into quality or marketplace perception is a different thing.) Certainly, Blancpains do not retain their value when compared to Patek or Lange, for example. They do, however, have some very elegant, simple designs.

Their motto is somthing like "We've never made a quartz watch, and we never will." Truth be told, this is because Blancpain was essentially a dormant brand during the rise of quartz watches and was revived in order to lend credibility to a line of mechanical watches during the '80's. It was probably the first really successful example of this strategy. Nowdays, there are all sorts of brands that attempt to trade on the name of a historical watchmaking company.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Personally, I'm a big fan of BP, but they aren't Patek, Lange, VC or AP; although, to be fair, Lange is a complete revival brand, but luckily they have been able to pull it off better than anyone else. They are about the same level as, JLC (as mentioned, they are less innovative, because of their interrupted history and lack of long term technical development).

I think of BP as a wildcard, something akin to GP and Breguet: very old names that have really been given a push in the late 90's in order to revive the brand to its former glory, regardless if that glory is justified or merely nostalgia.

Jon.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
It is a revival brand, how many vintage Lange watches are there from the 50’s or 60’s?
Of course I would never want to debate watch topics with you Jon but the above is a bit of an over-simplification since Lange was merged with other Glashutte watchmakers into VEB GUB during the denazification process in East Germany. VEB GUB produced watches through the cold war in the Lange factory (some pretty crappy watches for sure...). After the fall of the wall in '89, VEB GUB split back into the original brands, including Lange & S. (bought by Richemont) and Glashutte Original (baught by Swatch).

I think that's (somewhat) historically correct...

So there are no Lange from the 50s and 60s because at that time it was consolidated into GUB - a little bit of a different story from the many watchmakers who failed and disappeared during the quartz revolution, to then re-appear when some investor acquires the defunct brand to revive it.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Of course I would never want to debate watch topics with you Jon but the above is a bit of an over-simplification since Lange was merged with other Glashutte watchmakers into GUB during the denazification process in East Germany. GUB produced watches through the cold war in the Lange factory (some pretty crappy watches for sure...). After the fall of the wall in '89, GUB split back into the original brands, including Lange & S. (bought by Richemont) and Glashutte Original (baught by Swatch).

I think that's (somewhat) historically correct...

So there are no Lange from the 50s and 60s because at that time it was consolidated into GUB - a little bit of a different story from the many watchmakers who failed and disappeared during the quartz revolution, to then re-appear when some investor acquired the defunct brand to revive it.

In other words: There were no Lange watches, as we know them, in its entirety (In other words as a competitor to Patek) during the 50’s or 60’s. Thanks for agreeing.

Jon.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
In other words: There were no Lange watches, as we know them, in its entirety (In other words as a competitor to Patek) during the 50’s or 60’s. Thanks for agreeing.
You're welcome. I do agree - they were not sold under the Lange brand. I also wanted to add some color as it's not your typical "revival" story

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads