• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recent purchases

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddohnggo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Oh and since it's a recent purchase thread: I acquired a pair of Carol Christian Poell x-stitching pants (in black).

post pix plz

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
That might be what you would think, but as much as luxury retailers would like to think that their product lines are full price driven, economically it's difficult to argue that sales are what drive even luxury retailers at this point, even as a way to promote full price sales through product display. Even if we ignore the fact that some of the value added from a luxury good is driven by its resale value, from an economic perspective, it's obviously consumer spending that drives a market, and to that end, my half million dollars of annual consumer spending is going to do more to thom browne's bottom line than joe blow's $1000 spent buying a cashmere jumper. While it's patently obvious that their BEST customers are going to be like SoCal, buying dozens of products at full price, I would argue that those customers are few and far between. Even so, the merchant's survival is driven by a general purchase of consumer goods.

I don't know if this has been brought up later since I'm just catching up and haven't read all the pages.

But, it is people that buy full price luxury goods who pad the bottom line enough to offset the markdowns at sale time. You have to sell enough full price blazers in order to still make money when you have to sell some at 30, then 50 then 75% off.

80% of a retailers sales typically from 20% of their customers.

Every major retailer (if they have newish point of sale systems and they have their own branded credit card) tracks the full price and sale price spending of their clients.

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
I don't know if this has been brought up later since I'm just catching up and haven't read all the pages.

But, it is people that buy full price luxury goods who pad the bottom line enough to offset the markdowns at sale time. You have to sell enough full price blazers in order to still make money when you have to sell some at 30, then 50 then 75% off.

80% of a retailers sales typically from 20% of their customers.

Every major retailer (if they have newish point of sale systems and they have their own branded credit card) tracks the full price and sale price spending of their clients.

yea pareto's 80/20 principle....

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I never realized there was a great second hand handbag market. Maybe my wife is sitting on a goldmine.

All of my gal pals that I know who buy their bags I've never seen them re-sell them or think "Hey, this might fetch me 50% of what I paid for it." Most people who are buying these things are going to keep them so they can show them off to their friends or have a big pool to draw from with all their hand bags. Maybe 5-10% of people buying designer hand bags resell theirs in order to fund another purchase.
Also, with fakes becoming better and better people aren't going to want to pay $600 for a $1100 bag on eBay when it could be a fake and then likewise girls aren't going to resell that bag for $150 becuase the online knockoff market is so big. They'd rather go into Saks, Bergdorf, Neimans etc and buy the real thing and then if they are an "aspirational" customer they get the ADDED satisfaction of the service, walking around all day with the shopping bag and when someone asks they can flaunt where they bought it.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
True, and it's a clear simplification, but the other side of the coin is that a retailer won't continue to carry a brand that doesn't sell well at full retail, this was the design consideration I mentioned earlier.

Yah they will. It is called a loss leader and if they are hot/unique/exclusive and it sets you apart from the competition you will keep it around for the time being.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yah they will. It is called a loss leader and if they are hot/unique/exclusive and it sets you apart from the competition you will keep it around for the time being.

+1. I am not SoCal, so I am not going to buy the translucent blue Jil Sander raincoat or the Roberto Cavalli snakeskin blazer, but those are the things that keep me going to Maxfield, where I will buy the much less expensive and more wearable Peresteso pullover.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
All of my gal pals that I know who buy their bags I've never seen them re-sell them or think "Hey, this might fetch me 50% of what I paid for it." Most people who are buying these things are going to keep them so they can show them off to their friends or have a big pool to draw from with all their hand bags. Maybe 5-10% of people buying designer hand bags resell theirs in order to fund another purchase.
Also, with fakes becoming better and better people aren't going to want to pay $600 for a $1100 bag on eBay when it could be a fake and then likewise girls aren't going to resell that bag for $150 becuase the online knockoff market is so big. They'd rather go into Saks, Bergdorf, Neimans etc and buy the real thing and then if they are an "aspirational" customer they get the ADDED satisfaction of the service, walking around all day with the shopping bag and when someone asks they can flaunt where they bought it.

Honestly, if I tried to sell one (which I wouldn't) she would probably cut my hand off. Every once in awhile she feels some odd need to rummage through everything and find the perfect whatever bag from 1997. I just chuckle knowing that I have no power to stop the purse buying express.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I understand that, my point was that if majority of the inventory of that brand was continuously not sold at full retail it will eventually be dropped.

My main point was that economically the business model for a normal retailer involves selling some portion of their inventory at full retail and hopefully breaking even, but good inventory management and sale strategy can be the difference between making a small amount of money and a large amount of money. Obviously selling items at full retail price is important, no one is denying that is the case. My point is that sale merchandise is important in maintaining a profitable business. Furthermore, many consumer goods products are now almost completely sales/promotion driven as opposed to advertising driven. That seems to be the trend of late.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
JC Penny's, Mervyns, Macy's, **** like that is very promo and sales driven.

But, IIRC the initial discussion was the luxury market and retailers who have 2 sales and 1 or 2 promos (usually not even a % off) a year.

Pariolino

Reaction score
Thanks for the concern and the financial advice, I'm doing fine, but thank you.
You may not need the financial advice, but good god man, take some of that 500k and buy somthing that FITS.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pariolino
You may not need the financial advice, but good god man, take some of that 500k and buy somthing that FITS.

what's with the near non-stop attacks?

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pariolino

I appreciate the concern, but I'm happy with how the majority of my wardrobe fits and am making adjustments to the pieces I'm not happy with. I suggest directing your comments at someone who might actually take them into consideration.

Badseeds

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
No more talk bitches, more consumer spending!!!

yes sir. real pics come later (cuz most of them are still on the way) if interest.

julius cargo pants

julius side button shirt

raf sweater

junya watanabe

y8o8l4.jpg

guidi

4of40x.jpg

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
^Much better!!!!

Picked up some grey cords to complement my black ones
bigstar[1].gif

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sometimes I see something on Atelier's website that I would pay full retail for. Otherwise, I don't like paying retail as I know for certain that I can get it cheaper somewhere else.

Also, I'm not one who's ever going to purchase some overpriced "new car" so that is not a point. Nor am I likely going to be purchasing "new luxury watches" since $20,000 could get a vintage '50s Agassiz Worldtime wristwatch or a really magnificent pocketwatch.

I also don't like paying "dealer prices".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads