• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Manhattan Sales Alert!!

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by marc237
What time do they open? I thought 10:00 a.m.?

Opens at 8 the first couple of days.

Originally Posted by mr. magoo
Also, people remember the sale of old -- that had some truly astounding deals. It's like ebay that way.

Sigh. Everthing was always better Before.

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What time do they open? I thought 10:00 a.m.?

I think they open 8am or 8:30am the first 2 days of the sale.

Originally Posted by chorse123
Me too. I have a whole bunch of new fall gear that I can't wait to wear.

There will be a little taste of fall this weekend. Temperature will fall to low 70's during the day and 50's at night in the city, even lower in the suburb.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. 8 is a bit too early for me to get there. Oh well.

As to Fall, I cannot wait as I picked up a few fall sportscoats and sweaters. But, ainasmuch as I am one of those who feel heat, I need low 60's and not low 70's for it to feel like fall.

Cassidy

Reaction score
Let us know how Barney's looks (i.e. whether or not you regret getting up early).

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got back from Barneys. Same crap as last year. The line to get in was a block long. Mostly house label stuff.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Worse than the last sale in terms of sportcoats and shoes (at least in my size). I did see one pair of suede monkstraps by Calozeria Harris for only $89, which probably should have been $189. Fit was pretty good, but the buckle was HUGE. Oh well. Spotted some decent items, including Lanvin suits, but I was not inspired to buy. Perhaps very late in the sale.

It seemed significantly more crowded this time that I remembered the previous first day being.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I echo the observations of Jamison and Tax Genius. In 42 and 43 regulars there were some nice Battistonis at some not very nice prices. There was a few decent trousers. Shoes did not impress in my smaller size. Complete madhouse.

My one observation is that way too many men were getting really bad advice regarding fit from the Barneys warehouse staff. Suit jackets and sports coats that were too big or too long were being fobbed off as "great!", "fits you like a glove", or "just take up the sleeve an inch."

Also, great opportunity to observe men and their wives or girlfriends interact over clothing selection.

I left empty handed.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I echo the observations of Jamison and Tax Genius. In 42 and 43 regulars there were some nice Battistonis at some not very nice prices. There was a few decent trousers. Shoes did not impress in my smaller size. Complete madhouse.

My one observation is that way too many men were getting really bad advice regarding fit from the Barneys warehouse staff. Suit jackets and sports coats that were too big or too long were being fobbed off as "great!", "fits you like a glove", or "just take up the sleeve an inch."

Also, great opportunity to observe men and their wives or girlfriends interact over clothing selection.

I left empty handed.

It was also fun to watch a guy trying to figure out which Hugo Boss suit to buy. Also, there were no C&J shoes. There were the usual Hickey Freeman suits for $600 + tax. Those never get reduced in price. Tons of Barney's shoes, shirts and suits.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by taxgenius69
Also, there were no C&J shoes.

This is not true. I saw a few nice patent leather laceups, a gorgeous suede chukka (8.5), and others. Prices were around $300 for handgrade, $220 for benchgrade (only saw the patent).

The best was the salesguy in the tailored clothing area in a ridiculous bright blue zoot suit. Everything fit poorly, even his shirt collar. Poor guy. And people were taking advice from him.

Master Shake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm glad I didn't get up early to check out this sale. Maybe if I have time to kill, I'll stop by this weekend just for the amusement factor (and for reconnaissance work, of course).

StockwellDay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There were the usual Hickey Freeman suits for $600 + tax. Those never get reduced in price. Tons of Barney's shoes, shirts and suits.

Actually, those do get reduced. I've picked up two in the past on deep deep discount.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StockwellDay
Actually, those do get reduced. I've picked up two in the past on deep deep discount.

Don't they only reduce the suits with the red tag?

StockwellDay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't they only reduce the suits with the red tag?
You can't always tell. Last year only the tagged ones were reduced. In past years I've seen things like 1/2 off all suits, 75% off all Barney's suits. The HF I picked up had the Barney's tag (obviously), in addition to the HF tag and the girl at the register rang it up as a Barney's suit. That was luck, but in the past some HF suits did have tags on them and at some point all suits get reduced. I think last year the HF were marked at their lowest to $400 (those w/o tags).

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The suede monkstraps were marked down from $198 - and I can live with the buckle.
laugh.gif

Also picked up two nice pairs of Lidfort derbys - black plain and tan floating medallion.

I agree on the sportcoats. Really nothing to report.

Originally Posted by chorse123
Worse than the last sale in terms of sportcoats and shoes (at least in my size). I did see one pair of suede monkstraps by Calozeria Harris for only $89, which probably should have been $189. Fit was pretty good, but the buckle was HUGE. Oh well. Spotted some decent items, including Lanvin suits, but I was not inspired to buy. Perhaps very late in the sale.

It seemed significantly more crowded this time that I remembered the previous first day being.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads