• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buying replica watches?

masqueofhastur

Reaction score
If you can't find a hommage and you like the design, then I think it's reasonable, but otherwise there's no point.

Viktri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Didn't feel like starting a new thread.

I'm looking to buy a vintage omega, something very simple, around $100-200 off of ebay and I'm wondering if most of them are fake or real watches. I'm not very good at valuing watches (I have zero experience) and was wondering if people fake $100 vintages often or not.

I've used the omega site to check if they were authentic and many times most details check out except for the measurements.

http://www.omegawatches.com/cu_vintage/main.php

All the sellers have numerous 100% ratings, for example

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...MEWA:IT&ih=005
and

are by the same seller and I can't help but think these are fakes

this one
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...MEWA:IT&ih=014
seems to check out (although the dial and crystal have been replaced)

so while they seem real, the $100-150 price tag makes me think they're fake since they don't exactly match up (although it could be errors in measurement)

Holstein Bilter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hobo
Your statement is based on the assumption that people only buy expensive things as status symbols to flash at other people and impress them. This is more a reflection of you and the reasons why you do things than anything else.

As I mentioned previously, I would have no reservation in confessing that my watch was a knockoff of a watch that costs tens of thousands of dollars. I simply am not going to spend tens of thousands of dollars on a watch.

If I were to do this, unlike you, I would be buying the watches because I like the style and design, not because I want to impress someone with how much it costs. And if I were to impress someone, I would hope it was because they thought it looked good. Or I could even impress them with how good a fake it is (assuming I would be able to find such a thing).

Furthermore, as you say, Seiko and Citizen both make good watches, and I'm satisfied with the quality of the timepieces I have, and if I were to purchase an imitation watch, I would want it to be of comparable quality. Having heard stories about how good the imitations are these days, I believe that this is possible. How would a person go about finding good quality imitations of watches that cost as much as cars?

I say..have fun w/it. If it's for fun, then get a replica. Who gives a crap if it's fake? If you like it, and you want to be outrageous then do so!

Also celebrities themselves just like to wear it for the fun factor. IN fact, most of the time, they wear fakes when out in public anyway. The diamonds and watches are replicas.

If you can afford the real or get a replica...the common theme is that you're doing it for fun.

I have real watches and fake ones. I intermix them and enjoy them all the same.
I actually prefer the replicas at times because I don't have to worry about them, and if they break..then no big deal. My more expensive watches..I am so cautious that it defeats the purpose. I don't get to enjoy it for what it is.

IF you are taking it more seriously than that...then therein lies the problem and the true vanity of it all.

Personally..watches/jewelry are toys. Real or not.

I take suits/shoes way more seriously.

ANd presentation matters a lot.

My suit. shoes, tie, shirt, belt, cufflinks are all VERY REAL. To accent it w/a replica watch makes it all the more real. I could careless if people think of it as fake or not. It's more telling that they're looking THAT CLOSELY than realized.

sophiamin

Reaction score
Maybe you can buy from this online store,all of their products are mirror image from the original one.Cause i had bought a pair of sunglasses from there.The quality is very good,and the price are reasonable.
Attention,i am not spam here ,if you wanna know the website you can send me a private message.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow. The most inane post I've seen on SF, no doubt.
worship.gif

Originally Posted by Holstein Bilter
I say..have fun w/it. If it's for fun, then get a replica. Who gives a crap if it's fake? If you like it, and you want to be outrageous then do so!

Also celebrities themselves just like to wear it for the fun factor. IN fact, most of the time, they wear fakes when out in public anyway. The diamonds and watches are replicas.

If you can afford the real or get a replica...the common theme is that you're doing it for fun.

I actually prefer the replicas at times because I don't have to worry about them, and if they break..then no big deal. My more expensive watches..I am so cautious that it defeats the purpose. I don't get to enjoy it for what it is.

IF you are taking it more seriously than that...then therein lies the problem and the true vanity of it all.

My suit. shoes, tie, shirt, belt, cufflinks are all VERY REAL. To accent it w/a replica watch makes it all the more real. I could careless if people think of it as fake or not. It's more telling that they're looking THAT CLOSELY than realized.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by P3R3
Replicas should be reserved for only the most vain individuals.
They are

Originally Posted by whacked
worship.gif

Yep. Maybe not #1 but top 10 material

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
I dont understand when did "fake rip-offs" became "replica watches". They are what they are- counterfeits.

There are a lot of good watches out there dictated by your budget. Even the "Seikos and Citizens" have watches that are highly raved by WIS. And another thing: even if you think that the circle you're in won't recognize an expensive watch, I don't think it would be far off for them to realize the disparity between your income and the price of an expensive Swiss watch. Besides, wearing a fake is all about fooling yourself.

I agree completely. I guess it is just the latent Catholic in me that would feel far too guilty and self-conscious with a fake and so wouldn't do it.

In general, I agree with those who have said it is a matter of personal pride/taste. Very few people will look closely enough and would probably feel it rude to grab your wrist and inspect your timepiece unless you invite them to do so, so the idea that "nobody is going to know" really doesnt' hold water for me. YOU will know... which is why I wouldn't do it.

For me, a beautiful timepiece or a timepiece that you really like is not about the price but about the way it makes you feel to wear it. A fake watch sort of ruins all of that... even if it is a very good fake.

As for quality, Seiko and such are excellent for the price. I have a Seiko that I wear sometimes as a sports/leisure watch that has been working without a hitch for 10 or 15 years. I doubt a fake Patek or Rolex would quite be the same. As such, if you have less than $300-500 to spend, I would recommend getting a Seiko or something at that level. The styling will still be good, as will the quality, and you'll have something that will hold up while you sock some money away for your next watch (and, like my Seiko, will still be running and available as a second/third watch after you've bought the watch you really want.)

Finally, there are some very good Swiss watches that are still rather affordable (in the grand scheme of things). Oris, for example, makes nice watches at good prices... I have a TT1 day/date whose retail was less than $1500 and has held up well while having excellent styling.

In short, I would say do your homework and find a nice (real) watch in your pricerange and leave the Patek or the Rolex until you can afford it. Look at it as something to build up to; not something to get right out of the gate. I can't afford the A. Lange und Sohne I want... so I'm content to wait until I can with lesser, but still nice, watches. Fake is fake... regardless of replica or any other euphemism you wish to call it.

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that Viktri's post suggests a good--and affordable--alternative to a replica watch. Authentic vintage Omega watches are very plentiful on eBay and typically go for something less than $200. (I'm defining "vintage" here as more than 20 years old, not the way horological purists would--pre 1960s.) I've purchased a couple of really nice quartz Seamasters from the late 70s or early 80s that way. (It's important to ensure that the dial is clean and as pristine as possible.) I've then taken them to my local Omega dealer and certified repair shop and had them restored. This has cost me another $200 or so (Omega has a standard restoration service). For that amount, they've been cleaned up and serviced, had the battery and some parts of the movement replaced, and had a sapphire crystal installed. While the movements were being serviced, I got some jewelers' polishing cloths and rouge and polished (removing all the tiny wear scratches) the case, crown, and back. When the watches were re-assembled, they looked new.

I like many of the vintage designs as well as, or better than, the more recent designs, and think that they look great after restoration. As for time-keeping performance, these Swiss quartz movements gain approximately 1 - 1 1/4 sec. per week, or about 5 sec. per month--just far, far better than the very best automatics, many of which gain or lose 5 sec. per day.

So, at the end of the day, you can have a restored and beautiful authentic Omega watch for something on the order of $400, and this watch will keep extremely good time and will continue to do so for many, many years. That would be my recommendation.

Holstein Bilter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
worship.gif

Admit it. You were just looking for a time to use the word "inane" =)
Glad I could help

Holstein Bilter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
I agree completely. I guess it is just the latent Catholic in me that would feel far too guilty and self-conscious with a fake and so wouldn't do it.

In general, I agree with those who have said it is a matter of personal pride/taste. Very few people will look closely enough and would probably feel it rude to grab your wrist and inspect your timepiece unless you invite them to do so, so the idea that "nobody is going to know" really doesnt' hold water for me. YOU will know... which is why I wouldn't do it.

For me, a beautiful timepiece or a timepiece that you really like is not about the price but about the way it makes you feel to wear it. A fake watch sort of ruins all of that... even if it is a very good fake.

As for quality, Seiko and such are excellent for the price. I have a Seiko that I wear sometimes as a sports/leisure watch that has been working without a hitch for 10 or 15 years. I doubt a fake Patek or Rolex would quite be the same. As such, if you have less than $300-500 to spend, I would recommend getting a Seiko or something at that level. The styling will still be good, as will the quality, and you'll have something that will hold up while you sock some money away for your next watch (and, like my Seiko, will still be running and available as a second/third watch after you've bought the watch you really want.)

Finally, there are some very good Swiss watches that are still rather affordable (in the grand scheme of things). Oris, for example, makes nice watches at good prices... I have a TT1 day/date whose retail was less than $1500 and has held up well while having excellent styling.

In short, I would say do your homework and find a nice (real) watch in your pricerange and leave the Patek or the Rolex until you can afford it. Look at it as something to build up to; not something to get right out of the gate. I can't afford the A. Lange und Sohne I want... so I'm content to wait until I can with lesser, but still nice, watches. Fake is fake... regardless of replica or any other euphemism you wish to call it.

My brother bought me a real rolex datejust for christmas. I have a replica "FAKE" rolex that my buddy picked up while in China as well.

HONESTLY...I CANNOT feel/notice any difference.
My replica is exact in every way. The only difference is the color of the bezel.
Weight, second hand, band etc..are indistinguishable.

Even my brother in law could not tell the difference w/his own real one and the replica "fake". EVEN STILL...he would opt for the real one. That's perfectly fine. It's personal preference. Me personally..I intermix them, and find no problem with it.

I just don't buy into the "well I KNOW it's fake" principle.
The vanity lies in "worrying" to yourself about "if this is fake..what does this make me". My self worth has no bearing on what the value of my accessories are.

It's a toy.
Whether it's a 50 dollar cheap toy..or a 50 thousand dollar authentic toy..they are both TOYS.

If you treat them more than that...then that is really where the vanity is.

If you want to talk about VANITY...I have a REAL breitling navitimer w/a full diamond bezel that I wore to Hollywood's Katana lounge Sat night. A few of the guys there couldn't take their eyes off it. From what I could tell..they were some hip hop guys wearing some sort of Jacob watch.

Rest assured, had I worn my fake rolex Sat night..I would've received similar responses...ITS ALL ILLUSION.

I don't oogle over other people's possessions. It's fine for them to do so, but that's again..where the real vanity lies.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^ stop advocating the purchase of counterfeit goods please. Your arguments are stupid (at best) and unethical too. No need to cram so much inanity in one long post like this. Fake people wear fake stuff. That's pretty much it. No need to post all this stuff to make yourself feel better that you are contributing to the robbery of intellectual property, that you are disrespecting one of the oldest crafts still alive, and that you are calling "toys" the product of dozens of hours of skilled and hard work from these craftsmen

prestigious-fake-tee-2.jpg

Holstein Bilter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
^^^ stop advocating the purchase of counterfeit goods please. Your arguments are stupid (at best) and unethical too. No need to cram so much inanity in one long post like this. Fake people wear fake stuff. That's pretty much it. No need to post all this stuff to make yourself feel better that you are contributing to the robbery of intellectual property, that you are disrespecting one of the oldest crafts still alive, and that you are calling "toys" the product of dozens of hours of skilled and hard work from these craftsmen
prestigious-fake-tee-2.jpg

I didn't advocate anything. I said it's personal preference and other people's choice. I'm not going to tell them what to do. I just referenced that I could not tell any difference between them. Speaking of intelletual property and ethics..I think you should hand over all those mp3s you have downloaded. EVEN the ones you "borrowed" from your friends collection. Cars are also toys..and they are a time honored skill and craft as well. Some of the most wealthy people in the world..consider their possessions "TOYS." The word TOY is not a term of demeaning the craft by any means. The word TOY is in reference to how serious the person who wears it..values THEMSELVES according to it. For you to think that's disrespectul is real idiocy. And finally..Calm down fella...everyone can speak how they want w/out you as the arbitor of what is right. If you're so angry about it being unethical..spew that back at the OP or any other person you consider an "ADVOCATE".

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Viktri
Didn't feel like starting a new thread.

I'm looking to buy a vintage omega, something very simple, around $100-200 off of ebay and I'm wondering if most of them are fake or real watches. I'm not very good at valuing watches (I have zero experience) and was wondering if people fake $100 vintages often or not.

I've used the omega site to check if they were authentic and many times most details check out except for the measurements.

http://www.omegawatches.com/cu_vintage/main.php

All the sellers have numerous 100% ratings, for example

and

are by the same seller and I can't help but think these are fakes

this one
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...MEWA:IT&ih=014
seems to check out (although the dial and crystal have been replaced)

so while they seem real, the $100-150 price tag makes me think they're fake since they don't exactly match up (although it could be errors in measurement)

I have a small vintage Omega collection, but am not by any means an "expert". However, just looking at the links you posted, they all look like authentic Omega movements and cases to me. It's pretty clear that some of the dials have been repainted. Nothing particularly wrong with that if you like the look of it. It makes the watch fairly worthless to a collector, but then these aren't necessarily collectors pieces anyway.

My main concern is your fixation on the price. If you buy one of these watches you should budget an extra $200-$300 to have the movement reworked by a watchmaker to put it in condition as an every day wearer. The reason that these folks can sell these watches this cheaply is because they've gotten them cheaply, repainted the dials (cheaply) to get them in salable condition and then done some fairly basic cleaning and oiling to make sure that they will run for at least some time after you get them. As long as you understand what you're buying, you can get a good deal (relative to the quality of the timepiece you're buying), but I've rarely bought a watch on Ebay that didn't require some work.

Specific to these watches I'd be concerned about all the rust residue on the gear train. If there's rust residue where you can see it, there's likely rust where you can't see it. Also the 2nd one has the timing regulator moved all the way to the slowest setting ("R" for marsupial). This would be a warning signal for me.

On the plus side, it looks like these watches are real and the prices mean that it's not the end of the world if they don't run great for very long. If you can find a competent watchmaker they might be able to keep it running for you, however parts on these watches are increasingly difficult to source.

On the negative side, the movements aren't the cleanest I've seen.

JMHO.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Holstein Bilter

Celebrities wear fake?! Care to share some insights on this?

And if you don't care about REAL or FAKE watches, then why care at all about REAL suits, shoes, ties, shirts, belts & cufflinks? In a way, they're also in the same category as what you describe as "toys". So why pay top dollar on say, real Gucci loafers when there are decently made rip-offs of them around? Your buddy can get those in China as well.

Besides, I believe most people do care if they're playing with fake toys or not. I wouldn't play with fake Transformers of G.I. Joe toys myself.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads