• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cancun?

Garrett

Reaction score
Hey guys,
So I'm fortunate enough to be going to Cancun for a week in the end of July and I'm just wondering whose been. Any suggestions on things to do, specifically places where there will be young people (18-25). Get me excited.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
NECROPOSTIN'. There's the distinct possibility that I might be headed to Cancun for a week or so around New Years'. A family friend works at a resort (don't remember which off-hand) so I'm already set with a place to stay, free booze/food (in that order), and such. While I am looking to party like it's 1999, I'm also looking to travel around since I've only seen the B.C. part of Mexico. Chichen Itza and other ruins would be high on my list so I'm seeking advice based on prior experiences. What tours should I be looking into? Keep it chartered or go public? Anything reasonably close to Cancun worth seeing? Any word on the best wet t-shirt contest in town? Any tips appreciated.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Chichen Itza was good for history/archaeological information. Long bus ride to get there, take a chartered tour, since a good guide can make or break your experience. The ball field (seven echoes) was a trip. We stayed for the evening light show and were incredibly underwhelmed. It was not worth staying late for, although we did swim in a Cenote (Ik kil?) and that was incredible.

Other couples swam in other cenotes and loved every one.

Tulum / Xel-Ha was nice. IIRC, Xel-Ha is an ecological water park and was a good trip. Tulum is kind of a very early settlement, but the cliffs overlooking the beach were very nice.

You'll probably come across free trip offers, just to come out to 'visit' a time-share place. We did that for some Grupo Maya timeshare, and were surprised to find that they were very pleasant, not dicks at all like I've seen in these parts. No, we didn't buy.

You might be tempted to visit Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville. Maybe you'll like it. They made a good margarita, but that was about it for me. Good luck on your trip.

DuncanM

Reaction score
I just got back a few weeks ago after staying at the Riu Palace. Jungle boat tour: You get these little boats with a 30 hp outboard and make a 40 minute run to a place to snorkel. They tie up the boats so it was hard on my girlfriend as the current was strong. Your "Jungle" portion is going through about 1/4 mile of mangroves....while the boats were amusing I would not recommend it. Horseback riding: This was my girlfriend's desire that I was not that jacked about. I didn't care for it all that much but she liked it. They do have 5-6 horses that they take out into the water and they will swim with you on their back. They said there are only three places in the world they do this. Our guide, Willie, was a riot. Swim with Dolphins: There are several places that do this and we went to the water park at the end of Cancun (can't recall the name). We both liked this and they did a great job. Very fun. Cozumel Snorkeling: This was an all day thing. You meet at 7:30 and ride a bus to a ferry and then go to boats. They snorkeling was a little over an hour and we were stuck there until the 5:30 ferry. Long boring time at a tourist trap....not recommended. I have not been to Senior Frogs in a while but it was very fun when I was there last. Cancun has an endless amount of stuff to do. Always bring money for pictures as anything you do they will take them. The Mexican people are extremely nice...please tip them. Have a great time. Why is it the Mexicans in Mexico speak English and the ones in the US don't?
smile.gif

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DuncanM
Jungle boat tour: You get these little boats with a 30 hp outboard and make a 40 minute run to a place to snorkel. They tie up the boats so it was hard on my girlfriend as the current was strong. Your "Jungle" portion is going through about 1/4 mile of mangroves....while the boats were amusing I would not recommend it.

Cozumel Snorkeling: This was an all day thing. You meet at 7:30 and ride a bus to a ferry and then go to boats. They snorkeling was a little over an hour and we were stuck there until the 5:30 ferry. Long boring time at a tourist trap....not recommended.

The Mexican people are extremely nice...please tip them.

Funny enough we did both of these on our honeymoon nine years ago, and that's when Mrs. T found out that snorkeling made her sea-sick. Had to drag her back the the boat both times.

Regarding tips - we stayed at the all-inclusive resorts and bring $50 in singles. I tip at each meal and drink. By day two the hotel staff knew who we were and took good care of us.

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
Chichen Itza was good for history/archaeological information. Long bus ride to get there, take a chartered tour, since a good guide can make or break your experience. The ball field (seven echoes) was a trip. We stayed for the evening light show and were incredibly underwhelmed. It was not worth staying late for, although we did swim in a Cenote (Ik kil?) and that was incredible.

Other couples swam in other cenotes and loved every one.

Tulum / Xel-Ha was nice. IIRC, Xel-Ha is an ecological water park and was a good trip. Tulum is kind of a very early settlement, but the cliffs overlooking the beach were very nice.

You'll probably come across free trip offers, just to come out to 'visit' a time-share place. We did that for some Grupo Maya timeshare, and were surprised to find that they were very pleasant, not dicks at all like I've seen in these parts. No, we didn't buy.

You might be tempted to visit Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville. Maybe you'll like it. They made a good margarita, but that was about it for me. Good luck on your trip.

Great advice. If you like to snorkel, definitely check out Xel-Ha.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips, fellas. I'll mostly like be traveling with another person who isn't certified so I'm glad there are good snorkeling options. Xel-ha looks a bit touristy but very pretty. If it comes recommened, I'll check it out. Swimming in a cenote also looks to be on my list.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy do people pay money to go to Mexico?

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy do people pay money to go to Mexico?

Cause hitch-hiking to get there is a bit less reliable.
smile.gif

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
I can fly, stay and do as much sport fishing in Cabo for as my little heart could ever hope for $0 and I still won't go.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
xel-ha is a little depressingly touristy, and the snorkeling isn't great if you're into snorkeling (I think you're a diver, right who? /stalker), but it's an interesting place. Pretty sure they went there on VH1's "I Love New York." FWIW. Bring biodegradable sunscreen, because they require it, or at least require that you buy some.

Tulum is pretty cool and right on the cliffs--and there's a beach there, kinda. I think most tours package tulum and xel-ha together as they're near each other and closer to cancun than chichen itza.

I say just get drunk at the resort and hit on tourist daughters.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoreman1782

...that's what our exchange student did. Over the course of a week he lost a shirt, a hat, and a pair of sandals (got those back the next day), but I think he came out ahead in the deal. I figure he got lucky most nights, I suspect once with twins.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoreman1782
xel-ha is a little depressingly touristy, and the snorkeling isn't great if you're into snorkeling (I think you're a diver, right who? /stalker), but it's an interesting place. Pretty sure they went there on VH1's "I Love New York." FWIW. Bring biodegradable sunscreen, because they require it, or at least require that you buy some.

Tulum is pretty cool and right on the cliffs--and there's a beach there, kinda. I think most tours package tulum and xel-ha together as they're near each other and closer to cancun than chichen itza.

You stalk me well, sir. Ideally I'd want to cave dive but wouldn't want to do it without seriously researching the instructors/dive masters associated with whatever company I'd go with. My cousin also mentioned Tulum as a place to check out during the week. I've got a few months to look into various charter companies so hopefully I'll find something a bit off the tourist track. My main concerns are booze, ruins, and women.

DuncanM

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
I can fly, stay and do as much sport fishing in Cabo for as my little heart could ever hope for $0 and I still won't go.

Just to make you happy, my girlfriend and I are getting married this spring in Cancun.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DuncanM
Just to make you happy, my girlfriend and I are getting married this spring in Cancun.

If I knew you I'd hook you and all your groomsmen up with as much sport fishing as you can handle.

Edit:Nevermind you said Cancun...can only do Cabo.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads