• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Polygamy: Who's for it?

Brad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It seems like a pain ********** to me.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brad
It seems like a pain ********** to me.

You're doing it all wrong then.

Rome

Mr. Chocolates Godiva
Reaction score
The concept seems sexist and misogynistic.

Itinerant

Reaction score
I could say something funny, but I won't. I see polygamy frequently and my observations can be summed up in one word: subjugation.

While there certainly are adult women who willingly enter into these relationships, many of them are arranged marriages invloving teenage girls, some as young as thirteen, and they are frequently married off to close relatives. In most of the cases I have observed the women are considered to be chattels and are treated as such.

It is a disgusting practice.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm not into it (seems like a pain too) but I'm not against it. So I voted for one is enough.

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I read recently that polygamy ends up ******* 75% of guys because it causes a situation where only the wealthy can afford to take care of multiple wives. The rest of the dudes sit around circle jerking and planning suicide bombings.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I try to have more than one girlfriend at a time. I cannot say I will continue this into marriage however. Having more than one girl keeps you satiated, un-needy, and in a position of independence. Just like in stocks, you do not want to put all your eggs into one basket - it makes you powerless and is risky.

That being said, I do not condone fooling women or making them think they are the only one and then "cheating". That is weak and not very mature.

redcaimen

Bigtime
Reaction score
Even a brief menage a trois is too much work.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
It's already unbearable coming home to one nagging ball and chain, what more if its a cackle of them?!

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
I read recently that polygamy ends up ******* 75% of guys because it causes a situation where only the wealthy can afford to take care of multiple wives. The rest of the dudes sit around circle jerking and planning suicide bombings.

That`s probably why polygamy is banned from many nations (because the wealthy can only afford it and the middle/lower class get screwed).

I`m in favor of polygamy. I think it`s natural, and the traditional way it has been done in just about every society. I don`t think a society should force a man to be limited to one wife, if he chooses to have more.

The strong (physically, wealthy, or whatever is viewed as strong) men are able to care for more women, and produce more (strong) kids. That`s the way it should be.

Some might argue that their religion forbids it, but this is not true either. The major religions (like Christianity, Islam, Buddhism, etc.) all do not say anything against having multiple wives, or something like concubines.

I don`t have any experience myself, but I imagine it is not all fun and games for the man either. Just having one wife is a lot responsibility, so I imagine having multiple wives would require a real man.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Itinerant
I could say something funny, but I won't. I see polygamy frequently and my observations can be summed up in one word: subjugation.

While there certainly are adult women who willingly enter into these relationships, many of them are arranged marriages invloving teenage girls, some as young as thirteen, and they are frequently married off to close relatives. In most of the cases I have observed the women are considered to be chattels and are treated as such.

It is a disgusting practice.

I wonder if the issue you described has much to with polygamy though.

I would imagine that depending on the culture, arranged marriages involving teenage girls are common among monogamous societies too. Same with being married off to close relatives, and women considered to be chattels and treated as such.

Maybe it sounds disgusting for people who live in different culture, but for them it`s the way of life. Maybe to them, not getting married until a later age, and having no kids is a disgusting way to live too
smile.gif

To me, all of the above sound more cultural rather than a polygamy vs monogamy issue.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mark Twain's view:

Our stay in Salt Lake City amounted to only two days, and therefore we had no time to make the customary inquisition into the workings of polygamy and get up the usual statistics and deductions preparatory to calling the attention of the nation at large once more to the matter. I had the will to do it. With the gushing self-sufficiency of youth I was feverish to plunge in headlong and achieve a great reform here - until I saw the Mormon women. Then I was touched. My heart was wiser than my head. It warmed toward these poor, ungainly and pathetically "homely" creatures, and as I turned to hide the generous moisture in my eyes, I said, "No - the man that marries one of them has done an act of Christian charity which entitles him to the kindly applause of mankind, not their harsh censure - and the man that marries sixty of them has done a deed of open-handed generosity so sublime that the nations should stand uncovered in his presence and worship in silence."

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads