• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Boston sales alert

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Downtown Crossing Barney's sale began today, and it was underwhelming. Featured shoes were Barney's house brand, J&M and Florsheim. I peeked at the tie rack of Barney house labels, but you only had one $20 frayed and pulled Kiton tie, plus a $40 Bizzochi, a $30 Nicky and a couple of $30 Drakes. Basically, all the rejects from the warehouse sale.

HalfCanvas

Reaction score
No, they don't. That was part of FB's other stock.

I'm not sure why everyone thought the Barney's sale started today. They had the Barney's shoes beginning last weekend. They had a bit more than just the house brand when they first arrived. In particular, they had a couple pair of white dirty line laceups from Michael Cabata ($99 down from $650); a pair of light green suede brogue boots from Cabata ($99 down from $750); and a pair of Lidfort dark brown loafers ($99 down from $500 or so). But other than that Josepidal is right -- very underwhelming as usual.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry. I was looking for that thread but it said "bargain" instead of "sale" like every other thread.

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by josepidal
Sorry. I was looking for that thread but it said "bargain" instead of "sale" like every other thread.

We don't copy thread titles of those Noo Yok people, you know

mussel

Reaction score
I went to Boston for some social gatherings this past week and had Sunday freed up for shopping. Went to FB Downtown Crossing closing sale, all suits were 60% off, there're some Zegna, Corneliani and many Oxxford, but the Oxxford seems to be from pretty old stock and some patterns were quite weird. Tux were 80% off, spotted some Oxxford vent-less DB and SB with peaked lapel, $200-$240, a steal!! Shirts were all crap, I didn't have patience to shift thru the piles. Mens shoes were pretty much all done.

I also checked out the Back Bay FB branch, new stuffs just came in from Mitchell's, Richards and Barneys. Some Brioni, Zegna Couture, Coreneliani suits. Brioni, Battistoni and Borrelli shirts.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mussel
I went to Boston for some social gatherings this past week and had Sunday freed up for shopping. Went to FB Downtown Crossing closing sale, all suits were 60% off, there're some Zegna, Corneliani and many Oxxford, but the Oxxford seems to be from pretty old stock and some patterns were quite weird. Tux were 80% off, spotted some Oxxford vent-less DB and SB with peaked lapel, $200-$240, a steal!! Shirts were all crap, I didn't have patience to shift thru the piles. Mens shoes were pretty much all done.

The Downtown Crossing FB is pretty much only worth a browse if you're a 44 or 46. I saw some Vestimenta, quite a few Oxxford and Canalis and a Corneliani or two in these sizes. You're not going to be finding any solid navys or charcoals, but for ~$300, you can still find good deals.

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was in Boston about couple of months ago and saw the Borrelli store under contruction on Newbury. Has the store opened yet?

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went to FB on Wednesday. Picked up brown, lined cotton/linen 2-button blazer with elbow patches for $60 (awesome fit, low gorge). 7 For All mankind summer pants in cream color for $30 (great quality and fit).
For my girl Jil Sander high heel sandals for $25 and Henri B for Barney's, Italian sandals for $29.
I am so happy I am in Boston, where 99% of people looking for trad garb and ignore a truly great finds.

On a related note. FB will re-open in about 2 years at the same location. There are already blue prints for new store. So at least those of you who will remain in bean-town would be able to enjoy it's unbelievable sales.

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dkzzzz
So at least those of you who will remain in bean-town would be able to enjoy it's unbelievable sales.

New York, Schmu York
Borrelli is sheduled to open in September. Ferragamo opened ahead of schedule.
Loro Piana +
Zegna +
* GASP * L.V. +

Now if we can drag Vacca up here, we're gonna be in business
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

( Kiton and MB product was available in Boston for years. )

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went by FB on my lunchbreak today to kiss the place goodbye. So many memories, so many deals. update on the remaining suit selection: Still quite a few Oxxfords, going for ~$400 now. There was some truly wacky stuff (green polka dots, I kid you not) but a couple choice ones. The most useful was a pale grey Manhattan II model (SB, 3-btn IIRC, double reverse pleast) in 100% Escorial. Really nice stuff. I saw a 39, a 44 and a 42S, but there may well have been others. it's a rather washed out color, tricky to wear I'd imagine if you are at all pasty. Would be nice on a swarthier fellow. Also a few Vestimentas for 44s, and a frankly surprising array of Hickey Freedman Collections in the 44-46 range. All the ones I looked at were Madison models, and I saw Navy Pinstripes, possibly a charcoal pinstripe or two and 1 really awesome dark, solid charcoal flannel that made me wish, for the first time in my life, that I were a 46 and that I liked pleats. The HF Collections were in the $250 range. For those smaller than 44 (there was also a couple stray 42s), the picking were slim. A buttload of shiny metallic Calvin Klein Collection jobbers and one stray charcoal Luciano Barbera in 38S. Looked like a freakin Thome Brown on the hanger, it was so small. It said "damage" on the tag, but I didn't inspect hard enough to determine what the flaw was. That one was about $400 as well. Other than that, the place is over, I'll miss it. EDIT: Oh yeah, lotsa Bill Blass still.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FB on Boylston street has YSL reave gauche leather shoes in antique brown in size US 8.5

Fantastic shoes for those who like a bit of unusual treatment of traditional English last.
Shoes are marked (not surprisingly) 401/2 which cannot be further from the actual size of US 8.5.

horton

Reaction score
Does anyone know the date for Louis's next sale? It should be soon. Thanks

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads