• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jantzen, Reliable at last?

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kali77
LOL
laugh.gif

The last sentence I believe hit's the nail on the head in the case of Jantzen. Not needing right away, that is. I think at this point, for me it is fun ordering and then one day...Boom a nice package from HK arrives.

Agreed. Christmas in August! Brightens up the work day.
smile.gif

water

Reaction score
This sort of stuff pisses me off. Not only does it take forever for some people to get their shirts, but Ricky doesn't seem to use any sort of queue. Why have I not received my shirt ordered in January but you get yours in one month? I know it's part of the Jantzen experience, but I would love to learn the method behind the madness.
I agree completely. I ordered in March, asked for the shirt to be ready for June (for an event). I have e-mailed frequently, called and been hung up on, called and been told "right away", but still nothing.

Of course, I would say there is no method to the madness. Utter chaos is my guess. One could probably write a dissertation on chaos theory with Jantzen as a principle application.

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ricky came through for me after 1 email:
Sorry for late reply, I got your shirt order on 13th Auguest,2007. Will send asap! Thanks,
smile.gif

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
what is their new address - I will be in in hong kong next week, and planed on getting some clothes.

maxnharry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I received an email from Ricky this weekend to inform that they were in receipt of my order and asked for a second fabric choice as my original was out of stock. I post this as it hasn't happen often and is hopefully a sign of improving customer service.

Will let you know when the shirts arrive.

Stereojeff

Reaction score
I also received an email from Ricky yesterday stating that he'd received my faxed order for two shirts and both fabrics were out of stock. He included a link to the latest fabrics. I selected two and emailed my choices. I've received two shirts previously. The first took 5 months. The second 17 days. Obviously, I prefer the latter.

Jeff

water

Reaction score
My credit card was charged late last week, which is hopefully a sign that my shirt is on the way. It took quite a while, so I really hope it turns out well.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
See my reply in the HK tailors price thread.

If I read them correctly (and someone has mentioned this before) the internet/online service was really set up for pre-existing customers who were leaving HK at the time of the handover. They have their measurements on record and are happy to proceed with those with minor adjustments etc. They seem a bit anxious about many 'fresh' internet customers, citing odd measurements. They mentioned that they were concerned about the customer satisfaction in these cases.

They are moving to new premises 19th September. I went last week to place an order for an Australian forumite and they were ready to be picked up after 72 hours, though I didn't get to the shop until a few days later. My own shirt order was fine.

I'm not sure how the new premises (much much much bigger) will translate to more reliable/quicker/better online services if it's just a bigger shop front and not the actual manufacturing.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chobochobo
See my reply in the HK tailors price thread.

If I read them correctly (and someone has mentioned this before) the internet/online service was really set up for pre-existing customers who were leaving HK at the time of the handover. They have their measurements on record and are happy to proceed with those with minor adjustments etc. They seem a bit anxious about many 'fresh' internet customers, citing odd measurements. They mentioned that they were concerned about the customer satisfaction in these cases.

They are moving to new premises 19th September. I went last week to place an order for an Australian forumite and they were ready to be picked up after 72 hours, though I didn't get to the shop until a few days later. My own shirt order was fine.

I'm not sure how the new premises (much much much bigger) will translate to more reliable/quicker/better online services if it's just a bigger shop front and not the actual manufacturing.

I suspect the new store will make online service worse - larger premises will generate more in-store orders that Ricky will process with greater priority than his online backlog.

There really is no excuse for how he is treating people who have been loyal online customers. Endorsements of his online service are what led me to visit his shop when I was in HK instead of the vast number of alternatives. One channel benefits from the other, and losing your reputation in one channel hurts the other.

If he doesn't want to service online customers, he should shut down his website and send emails to all people with unfilled orders giving them the option of backing out.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by California Dreamer
I suspect the new store will make online service worse - larger premises will generate more in-store orders that Ricky will process with greater priority than his online backlog.

There really is no excuse for how he is treating people who have been loyal online customers. Endorsements of his online service are what led me to visit his shop when I was in HK instead of the vast number of alternatives. One channel benefits from the other, and losing your reputation in one channel hurts the other.

If he doesn't want to service online customers, he should shut down his website and send emails to all people with unfilled orders giving them the option of backing out.

While I agree with you on what the standard of service should be, what do you think most of the people who've chimed in on this thread would rather have: spotty, unreliable, perpetually tardy Jantzen or no Jantzen at all?

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian278
While I agree with you on what the standard of service should be, what do you think most of the people who've chimed in on this thread would rather have: spotty, unreliable, perpetually tardy Jantzen or no Jantzen at all?

It would particularly be a shame if he shut down the interent business for all the people who have spent time and money getting their shirts right. Of course if he wanted to stop taking new internet customers, I might be ok with that
devil.gif

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brian I can't answer for "most people", but I've come to the conclusion that I'd rather have no Jantzen at all. I need at least a minimum amount of predictability when I spend my money.

Bear in mind that, while an individual Jantzen may be cheap, when you order multiples it gets into the hundreds pretty quick. I expect a fair bit when I am spending amounts like that with a vendor.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I suspect that they're going to be busier than ever. I was there on a Friday afternoon and there were already four people in the shop, one trying on a jacket, two getting measured up for shirts and one picking up shirts (a bag of 8 or so) and then there was me.

Like it or not, the internet side is always going to take a back seat to their on site business, which keeps them busy, and they feel far more in control.

wpeters

Reaction score
I just received my Jantzen order on August 23. I placed a re-order (years-long internet customer) in April, and never got a response. On the advise of other forumites, I reordered with materials from http://www.jantzentailor.com/latestmaterial3.htm on July 15. Not a bad turn around. Looks like Ricky has been blasting through internet orders this month.

scot

Reaction score
I placed my first order in november... nothing. multiple follow ups etc. Finally found a faxing service in hong kong and send them over another request that way.

Took another week and as of this weekend they sent me a confirmation with one last question about the order. Woo! Haven't been billed yet, but hopefully it is coming soon.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads