• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thoughts on Land Rover (2000-2002)

Beckwith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe I am the contrarian, but it is a solid car. My dad owned them once since the Disco inception and he has a very positive experience. I think with any car, it is how well you maintain them, or how well the previous owner mainted them. If you could get service records, you would be able to make the right choice. I recently bought a CPO 05 LR3, and I am extremely happy with it. I have been subject to Ed's post on Land Rover before, but like he said at the end, the cars are tanks and you will able to haul a lot of crap around. Gas mileage is a little less than stellar, but you obviously know that going in.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Beckwith
Maybe I am the contrarian, but it is a solid car. My dad owned them once since the Disco inception and he has a very positive experience. I think with any car, it is how well you maintain them, or how well the previous owner mainted them. If you could get service records, you would be able to make the right choice. I recently bought a CPO 05 LR3, and I am extremely happy with it. I have been subject to Ed's post on Land Rover before, but like he said at the end, the cars are tanks and you will able to haul a lot of crap around. Gas mileage is a little less than stellar, but you obviously know that going in.

smile.gif

They are great to lug stuff around and I had the SE7 so I could carry 7 people easily but when that warranty expired there was no such thing as an under $2k trip to the dealer and there were quite a few trips. They are also not the kind of car that you can trust to your local auto mechanic, unlike the american cars. Luckily was bole to sell it to some sucker, I mean, doctor in NC through ebay. Also had a Range Rover and if I recount my odyssey with it, I wil probably cry. Wife currently drives the Hippo and it has equally been a POS. Had to have a new engine put in at 47K miles, some other **** went wrong with it a month ago that cost us $2000 and now the check engine light is on, which is a monthly occurence. Can't talk about the LR3 although I did drive it for a few months and was not enamored with the looks nor the drive, I think the Disco is better in both regards.

Beckwith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VMan
I like the Audi Allroad and the Volvo XC70 Cross Country but feel like I am too young to drive a wagon.

When I was in the market for a new (used) car, I searched for the all road, as that is not a soccer mom station wagon by any means. The only problem with the all road is that they stopped making them and they are in demand, so it will be hard to find one in that price range.

Cavalier

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Just a thought, but you don't need a suv for 4wd... Unless you really need the room or the clearance, i don't see the point of having one.

Even with sandbags in the back and good winter tires, 4WD is nice to have in the winter. The back end of these things will swing out on you when you're coming around a slippery corner if you're in RWD.

Beckwith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
smile.gif

They are great to lug stuff around and I had the SE7 so I could carry 7 people easily but when that warranty expired there was no such thing as an under $2k trip to the dealer and there were quite a few trips. They are also not the kind of car that you can trust to your local auto mechanic, unlike the american cars. Luckily was bole to sell it to some sucker, I mean, doctor in NC through ebay. Also had a Range Rover and if I recount my odyssey with it, I wil probably cry. Wife currently drives the Hippo and it has equally been a POS. Had to have a new engine put in at 47K miles, some other **** went wrong with it a month ago that cost us $2000 and now the check engine light is on, which is a monthly occurence. Can't talk about the LR3 although I did drive it for a few months and was not enamored with the looks nor the drive, I think the Disco is better in both regards.

boxing[1].gif

"Can't talk about the LR3 although I did drive it for a few months and was not enamored with the looks nor the drive, I think the Disco is better in both regards."

As someone who drove the old Disco quite a bit, and has been driving the LR3, I have to say it is night and day when it comes to drive. The LR3 does not handle like the old Disco, I am more comfortable driving it, than I was driving the Disco. The ride is quiter and smoother, and feels more like a car. That is a relative term being that it is a 6,000 pound offroading machine. Who doesn't need that for a garaged, pampered Manhattan weekend warrior?

What are you currently driving?

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Beckwith
boxing[1].gif

... The ride is quiter and smoother, and feels more like a car. That is a relative term being that it is a 6,000 pound offroading machine. Who doesn't need that for a garaged, pampered Manhattan weekend warrior?

See "Chelsea Tractor"
tongue.gif

DMcG

Reaction score
I like the Audi Allroad and the Volvo XC70 Cross Country but feel like I am too young to drive a wagon.

Think of them as SUVs with better handling and better mileage. My Legacy GT wagon is great in the snow as was the WRX wagon I had before that.

coachvu

Reaction score
I am also considering Jeep - either the classic, boxy, rugged-looking Cherokee Sport, or the more refined Grand Cherokee. Thoughts?

I'm on my second Grand Cherokee and have loved both of them. I bought both of them with 100K+ miles, and they have been fantastic. The first one needed a new engine at 200K, but the transmission is still working fine. I'm currently driving a '96 Grand Cherokee with ~108,000 miles and couldn't be happier. My first had the I6 engine, and the newer one has a V8. Both are great engines.

Cavalier

Reaction score
I am also considering Jeep - either the classic, boxy, rugged-looking Cherokee Sport, or the more refined Grand Cherokee. Thoughts?
If you get one in good condition, they are completely bullet proof. Great in the snow, super strong. You need to get the 4.0L inline 6, 4x4. www.naxja.com (North American XJ Jeep Association). All those problems you read about are people will old beat Jeeps that refuse to die--- and it's almost always a fuel injector or o2 sensor that needs to be changed. Super solid construction, mine had solid metal bumpers stock. Cheap to fix (plenty of Jeep hobbyists to do the repairs and cheap at shops too) I've owned an XJ--- seriously feels great driving that truck just because you always felt like you could get through ANY situation, snow, mud, etc. etc. Through jungles, mountains, etc. etc. I'd avoid the newer Grand Cherokees even though they are in your budget.... I just don't think they are the same build quality at all (I could be wrong). I could only recommend an XJ 4.0L seriously.... that truck is legendary.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
My advice would be to stay away from Nissan too. YMMV but my experience is that they build something with a powerful engine and good looks (usually) but that the engineering is not up to Toyota or Honda standards; they just do not hold up as well. I too would go for a 4Runner, given your budget and garage size limitations.

FWIW, AWD is the way to go. Both my wife and I are in AWD vehicles and we will never go back.

Cavalier

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
My advice would be to stay away from Nissan too. YMMV but my experience is that they build something with a powerful engine and good looks (usually) but that the engineering is not up to Toyota or Honda standards; they just do not hold up as well. I too would go for a 4Runner, given your budget and garage size limitations.

FWIW, AWD is the way to go. Both my wife and I are in AWD vehicles and we will never go back.

Older Pathfinder/QX4s (2000-earlier) are very reliable, keep going and going.

Newer Pathfinders, Armadas, Titans, etc. etc. are junky though

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Have driven the Cherokee classic (1998) for 6 years now. Bought at 24k, now at 145k. First gear is starting to whine a bit, so that will need an overhaul eventually. Engine still pulls well, smooth on the highways, tires easy to find. 4.0 in-line 6, have replaced a couple of water pumps which is a bummer, but after the first time it's not an ordeal. Can crawl under it with ease so maintenance isn't too bad, plus the Haynes/Mitchell/Chilton manuals cover most of the details down to engine overhaul. Lots of accessories, plenty of people on the web with information if you like to turn your own wrenches. Suspension parts are not sealed, so you'll need a grease gun, or an honest mechanic. Slightly unsettling to be among the smaller cars in the parking lot, but then again we are talking about Texas here.

Bottom line: If I have my way, I'll replace the engine/transmission before buying a new car.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads