• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Into vinyl records?

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How about that? I own many long playing albums. Some of the covers are fun. I have the Whipped Cream Tijuana Brass album. That's one of my favorites. Have many 45 sized recordings, too. And some 78 rpms.

Our old Fisher stereo, still gets plenty of use.

Bergdorf Goodwill

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How cute, the same industry that periodically trots out new formats for the sake of it issuing mainstream vinyl again. That warm turntable sound will really squeeze the sonic beauty out of The Used. Viva downloaded .flac and death to this entire industry.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jonglover
I'm not a collector-type, so this awesome.

Because you've been itching to pay $25 for a vinyl version of an album that you previously could have bought on vinyl for under $10 and still can probably get on CD new for $9-14 and less than that used?

I still have plenty of what I guess I should now refer to as "vintag" vinyl, but I'm afraid my gut reaction to this is similar to BG's.

vaclava krishna

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
What do you mean?

It's not, deep groove .

vaclava krishna

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
What do you mean?

Some is I see, 200 gram but, you can get it Neil Diamond, for $2 with gentle use.

Manny Calavera

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
Because you've been itching to pay $25 for a vinyl version of an album that you previously could have bought on vinyl for under $10 and still can probably get on CD new for $9-14 and less than that used? I still have plenty of what I guess I should now refer to as "vintag" vinyl, but I'm afraid my gut reaction to this is similar to BG's.
I see nothing wrong with the bigger studios throwing money at vinyl. There's pretty much nothing I'm interested in on the site, however the boomers and hipsters will buy any **** that's on vinyl, which will hopefully convince them to expand the catalog. And there's a lot of old, OOP Warner that's impossible to find on CD or vinyl. Or mp3, for that matter.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They still make new vinyl records. There is a local store that sells extremely high-end stereo equipment and they also have various jazz selections from Mingus, etc.

They're about $55 each and $80 for a set of two.

Manny Calavera

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
They still make new vinyl records. There is a local store that sells extremely high-end stereo equipment and they also have various jazz selections from Mingus, etc.

Yeah, it's very much alive in the indie scene. Even Numero Group has started pressing their library onto vinyl. It's especially big in the avant-garde metal scene; I just sold a clear, 180g, limited pressing of the recent Earth re-release for $300.

I just don't see how this can be a bad thing. You don't have to buy it. There's a lot of OOP 60s soul I want, on Warner.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jonglover
Yeah, it's very much alive in the indie scene. Even Numero Group has started pressing their library onto vinyl. It's especially big in the avant-garde metal scene; I just sold a clear, 180g, limited pressing of the recent Earth re-release for $300.

I just don't see how this can be a bad thing. You don't have to buy it. There's a lot of OOP 60s soul I want, on Warner.

Yes, I always see some bands release limited edition vinyl pressings for new songs or albums.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing

Ouch. I remember back when Rhino Records (they were just a used record store then, not a big fancy label) in Westwood used to have their semi-annual parking lot sale. Boxes upon boxes of used records, in no discernible order. A quarter per album and (iirc) a dime per 45. My friends and I would leave with boxes of albums, having spent like $12 (which, admittedly, was not such a paltry sum to us at the time). A bonanza if you were into once-popular '70's acts like, say, Pablo Cruise or Chicago. But a lot of great stuff as well, and occasionally something really cool, out of print and semi-rare. If nothing else, you could pick up lots of stuff you'd never give a try at regular prices. At $0.25 a pop, no loss if you only listened to it once. I'm pretty sure this is how I discovered, among others, John Fahey.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads