• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

names we dislike

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian278
I had a lot of Asian exchange students in my business grad student classes, and most of them had American names (no Brians that I knew of, actually). There was a Tom and a Victoria, and one kid who went by "Ig" who may or may not have renamed himself that. I always wondered what thought process went into giving yourself a new first name for your time in a different country. Many (myself included) offered to try to pronounce their real first names a few times but they always politely declined, which made it far easier for everyone.

in my experience it's always brian or david. i find it annoying especially since these names are not even american. the only american names are pocahantas, geronimo, and such.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
you can't pronounce it in english. the french is zah-vee-eh. the spanish is hah-bee-air, with a hard 'r'. the basque, i believe, is chah-vee-air. if you can't say it like that, don't bother. your mother's name is ee-vet-ah. please don't say 'uh'. and ya-vet-uh is not less correct, it's completely incorrect.
Wouldn't the Xavier (ha-bee-air), be Catalan? Spanish would be Javier? C'mon man. Prof X is named Xavier.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
Wouldn't the Xavier (ha-bee-air), be Catalan? Spanish would be Javier? C'mon man. Prof X is named Xavier.

the name is originally basque. javier is the castillian spelling (castellano). i don't know how they spell it in catalan or if they use the name at all.

i believe the reason xavier exists at all in english speaking countries is because there was a french saint named francois xavier, so catholics from other countries picked up the name.

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Benjamin (Ben is passable)
Brad, bruce, Skip etc
Also the American fondness for numbers and an initial initial: P Johnathon Katzenburger III, or a second initial, come to think of it. Pass the sick bag. Always a source of great amusement for many Brits.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Britalian
Benjamin (Ben is passable)
Brad, bruce, Skip etc
Also the American fondness for numbers and an initial initial: P Johnathon Katzenburger III, or a second initial, come to think of it. Pass the sick bag. Always a source of great amusement for many Brits.

One initial is Ludacris. Two, on the other hand, is awesome! Do Brits not do the numbering thing? They reserve that for monarchy?

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
People named Robert tend to be very angsty. People named Chris tend to be very ordinary.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone think that their names do not suit them? I think I look like what my name is.

seanchai

Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
the name is originally basque. javier is the castillian spelling (castellano). i don't know how they spell it in catalan or if they use the name at all.

i believe the reason xavier exists at all in english speaking countries is because there was a french saint named francois xavier, so catholics from other countries picked up the name.

Sha-vee-air, like Xabi Alonso. Although I find this "you can only say it like the Basque (or the French or the Spanish)" a little stupid, as by this logic you could ONLY say it with the original pronunciation. It was absorbed into French and Spanish lexicons, why not American English?

rubylith

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector

Heh, I have a cousin named Xavier, and we've always called him "X." If he ever becomes a teacher (doubtful), we'll just have to call him Professor X.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by seanchai
Sha-vee-air, like Xabi Alonso. Although I find this "you can only say it like the Basque (or the French or the Spanish)" a little stupid, as by this logic you could ONLY say it with the original pronunciation. It was absorbed into French and Spanish lexicons, why not American English?

This is one of my pet peeves. When people try to pronounce foreign words in foreign accents. I like going to different countries and have them pronounce my name with an accent.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Some Chinese folks I know love to put the word "Rich" in their whelps' names- because they're "rich" see?! And I'm talking about you, you bunch of dumbass cousins-in-law! The old man named his two sons Richmond and Richie and now the male grandsnots are named Richwin (WTF?!), Richard.... I HATE YOUR NAMES!

ts4them

Reaction score
CK!! My name is SO on the original list, lol. I have noticed that often in movies/tv the people who have my name are either assholes or gay. Sometimes they're gay assholes. They are typically good looking however
lol8[1].gif
. I don't like the names Larry, Carl, Chuck, Charlie, Charles, Sal (ewwww), Fred, Blair, Barney...

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
Some Chinese folks I know love to put the word "Rich" in their whelps' names- because they're "rich" see?! And I'm talking about you, you bunch of dumbass cousins-in-law! The old man named his two sons Richmond and Richie and now the male grandsnots are named Richwin (WTF?!), Richard.... I HATE YOUR NAMES!
Why can't you just all call them "Dick?"

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
Aalyiah, iliayah, aleya and the millions of different ways i've seen that ******* name spelled. I swear to god, i get a different spelling every day at work, not to mention all the different ways to spell lakeesha.

Take any name previously mentioned and add a "-tayshawn" suffix.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads