• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

(Old) Ask a Question, Get an Answer - please ask all quick questions here

Status
Not open for further replies.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
To answer your question simply; yes, girls like well dressed men.

As for jeans looking disgusting, different strokes for different folks sir.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is seems like as good a place as any: Has anyone heard anyone use the word 'trad' outside of the forum? I went to use it the other today to describe the Brooks Bros.-centric wardrobe of one of my friends and stopped myself at the risk of have explain the other world that is SF. Simply one "Yes, they used it independent of me mentioning it" from the crowd will avow for its existance outside of here.

hchamp

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
????

What jeans were disgusting looking? I'm really curious. Link pics or something.

You don't need to wash your jeans every day or even every week. It's just common sense. Wash them when they get dirty and smell. If they don't, wear it again. How often would you dry clean a suit? After every few wears? No, when the situation calls for it. There is a chance you may be on the wrong forum, at least for fashion. I don't mean that in an offensive way, but it's just something to think of. I have had my Pure Blue Japan jeans since about march and i haven't washed them yet. I don't wear them every day but a few days a week and they don't smell or look dirty or call for washing. Also, what is the "do young girls get off on this look" comment about? Have you read this forum in the past month you've been here? There have been about 2-3 threads about this subject and the general consensus is that a majority of style forum members in the sw&d section dress for themselves and more as a hobby and not for what "young girls" are looking to get off too. I don't know what to tell you. If you want the brooks brothers jeans, then just buy them, but don't expect anyone online or in real life to be all that interested.

Maybe re-read your own thread
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=41307
If you still don't understand, just don't worry about it. Not everyone has to be into denim.

I followed the link you supplied. One guy said he'd worn the same pair of jeans "everyday for four months" and posted pictures to prove it. And prove it he did! They looked quite grungy.

If you guys are taking offense then you are taking this wrong. I am asking because I am curious. I don't wear my jeans every day for four months without once washing them, and if I did I wouldn't be posting pictures to show the world. So naturally I'm wondering why someone would do this and what the appeal is.

And the question about the appeal to the opposite sex is legit. Whether we like to admit it to ourselves, we do try to dress to impress. So once again - do chicks really dig dirty jeans?

hchamp

Reaction score
????

What jeans were disgusting looking? I'm really curious. Link pics or something.

http://supertalk.superfuture.com/showthread.php?t=20161

For example, in message 5, he posts pictures of grungy jeans that have made the "coveted weekend pair" status! Then in msg 13 he talks about wearing a pair "everyday for 4 months" and posts a picture (thankfully!) after the first wash. The other jeans on this page seem OK, especially the darker washes. But this is just the first page of your link...

Btw, I will take your not so subtle suggestion that I don't "belong on this board" because I don't share your taste in jeans as the normal product of an overzealous adolescent temperament. I was also somewhat intolerant when I was your age.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Seriously, post links to the exact pictures where they look dirty. Have you ever wore a pair of jeans like these for a month or two without washing? How do you know that they are really dirty and smelly? I don't know if you've read anything on this site before but the thing with the "raw/rigid/dry/unwashed" jeans are that as you wear them in, they form wear marks on them that the jeans at the mall try to imitate. However, these whiskers/honeycombs/fading are all natural and unique to you, which drive some people to wear raw jeans or at least that's how this trend has started.

Also, girls i know could care less about the subtleties of my jeans. They couldn't tell the difference between natural vs. predistressed fading and the nicer denim. Also, most people on these fora prefer to have at least a pair of jeans that stay nice and dark.

Still man, just don't worry about it. It's not taking offense, but it's really obvious after your previoius thread where you openly stated that you didn't understand this forum's jean preferences, that you still do not. Forcing people to back up their beliefs by semi-insulting them isn't really the best method either. I wouldn't ask you why you want brooks brothers jeans by saying "what's the reason with wanting a pair of high rise, ugly fitting old man jeans? are you really that afraid of what people think or just like to be boring?". We don't all dress to impress other people contrary to what you think, and you can read 2-3 threads in the past month to learn more about the forum mentality on that subject as well.

edit: Nevermind, i just read your new message with the ol' "I'm older and therefore more mature. And because you have different preferences and taste than me i defend my own beliefs by making those of others seem less than desirable." Intolerant indeed. I'll speak on behalf of the forum and say you're welcome for all the help, advice and links people have offered to you to try and help you understand.

neato torpedo

Reaction score
Can someone answer this soon please.

Ordered some shirts from AA on the 16th, and still haven't arrived. I checked tracking number and twice it said, "
\tIncorrect address - Zip/Postal code " I checked the address I sent AA and it appears correct. I have no idea what to do. Could I call post office and try and pick it up or contact AA. Never had this happen before
patch[1].gif

chronoaug

Reaction score
I would contact AA through email (although i hear their customer service is terrible. Also, just call the post office and try to speak to a operator. If you explain your situation and give them your tracking numer, they may be able to give you more information. I had a shipping problem a week or two ago and the post office was pretty helpful. Just try both options and see what happens. Good luck.

hchamp

Reaction score
Seriously, post links to the exact pictures where they look dirty. Have you ever wore a pair of jeans like these for a month or two without washing? How do you know that they are really dirty and smelly? I don't know if you've read anything on this site before but the thing with the "raw/rigid/dry/unwashed" jeans are that as you wear them in, they form wear marks on them that the jeans at the mall try to imitate. However, these whiskers/honeycombs/fading are all natural and unique to you, which drive some people to wear raw jeans or at least that's how this trend has started.

Also, girls i know could care less about the subtleties of my jeans. They couldn't tell the difference between natural vs. predistressed fading and the nicer denim. Also, most people on these fora prefer to have at least a pair of jeans that stay nice and dark.

Still man, just don't worry about it. It's not taking offense, but it's really obvious after your previoius thread where you openly stated that you didn't understand this forum's jean preferences, that you still do not. Forcing people to back up their beliefs by semi-insulting them isn't really the best method either. I wouldn't ask you why you want brooks brothers jeans by saying "what's the reason with wanting a pair of high rise, ugly fitting old man jeans? are you really that afraid of what people think or just like to be boring?". We don't all dress to impress other people contrary to what you think, and you can read 2-3 threads in the past month to learn more about the forum mentality on that subject as well.

edit: Nevermind, i just read your new message with the ol' "I'm older and therefore more mature. And because you have different preferences and taste than me i defend my own beliefs by making those of others seem less than desirable." Intolerant indeed. I'll speak on behalf of the forum and say you're welcome for all the help, advice and links people have offered to you to try and help you understand.

You're being defensive and insinuating motives to me that I don't have. I have freely admitted that I don't understand this board's preference in jeans. That's why I've asked questions. I regret people have chosen to interpret my questions as some kind of "attack" on these preferences. Frankly, I can't see how they can be interpreted that way.

And you can't know this at your age, but as you get older you also lighten up and are not so quick to see things in black and white. I'm just stating that as a fact. Turn it into an "insult" if you want. It's not intended that way.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian278
This is seems like as good a place as any: Has anyone heard anyone use the word 'trad' outside of the forum? I went to use it the other today to describe the Brooks Bros.-centric wardrobe of one of my friends and stopped myself at the risk of have explain the other world that is SF. Simply one "Yes, they used it independent of me mentioning it" from the crowd will avow for its existance outside of here.
I've never heard it outside of SF and AAAC - in fact, wasn't the term "trad" coined at AAAC? Anyways, whenever I'm describing something that would be considered trad, I usually use something like "traditional east-coat aesthetic".

Rye GB

Angry Englishman
Reaction score
Question #1. Where can I find this brand "Julius". Preferably in Los Angeles to get a good look at the quality.

Question #2. Any good online stores for Ann D, Veronique Branquinho at discount?.

Question #3. That guy Chris in WAYWN has some decent Rick Owen tee's. Can these be found at bargain prices online?.

If anyone is wondering my goal is to not pay full price for anything ever again!.

chronoaug

Reaction score
edit: nevermind the response is a waste of everyone's time, i'm done with the discussion. I'll continue it when i'm older

Brian, i haven't heard the term trad outside of fashion fora either. I've heard the term traditional and even mod used in person and on television/magazines. I think if you're with friends and call something "trad" they would probably be able to tell that you're speaking of more traditional clothing styles and wouldn't be outed as a fashion forum member.

Rye, i think chris is selling his black RO tee. I doubt you'd be his size but you never know since he likes to wear his stuff kinda drapey and you like to wear things a bit more fitted top wise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads