• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Definitive Guide to Slim Fit Shirts

water

Reaction score
I received my first Barba shirt today. Once I tried it on I was a little surprised that a lot of people consider them slim fitting.

Admittedly, I am what one might consider thin (5'11", 160lbs) but while I might consider the fit around the shoulders and chest somewhat slim, the rest of the body certainly is not. Do not misunderstand, it is a beautiful shirt just not slim fitting on me.

fredrik80

Reaction score
I was pleasantly surprised by the fit of GV Conte shirts (im sure they have several different cuts though), they fit like tailormade for me, i usually have trouble finding slim shirts because i have an athletic build, slimfit shirts usually are too tight in the chest and shoulders. But these fit great all across, and the fabrics were really nice + shell buttons

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by water
I received my first Barba shirt today. Once I tried it on I was a little surprised that a lot of people consider them slim fitting.

Admittedly, I am what one might consider thin (5'11", 160lbs) but while I might consider the fit around the shoulders and chest somewhat slim, the rest of the body certainly is not. Do not misunderstand, it is a beautiful shirt just not slim fitting on me.

As long as the sleeves and collar fit, taking in the body, utilizing darts, etc...should at least salvage the shirt and make it wearable, no?

Jon.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

There is a US fit and a EU fit. The EU shirts are about 4 inches smaller in the chest and a few inches in the stomach.

water

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, it still fits well. I just would not describe it as slim fit.

Very nice hand stitching inside the arm holes. I would be too scared to let any tailors in my area get their hands on it.

water

Reaction score
Oh, and I believe I have one of the EU shirts. Is there an identifying mark on the US market versions?

wig2903

Reaction score
I've finally found the perfect slim fit shirt - Paul Smith - for those who are interested. Unlike others I've tried which have fallen short in either the sleeve length, amount of material round the waist or giving a hunch back appearance, these are perfect. I would definitely recommend checking them out.

joel_954

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by danderton5
Can anyone give any input on Geoffery Beene fitted or Alfani Fitted. I have heard mixed reviews on their fit.

I really like the Geoffery Beene Wrinkle-free fitted shirts. They fit very well.

finecognac

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mbc
Do some pushups. Problem solved.

I don't know that pushups make your stomach bigger. It's the fit in the waist and body, not just shoulder !

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Oh, and I believe I have one of the EU shirts. Is there an identifying mark on the US market versions?

The identifying mark is that they are slimmer
smile.gif
Tell me the neck and chest size and I'll tell you what it is. For example, my slim Barba's are 15.75 neck and a 42 chest.

If you need to go slimmer than that, check out Roda shirts, slimmest quality shirts I've ever encountered. I think in a 15.5 neck they have a 38 inch chest.

csgrad

Reaction score
The GV Conte on Yoox all look really baggy on the model, just how slim are they in real life? I've been sticking to hickey and bagutta as my goto shirt sources now a days. Hickey cloth is alot better ( and alot more expensive retail) but hard to find tasteful styles. Bagutta makes good shirts for the yoox price of 70-85 bucks.

itskub

Reaction score
i have a roda shirt thats labeled 15/38. by far the shortest shirt i have, especially the sleeves. the waist fits me oddly also, i geuss its just not for my (tall skinny) body type.

i cant get myself to buy anything from yoox.com, their models really leave me clueless as to how an item fits.

fredrik80

Reaction score
The GV conte model i have, in a size 40 (same as i wear in bagutta) is cut slightly slimmer than the bagutta shirt. The bagutta shirt is not darted at the back but somehow it manages to fit good there anyway, the gv conte shirt is darted so its more contoured at the back.
The conte shirts are cut a bit shorter aswell so they look good worn untucked... but as you say some of their styles are probably non-slimfit. Check for the darts on the back on the shirt pics

csgrad

Reaction score
Ah thanks, yeah the un-darted bagutta shirts without back pleats fit really well in the back, surprisingly. The ones with back pleats are a lot more roomier though, because I guess that's their more "fat" model lol. That's interesting about gv conte, i may have to pick some up as well, there's also alot of new bagutta shirts with darts already in them on yoox, and these look to be really slim.

water

Reaction score
My Barba is a 15.5 with a 43" chest.

As I mentioned, no problem in the chest and shoulder area which both fit brilliantly. My only half concern is through the waist. Still, the shirt is beautiful so I have no real, serious complaints.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads