• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thoughts on Land Rover (2000-2002)

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Matt is I guess the second person who had a positive experience.

Beckwith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I drove one from 98-05 with very little trouble. At least it is a car with a soul. The new ones are not.

How so? While the new LR3
inlove.gif
was ford desinged and has a jaguar engine, the car is still to its roots of being an off road monster. I have yet to try that, but in the dealership short track, the car is impressive. I guess the bottom line is that it is in the luxury SUV market, but maintains the off road capabilities that you are not going to try with your BMW!

greg_atlanta

Reaction score
Originally Posted by VMan
I have an Explorer now and have been happy with it. 115k miles, no repairs needed. Have had it for 5+ years.

Then why are you getting rid of it? Need something more uppity? If it doesn't fit your image, get the windows tinted.

High mileage alone is a bad reason to get rid of a car. It's much cheaper to keep it and do more proactive maintenance (meaning take it to a shop for a full inspection and fix stuff before it breaks, also change all fluids including transmission, differential, coolant, brake fluid, etc.).

Fabro

Reaction score
If snow is a real concern buy a Subaru. I have a 4WD SUV and my wife has an Impreza. If we're going into the mountains in the snow, I will pick the Subaru everytime and safely glide past all the SUVs in the ditch. Nothing like a nice, steep, snowy decent to make you appreciate low centre of gravity and a manual transmission...

Buy the SUV if you need the space. Or if you're really going offroad, a jeep or landcruiser.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
My friend has one and it always seemed really squeaky/creeky.

SoulPatcher

Reaction score
Probably a brake pad issue.

This week I'll get to test drive the new Caravan, I can't wait. I'll check back with you guys with feedback. I'm really interested in seeing how much space is in the back with the swivel seating.

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you get a 2002 Land Rover you will soon come to cheer each day that it gets you to your destination without a tow.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoulPatcher
Probably a brake pad issue.

This week I'll get to test drive the new Caravan, I can't wait. I'll check back with you guys with feedback. I'm really interested in seeing how much space is in the back with the swivel seating.

You have to be a family man, because there is no way the average guy gets excited about test driving mini-vans.

The irony lies in the fact that since I'm now a family man, I am interested in knowing how the test drive goes. It's a sad day when I go from checking out sportscars, GT's and ,muscle cars...to mini-vans, crossovers and estate wagons.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Wife just got an ML 550 (her Xmas present). She loves it. I'm impressed by it. I had my mind 100% made up when my current LX lease was up to go get the new model LX (has that great Tundra engine in it!) but after a few weeks with the Mercedes, I might go check out the GL. I heard the original generation M Class had some problems but this thing is flawless.

Mustapha

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fabro
If snow is a real concern buy a Subaru. I have a 4WD SUV and my wife has an Impreza. If we're going into the mountains in the snow, I will pick the Subaru everytime and safely glide past all the SUVs in the ditch. Nothing like a nice, steep, snowy decent to make you appreciate low centre of gravity and a manual transmission...

Buy the SUV if you need the space. Or if you're really going offroad, a jeep or landcruiser.

I doubt that the OP is looking for this kind of functionality. Land Rover folks are looking at image as a big, perhaps major part of the experience. Folks can disagree but this is from personal observation. LRover owners feel free to whale on me.
blush.gif

I own a Subaru Forester and like you it is the best car I've owned for my purposes. Unfortunately Subies are the car equivalent of Mountain Co-Op wear.
tounge.gif

-Moose

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Beckwith
boxing[1].gif

What are you currently driving?

Audi S6 and it takes care of most of my space needs and is awd. I liked the ride of the Disco as I am a believer in that if you get a truck, it should drive and feel like a truck.

Originally Posted by Southern-Nupe
You have to be a family man, because there is no way the average guy gets excited about test driving mini-vans.

The irony lies in the fact that since I'm now a family man, I am interested in knowing how the test drive goes. It's a sad day when I go from checking out sportscars, GT's and ,muscle cars...to mini-vans, crossovers and estate wagons.

I like that you were about to make fun of him for getting excited about a minivan (and rightfully so) but then admitted that you are looking forward to his review
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics