• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gun Appreciation Thread

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
Maintainance wise, perhaps. I think the M4 is more accurate with less recoil than the AK, especially when not stationary, if such things matter to you, though.

yes, the M-16 family is probrably more accurate - but what I meant was that my first reaction to his post was that he was wrong, that the AR-15 is a great weapon. but, the AK family is great, too.

the AK is tougher, and is still pretty light. the AR-15 is like a pistol, in terms of weight, is very comfotable to use, has great killing power. its just a little more fragile.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
and you can carry about twice as much 5.56 ammo as 7.62 ammo, when you count in the weight of the magazines.

dapperdude

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
I went to the armoury today I was surprised at how easy it is to get a gun. You just need to take a multiple choice test in CA. When I was there I saw some ghetto gangstah looking peeps loading up on shotguns lol.

Reminds me of the time I went to Firing Line in Burbank, and saw two cholos firing a Saturday Night Special in the next row. Gave me a somewhat uncomfortable feeling.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you live in a rural area and are looking for a long gun, you could do worse than the FN FAL.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eg1
If you live in a rural area and are looking for a long gun, you could do worse than the FN FAL.

I suppose if you expect your house to be assaulted by a large criminal gang, one of its civilianized counteparts would make a sound choice. Otherwise I'm not sure what it is first-choice for.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
I suppose if you expect your house to be assaulted by a large criminal gang, one of its civilianized counteparts would make a sound choice. Otherwise I'm not sure what it is first-choice for.

It could happen. Haven't you ever watched the A-Team? I always keep an FN FAL, a welding torch, an old-but-still-usable tractor, a plan I would love to see come together, and a glass of milk around; just in case my small town is overrun by a large gang of rough-looking white guys. My aim has never been too hot, but the bad guys always seem to have a jump a lot when things explode.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
FWIW, I have never heard of "special bullets with off-set center." I don't claim omniscience about firearms matters, but that's a new one on me. How do they work? How would you get any accuracy from such a thing?

BTW, when I counseled the OP to start out with a .22, I was not advocating it as a self-defense weapon. It was mainly a learning tool. (And, they're always a lot of fun--and cheap--to shoot.)

Imagine bullet exiting barrel and flying on a brink of it's balance, the moment it comes in contact with anything it starts making summersaults.
That is how it works. It was tested by both Soviet and US military but never found wide use as it does not have effective penetration when it comes to thick walls. However it is very bad for human targets.

As far as Ar-15 vs. AK-47 .
AK-47 is a machine gun!
AR-15 is an automatic rifle!
AK-47 comes in 7.62 and 5.65 calibers. So let's compare apples to apples.

P.S. In terms of maintenance anything can be compared, I guess: so AK-47 consists of 5 large parts if you take it apart.

thepataphysician

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dapperdude
Reminds me of the time I went to Firing Line in Burbank, and saw two cholos firing a Saturday Night Special in the next row. Gave me a somewhat uncomfortable feeling.

you know that feeling, when you are walking down the street, that "man, I hope that crazy guy can't get his hands on a gun" feeling. If you go to a shooting range in Philadelphia, look around, you will be surrounded by those guys. It is ok when you are in the range but later in the afternoon, walking down the street, you see one of those guys and realize that he is armed to the teeth. quite unnerving.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dkzzzz
Imagine bullet exiting barrel and flying on a brink of it's balance, the moment it comes in contact with anything it starts making summersaults. That is how it works. It was tested by both Soviet and US military but never found wide use as it does not have effective penetration when it comes to thick walls. However it is very bad for human targets. As far as Ar-15 vs. AK-47 . AK-47 is a machine gun! AR-15 is an automatic rifle! AK-47 comes in 7.62 and 5.65 calibers. So let's compare apples to apples. P.S. In terms of maintenance anything can be compared, I guess: so AK-47 consists of 5 large parts if you take it apart.
You have no ******* idea what you're talking about. All boat tail rifle rounds tumble. An AK-47 is an extremely rare assault rifle that hasn't been made for 60 years. In fact, almost nothing you've said so far has been right.
Originally Posted by thepataphysician
you know that feeling, when you are walking down the street, that "man, I hope that crazy guy can't get his hands on a gun" feeling. If you go to a shooting range in Philadelphia, look around, you will be surrounded by those guys. It is ok when you are in the range but later in the afternoon, walking down the street, you see one of those guys and realize that he is armed to the teeth. quite unnerving.
Man, I know. Can you imagine what would happen if the brown people who don't dress like the white middle class had the same rights as the rest of us?

thepataphysician

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
Man, I know. Can you imagine what would happen if the brown people who don't dress like the white middle class had the same rights as the rest of us?

I was not making a comment based on race at all. I was talking about the CRAZY guys who walk down the street talking to/yelling at themselves.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
An AK-47 is an extremely rare assault rifle that hasn't been made for 60 years.

??

AK-47 is a machine gun!
AR-15 is an automatic rifle!
AK-47 comes in 7.62 and 5.65 calibers. So let's compare apples to apples.
both are assult rifles, a maching gun is an entirely different thing.

the ak-47 comes in 7.62 - there is another member of the kalachnikov family that comes in 5.56, but that is a different weapon.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
??
The AK-47 was made for about a year after WW2, after which it was quickly replaced by the AKM. Generally, I am not this anal with people about this stuff, but in his case, I make an exception.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The AK-47 was made for about a year after WW2, after which it was quickly replaced by the AKM. Generally, I am not this anal with people about this stuff, but in his case, I make an exception.

this is the type of thing that I would be willing to pass over - sometimes the common term for something isn't actually correct, and it might have been the case here. I have always understood the 7.62 mm assult rifle made by russia and her allies was the AK-47.

but, I did a quick web search and havn't found anything that backs up what you are saying.

LSeca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
this is the type of thing that I would be willing to pass over - sometimes the common term for something isn't actually correct, and it might have been the case here.

This is actually the case for the term "AR-15" used here as well, but everyone uses the term in this way I guess. This designation refers to a specific manufacturer, Colt Industries, and it's particular model of the rifle. A more correct terminology would be the "M4" or "M-16" and/or the variants made by a very wide variety of brands.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
this is the type of thing that I would be willing to pass over - sometimes the common term for something isn't actually correct, and it might have been the case here. I have always understood the 7.62 mm assult rifle made by russia and her allies was the AK-47. but, I did a quick web search and havn't found anything that backs up what you are saying.
In most cases, I don't care, and it's not a particularly important distinction (though I always use it myself). In his case, considering how thoroughly wrong everything he's said so far has been, exception. Especially because of this off center bullet nonsense. I did, incidentally, mix up the dates. 59 for the AKM (though the AK-47 is quite rare these days). The AK-47 was adopted in 49, and it was the prototypes developed from the Stg44 pattern that were short lived after WW2.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads