• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Arm Bands.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always thought they were to keep the sleeves shorter (useful if you're pouring drinks or dealing cards, so you don't get dirty and can't hide things up your sleeve). Why would you do that under a jacket? Don't you WANT to show a sleeve?

juniper

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GoSurface
I don't get it. How do you put them on?

They go over the shirt-sleeves, so as to keep the length correct relative to the jacket. Or simply to keep the shirt-sleeves out of the way (if you're a telegraph operator!)

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aaah ok. I think the fact that they were cinched in the middle confused me.
blush.gif

oDD_LotS

Reaction score
I don't wear them anymore, but when I was younger (maybe 9-13) I had a tux (tails, tophat, the works) that I wore for performances that I'd picked up when a local clothier shut its doors. At the time, the only accompanying ruffled (yes, I know) shirts I could find to fit my neck were FAR too long in the sleeves. A similar product was purchased to adjust the sleeve length. They worked rather well, if I remember correctly, though they might not have been the most comfortable solution.

Now days, I just try to buy the correct size, or barring that, take it to a tailor.

42 Dandy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
I wouldn't wear those, but if I did it would be on a shirt sleeve not a suit sleeve and ideally I'd be dealing cards and wearing a visor.

lol8[1].gif
-good one!

A Canuker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think they fall back to the days of the printing press and one trying to avoid ink on your sleaves.

My father used a set that he passed to me exactly like the ones in the photo. I have a second set at the office that I do use once in a while which are thinner and wrapped in pink and blue cloth.

I find that on a monday when the AC has been off during the weekend sliding these into a rolled cuff keeps it well placed all day. Don't know if this is how they are to be used but it works like a charm.

Chauncey Gardner

Reaction score
For their mix of style and utility, there's nothing that beats arm bands. I'm quite fond of wearing them, sometimes for adjusting a wonky shirt-sleeve length under my jacket and more often simply for the way they look when I remove my jacket. They give a touch of style, which besides getting interest suggests authority.

Consider how helpful they are for keeping shirt cuffs clean when jacketless, or for keeping the cuffs dry when washing one's hands.

I always wear them when I give a slide presentation, or am working with photographs or art work, for I don't want to go to the trouble of removing my cuff links, and arm bands allow me to adjust my sleeves quickly so I don't knock over stacks of slides or scratch art. Yes, I find them virtually essential in my wardrobe.

jkennett

Reaction score
They remind me of "Captain's" armbands that you put on the football (soccer) pitch. I'd as soon just get the shirts tailored to the correct length since I'm not working with an antique printing press (or whatever it was originally intended for).

Carruthers

Reaction score
I was under the impression that these sort of armbands are a holdover from the days when RTW shirts were even more generically-sized because everyone wore removable collars AND cuffs. Because sleeves were generally too long and one's jacket was more often left on all day I think they were used more widely than just by those operating printing presses.

The best modern use of them I have seen was by the waiters at a fairly old-fashioned Toronto steakhouse who make putting these armbands on part of the ceremony of the table-side caesar salad making performance.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wear them occasionally, with some shirts that are a little too long in the sleeve but I don't feel are worth the expense of shortening. They're functional, easy to use and look quite nice in a somewhat archaic way when the jacket's off. Can't see a problem with them, and lots of advantages.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair that I use with a couple of old Hathaway shirts that I purchased at the factory in Prescott -- I got the sleeve length wrong (too long) and these are the simple way to resolve that problem.

I never remove my jacket in public, so they are never seen. The only problem with them is that they necessarily constrict the arm a little, so I will not wear them (or those shirts) if I am in for a longish day at the office. I have not experienced a problem with my suit linings as a result of wearing them.

As my shirts are increasingly custom made, I don't expect to wear them beyond the lifespan of the Hathaway shirts.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Carruthers
I was under the impression that these sort of armbands are a holdover from the days when RTW shirts were even more generically-sized because everyone wore removable collars AND cuffs. Because sleeves were generally too long and one's jacket was more often left on all day I think they were used more widely than just by those operating printing presses.

The best modern use of them I have seen was by the waiters at a fairly old-fashioned Toronto steakhouse who make putting these armbands on part of the ceremony of the table-side caesar salad making performance.

You are correct on both accounts.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jkennett
They remind me of "Captain's" armbands that you put on the football (soccer) pitch. I'd as soon just get the shirts tailored to the correct length since I'm not working with an antique printing press (or whatever it was originally intended for).

Attachment 5252

contactme_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know who still sells these?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads