• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tattoos - a fashion statement?

hchamp

Reaction score
I just heard that 36% of Americans between the ages 18 and 29 have tattoos. I knew they were popular and see a lot of them, but I didn't think they were this popular.

I don't have one and have never even considered getting one. So I'm curious about why people do this? And do they consider their fashion "look" when they choose one?

JamesATX

Reaction score
I think most of the time it is a personal decision, usually the tattoo has some emotional significance. Unless you are getting a tribal tattoo, that's done to be trendy.

jeansandtshirt

Reaction score
I'm not sure I'd call them fashionable. IMHO they are more like a trend you keep forever (or until you cover them up with clothing or pay to have them removed). I think for something to be fashionable it has to be easily removed.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most people who have bad tattoos say "it's personal" as a defence.

In high school I knew someone who got the eternal dragon of DBZ fame on his arm when he was 17.

180px-DBZ.TCG.png

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
I'm getting a huge portrait of Thom Browne on my back.

Badseeds

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i am never a fan of tattoos. hot girls w/ cute tattoos are different tho.

Socal, dont get thom browne on your back, get Mr. Rick owens instead, w/ high heels.
inlove.gif

lifersfc

Reaction score
I guess could imagine bringing home a nasty suicide girl for a one night fling, but I don't think I could seriously befriend anyone with a tattoo.

If that 36% statistic is correct, I live a sheltered life in the city.

kai-wun

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lifersfc
I guess could imagine bringing home a nasty suicide girl for a one night fling, but I don't think I could seriously befriend anyone with a tattoo.

If that 36% statistic is correct, I live a sheltered life in the city.

I would think so.

Though I have to say most of my friends do NOT have tattoos, my favourite one has at least 5. And they're unbelievably adorable. =)

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
Bumper stickers I've seen lately:

Life is short, tattoos are not, so get one now before you rot!

You can be cheap when buying your shoes, but not your tattoos!

The difference between people with tattoos and people without tattoos is that people with tattoos don't give a damn that you don't have tattoos.

BrettChaotix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that part of it is just the cultural/social changes over the years.... we are becoming a far more understanding and accepting of other's lifestyle choices, including piercing and tattoo fanatics...

Seriously, image it's 1955 and a guy walks into a store with a face full of piercings... he's probably not going to be able to walk out of the store without being harassed. Now in 2007 he might get some funny looks but for the most part everyone just shugs it off and accepts it.

Hell, onlookers probably have kids with posters of tattooed and pierced bands all over their walls. They'll shake their head and say "I don't get those kids" the same way that their parents did when they, as a teenager, had shaggy hair or something.

Of course, a 19 year old girl who gets the stereotypical "emo chest tattoo" with various stars, sparrows, hearts, etc... is still going to feel stupid when they are 75 years old - but yeah - there are plenty of hot suicide girls out there
inlove.gif
devil.gif
inlove.gif

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
I've wanted a tattoo for a long time, but I can't decide on anything that doesn't seem either completely pretentious, or boring and shallow.
musicboohoo[1].gif

I should have a contest! "Design a tattoo for Sauce", everyone submits art, I pick the one I like best... you'll get to see your creation in WAYW!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads