• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Beer Thread

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dusty
Slight derail: I had my first IPA the other day, Goose Island's, and the pungency of the spices nearly knocked me down. It was like drinking a glass of potpourri. Are all IPA's like this?

The signature of an IPA is a high concentration of hops, which most likely accounts for the "pungency of spices" that you smelled and tasted. India Pale Ales were originally shipped from Britain to India during its period of colonialization. They were brewed with a lot of hops, because hops acted as a preservative so the ale would survive the long trip. I love IPA's, particularly in the summer. They are full bodied, but crisp.

To me, the best IPA's have a strong hoppy flavor, but also find a good balance between the hops and the malt. When push comes to shove, however, I'd rather have more hops than malt. Harpoon is one of my favorite IPA's. A lot of folks put forth the Dogfish Head 90 minute IPA as the gold standard, but I found it a bit too malty for my taste. There were a lot of hops, but the malt was still the overwhelming flavor. I see from the Dogfish Head website that the 90 Minute IPA is 9% alcohol by volume, which no doubt accounts for the big malty flavor. As I stated above, I generally don't like beers with big malty flavors (Pete's Wicked Ale was really popular a few years ago, but I couldn't stand it due to all of the malt). I'm going to try the Dogfish Head 60 minute IPA to see if I like it better. I'll probably give the 90 minute another go, too. I've never had Goose Island, so I can't offer an opinion.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JBZ
The signature of an IPA is a high concentration of hops, which most likely accounts for the "pungency of spices" that you smelled and tasted. India Pale Ales were originally shipped from Britain to India during its period of colonialization. They were brewed with a lot of hops, because hops acted as a preservative so the ale would survive the long trip. I love IPA's, particularly in the summer. They are full bodied, but crisp.

To me, the best IPA's have a strong hoppy flavor, but also find a good balance between the hops and the malt. When push comes to shove, however, I'd rather have more hops than malt. Harpoon is one of my favorite IPA's. A lot of folks put forth the Dogfish Head 90 minute IPA as the gold standard, but I found it a bit too malty for my taste. There were a lot of hops, but the malt was still the overwhelming flavor. I see from the Dogfish Head website that the 90 Minute IPA is 9% alcohol by volume, which no doubt accounts for the big malty flavor. As I stated above, I generally don't like beers with big malty flavors (Pete's Wicked Ale was really popular a few years ago, but I couldn't stand it due to all of the malt). I'm going to try the Dogfish Head 60 minute IPA to see if I like it better. I'll probably give the 90 minute another go, too. I've never had Goose Island, so I can't offer an opinion.

You could also look for a 120-Minute, though if the 9% alcohol in the 90-minute was a troubling than a 20% alcohol 120-minute certainly won't give you any break in that area. I'm not particularly fond of the 60-minute myself. How do you feel about Stoudt's Double IPA?

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian278
You could also look for a 120-Minute, though if the 9% alcohol in the 90-minute was a troubling than a 20% alcohol 120-minute certainly won't give you any break in that area. I'm not particularly fond of the 60-minute myself. How do you feel about Stoudt's Double IPA?

20% alcohol is certainly impressive, and hard to do well. Most of the high alcohol content beers I've tried just lose their balance and taste too strongly of alcohol in my experience. I imagine you're right that I wouldn't like it, as I'm sure there is a lot of malt. However, I'm always open to new things when it comes to beer. Obviously, it isn't one to chug.
smile.gif

Why don't you like the 60 minute? Too weak on the hops?

I've never had the Stoudt's Double IPA, but I'll add it to my list. Given the name, I'm assuming a high alcohol content, correct? I'm generally behind on my beer tasting these days (kids will do that to you, unfortunately). I haven't had any IPA's regularly other than the Harpoon in quite some time.

Surprisingly (at least I was surprised, since it's a chain), I've found John Harvard's IPA to be pretty good.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JBZ
20% alcohol is certainly impressive, and hard to do well. Most of the high alcohol content beers I've tried just lose their balance and taste too strongly of alcohol in my experience. I imagine you're right that I wouldn't like it, as I'm sure there is a lot of malt. However, I'm always open to new things when it comes to beer. Obviously, it isn't one to chug.
smile.gif
Why don't you like the 60 minute? Too weak on the hops? I've never had the Stoudt's Double IPA, but I'll add it to my list. Given the name, I'm assuming a high alcohol content, correct? I'm generally behind on my beer tasting these days (kids will do that to you, unfortunately). I haven't had any IPA's regularly other than the Harpoon in quite some time. Surprisingly (at least I was surprised, since it's a chain), I've found John Harvard's IPA to be pretty good.

I believe Stoudt's is in the 8-9% range. Not as malty as a 90-minute, the Double IPA is pure hops. I love the maltier, sweeter, almost citrus-laced flavor of a 90-minute myself. A lot of Dogfish Head's stuff is more sweet than the original styles they draw from, they like to get experimental with the flavors they include (raisins, peach, apricot, raspberry, etc.) and as such you get a lot of flavor, though some (as you likely do) find it a bit cloying.The 60-minutes just tastes flat compared to a lot of other IPAs IMO and the basic flavor doesn't really do anything for me. I would recommend Stoudt's over it any day, especially if you like a more bitter IPA. I'm also fond of Rogue's Imperial IPA (comes in a really cool, and heavy, big grey bottle) if you can find it.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian278
I would recommend Stoudt's over it any day, especially if you like a more bitter IPA.

I will give it a try. Thanks.

graphix

Reaction score
lately ive been a hop hound...its almost addicting. every time i feel like ive reached hop nirvana i find something just a bit more intense. Ive been enjoying the Stone Double IPA, Arrogant Bastard Ale, Hopdevil...

my biggest disappointment was a beer called Hop Hazard that was barely anything more than a pale ale...

Nello3

Reaction score
My regular beer is Peroni Nastro Azzurro. If I am going out with my old college buddies we go slumming and get Coors Light or Miller Light...in the can.

Brad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For all of you hops fanatics (myself included), Anderson Valley Hop 'Ottin is a really good, extremely hoppy IPA.

Mblova

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nello3
My regular beer is Peroni Nastro Azzurro. If I am going out with my old college buddies we go slumming and get Coors Light or Miller Light...in the can.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Your on styleforum now too...... hahahahahahaha

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brad
For all of you hops fanatics (myself included), Anderson Valley Hop 'Ottin is a really good, extremely hoppy IPA.

Also try Hopawallop.

It's Franziskaner for me.

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brad
The Weissbier?

That's often my first choice. I also like the Paulaner weiss. I've only tried other Franziskaner types a few times, because only a few places stock them.

Brad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ken
That's often my first choice. I also like the Paulaner weiss. I've only tried other Franziskaner types a few times, because only a few places stock them.

I often go for the Franziskaner Weiss as well. Paulaner is also an excellent choice. Around these parts, finding either one on tap is very rare.

Being from Chicago you must have access to some really good brews on tap, namely: Three Floyd's.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads